UnevenEdge

Children Who Chase Lost Voices

Admin

Good news is it did very well for them and everyone is very happy, Demarco said.  So, we might see a movie or two once in a blue moon down the road...

well at least some good stuff happened this year

evidently semi-on topic but I thought Asuna's voice sounded familiar, it's Hilary Haag, she's essentially a sound-alike of both Lisa Ortiz and Luci Christian('s little girl voice)

evidently semi-on topic but I thought Asuna's voice sounded familiar, it's Hilary Haag, she's essentially a sound-alike of both Lisa Ortiz and Luci Christian('s little girl voice)

It did sound familiar.  Who else has Hilary Haag played?

I'll just leave my thoughts from the old board:

Well the first thing I can say is this definitely felt like it was trying to be a Studio Ghibli film. If I hadn't known it wasn't going in I definitely would have thought it was one. The art style and character/creature designs were very reminiscent. And easily the best thing about this was those visuals. Absolutely stunning, though even that doesn't give them justice. Asuna was a very earnest, likeable protagonist, and the male leads both worked well enough. The plot did too, but the message behind the film about death being a natural part of life and all that fell flat for me. Not because it's untrue, or because there's no merit to that message, but rather simply because it's extremely well worn territory by this point. For me anyway. I've seen this concept tackled so much in media, from a brief Yoda scene in Revenge of the Sith to the core theme of 24/26 episode anime Casshern Sins, and everywhere in between. Maybe were that not the case I would have appreciated it more here. Instead it felt very by the numbers. Even Asuna's brief possession at the end wasn't much of a shakeup to the formula. It would be kinda nice if just once the dead loved one really did get resurrected with no consequences, but then that would send the wrong message I suppose. The world building was much stronger than the end goal in this film. The exotic creatures and locals really stood out. The stretch from Asuna helping to save the mute girl to leaving her with her Grandfather and continuing on the journey via boat was probably my favorite part of the film. The dub I thought was fine with a couple minor nitpicks. First, just the mouthflap matching was a bit spotty at times. Nothing major, but Sentai seems most susceptible to this of all the dubbing companies. Second, and again very minor, but it irked me that they had Brittney Karbowski voice Asuna's friend AND Shin's friend. She was fine, but really Sentai? Too cheap to use two actresses? Overall I thought it was good, and I'm glad I watched it, but I doubt I'll ever get the desire to revisit it. 7/10

now I thought her voice reminded me of Rosette Christopher from Chrono Crusade

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to watching this a couple days ago.  My primary DVR failed to record it, so I had to use a screencapture program to get a copy of the Toonami airing from XFinity on Campus.  That was terrible.  But, I got it, so I'm happy.

This was an excellent movie.  Definitely not typical Toonami fare, but I don't think it mattered that much.  The story was great, and the animation was beautiful.  My only main complaint is that Ark Angel just kinda disappeared from the movie, but even then, that's justified and isn't much of a complaint.  I'm glad this did well for Toonami, especially since it may mean we get some more movies in the future.

I STILL missed what Asuna said when she was asked why she came to Agartha about 2 hours 3 minutes into the movie, but I've rewatched it twice, and it really is a great movie.

Still holding out hope that Toonami can run it again, either December 17th at 1 AM (Gundam IBO ends on the 10th), or Christmas Eve at Midnight.

Now starting anew on the Toonami Marathon Stream!

It will play on the stream at roughly the following times (thru 8 AM Monday, December 5th):

9:45 PM

2:55 AM

8:05 AM

1:15 PM

[all times and music eastern]

It might get a little sliver in at 6:25 PM tonight and tomorrow, but unfortunately it won't last long until Pre-Flight takes over at 6:30!

Well, this is it: the 10th and final playing on the Stream this weekend! I've managed to catch parts of 9 out of 10 of them, sacrificing tonight's 9:45-ish playing for the Walking/Talking Dead!

It's a great movie, but at this point I would be perfectly content with Toonami no longer having anything to do with it after tonight. It's had a good run!