UnevenEdge

Anime Brackets

Admin

a new batch of anime gives me yet another chance to catch up with all the new anime.

so trying this for the new board.  I will watch two new shows head to head.  Then I will pick one to advance. 

The advancing show, I will watch the next episode head to head with another show that also advanced.

until only one remains!  The winning one.

round 1:

18if episode 1  vs  Ballroom e Youkoso (Welcome To the Ballroom) episode 1

18if was nice.  Fantasy anime (light in tone but heavy on the fantasy) with a lot of comedy, drama and emotion threaded in.  It has that quality that it feels familiar in context, yet is capable of a surprise or two.  Visually very rich, with a lot of fantastical dreamlike elements. 

Ballroom had the seed elements of a decent coming of age comedy/drama.  I felt that the "Ballroom" part was almost a throwaway in the sense that I expected more music and also for the dancing elements to be more visually interesting.  For a show about Ballroom, I felt what animated dance sequences there were didn't seem to much care about it.  There was no real capturing of what it was in the movement.  It felt more just like a thing that was in the script that they then had to draw, and then animate.  I didn't feel like anybody on the visual or directorial end really got that deeply into it.  What animated dance sequences are there are barely passable, and the character movement in general seems a little clunky for a show about Ballroom.  Also I found my mind wandering more than once during it.

So, personally, while I felt there was a lot of potential in Ballroom (much of it not realized), I was much more entertained by 18if.

so this round goes to 18if.

Round 1 Part 2:

Battle Girl High School episode 1  Vs  Centaur No Nayami  episode 1

With Battle Girl High School, I found very little to hook into.  It's so generic it pretty much disappears into the anime landscape fairly easily (and rightly so).  There's a lot of action in the first act, but it ends up being pointless, with no real set up or anything, and the decision for like the entire class to be involved in the first battle.  So there's like 30 little girls in super hero/mech costumes fighting some generic monster things.  None of it is particularly striking animation-wise or idea-wise.  The comedy/slice-of-life school scenes I thought were boring.  It's anime.  So it's pretty hyper and colorful and there are monsters in it.  So it's not a total loss.  But I hope Centaur is good so I don't have to watch the second episode of this.

Centaur no Nayami:  more school.  Instead of all super hero/mech girls, this one has all fantasy race type characters (centaurs and demons and angels and stuff) of mixed gender.  Comedy ensues when the characters put on a school play.  I find that I sort of like this idea better, and I like the potential in the relationship between what appear to be the two main characters.  But the episode is really badly paced, and often suffers from the same problems that Battle Girl High School does. 

while I think Centaur is a bit more memorable, Battle Girl High at least has a couple of action sequences in it (not great ones, but still). 

I think I will give it to Centaur just based on - the only element in either of these two shows that interested me even a little was the relationship between the centaur and the demon characters.

So Centaur advances to next round.

round 1 part 3:  Children Of Ether episode 1  Vs  Clione No Araki episode 1

Children Of Ether is definitely more up my alley with the violence and the blood and all like that.  Ninja fights and supernatural powers and traincrashsplosion!  A meat n taters anime with lots of violence, but also lots of heart.  Packed with interesting characters, neat visuals, and plenty of action sequences.  All that in a half-show (14 minute segment).  Economical and awesome.

This would be an excellent choice for Toonami.

Clione no Araki is also short.  And, for what it is, not too bad or anything.  But I'm not really into this type of anime, more slice of life, at least in this chapter.  Not bad.  Kind of dull though, because more into action anime.

There's just no way I wouldn't pick Children Of Ether.  Basically Ether had literally everything I love in an anime.  Can't wait for more.

This season has too many things to watch. I've for once liked everything I've watched.

Made in Abyss, Princess Principal, and Kakegurui are all legitimately good, and 18if is intriguing enough to keep me watching despite being a tad more uneven.

am looking forward to those too.

round 1 part 4:  Dive! episode 1  Vs  Enmusubi no Yoko episode 1

Dive was difficult to make it through for me.  too slow and kind of like Ballroom in that I didn't feel like it hit any high notes with the animation.  I didn't really like Ballroom, but there were memorable things in it, and beats it hit story-wise that were interesting that I feel like Dive maybe missed.

Enmusubi, right off the bat, it's pretty charming.  Degenerates at times into overt anime stupidness, and is sprinkled lightly with cheap fanservice.  As lighter-vein action-comedies go, it's not too bad.  There are a lot of interesting little things in it all through the episode.  Bits of it are kind of embarrassing.  But there's something about anime where that element somehow adds to the aforementioned charm.  Not great.  But the overall tone is light enough, and the underlying power struggles are interesting enough that it makes for an entertaining distraction.

Definitely going with Enmusubi of these two.

round 1 part 5

Fate/Apocrypha episode 1  Vs  Hina Logi episode 1

Fate/Apocrypha opens with some spectacle.  followed by tons of exposition.  But the animation and art are good enough to hold attention.  I like the character designs too.  The plot seems a bit unnecessarily convoluted for what is basically a "red vs black" scenario.  But out of that convolution there are some kind of neat-seeming things that rise up.  Ultimately it all worked for me.  If this were to lose for some reason, I would keep watching it anyway.  It's pretty solid.  Lots of characters and decent action.

Hina Logi is colorful and screechy.  Kind of annoying, but also cute in spots.  If you're into this kinda thing, I'd think you'd like this one.  But I am not.  So - eh.  It was okay, but just not my thing. 

Fate/Apocrypha advances hands down this round.

• 3 weeks later...