UnevenEdge

Tokyo Ghoul episode 12: "GHOUL" discussion

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2/10, would not watch again.

Possibly the worst show to ever pop into the Toonami block by far. Can't wait for season two... ::)

I say DW is worse but this was damned close.

People SWEAR the manga is good and not complete garbage like the anime but I don't see how that's possible.

People SWEAR the manga is good and not complete garbage like the anime but I don't see how that's possible.

those people are mother fucking liars :|

those people are mother fucking liars :|

It reminds me of Deadman Wonderland. People always swore the Manga was good even as they admitted the anime sucked.

At least in Deadman's case... I can see how maybe it could be decent... the story is sort of coherent. In TG's case I just don't buy it.

What's the worst?  Tokyo Ghoul, Dimension W, or Tenchi Muyo GXP.

Hmm, on the Toonami Showdown Podcast, Gman decided to read the manga to compare. 

Apparently the anime cuts out a lot of the character growth, interactions, plot details, etc, to rush to get to the fights and gore.  Order of events are also rearranged and things in gemeral are altered a bit.  So characters are better developed and what they do makes a lot more sense, story is better, etc.  Supposedly.  I almost want to read it out of morbid curiousity, but this show has me so infuriated (especially considering what we could've gotten instead), that I don't know if I want to bother.  The whole franchise is pretty tainted for me at this point.

It reminds me of Deadman Wonderland. People always swore the Manga was good even as they admitted the anime sucked.

At least in Deadman's case... I can see how maybe it could be decent... the story is sort of coherent. In TG's case I just don't buy it.

I wouldn't say Deadman Wonderland sucked.  It was fun and over the top and unlike this show wasn't taking itself too seriously nor thought it was making some grand statement.  The anime was good enough for what it was but you could tell there was more potential there it never got to simply because it was so short.  Hell Toonami fans so strongly demanded it be run again that it returned long after the first airing, which is the only time something like that has happened with this block.

With this show I've heard the manga differences so I suppose it's possible, but I dunno.  Is it really worth finding out either way?  Plenty of other anime or manga I'd rather dive into than prove for myself whether the Tokyo Ghoul manga really doesn't suck.

Ok, how the hell do you end the season with no wrap-up or checking on the other characters, and abandoning multiple things that were going on before this episode? 

Did we really need a whole 20 minures on mind games and torture?  Did they not plan out anything?!

Yeah uh... the One eyed owl monster thing... what happened with that? Did we just ... forget about that?

I mean, it looked like they were setting it up for something.. they ended the last episode on it.... and then.. nothing?

That's beyond bad.

What's the worst?  Tokyo Ghoul, Dimension W, or Tenchi Muyo GXP.

Hmm, on the Toonami Showdown Podcast, Gman decided to read the manga to compare. 

Apparently the anime cuts out a lot of the character growth, interactions, plot details, etc, to rush to get to the fights and gore.  Order of events are also rearranged and things in gemeral are altered a bit.  So characters are better developed and what they do makes a lot more sense, story is better, etc.  Supposedly.  I almost want to read it out of morbid curiousity, but this show has me so infuriated (especially considering what we could've gotten instead), that I don't know if I want to bother.  The whole franchise is pretty tainted for me at this point.

DW is still worse IMO. That show is just a giant pile of convoluted nonsense. Unlike TG and Deadman no one even tries to defend it by saying the manga is good.

He hates coils... but hunts coils!

That would be like someone being a coal miner... but they hate coal!

Will Ferrel once proposed an SNL sketch where he was a hat salesman... who was afraid of hats. Tina Fey looked at him and was like... "is that really the best you've got?"

Basically the entire concept behind DW was so bad that it wasn't good enough to become a 5 minute SNL skit.

DW is still worse IMO. That show is just a giant pile of convoluted nonsense. Unlike TG and Deadman no one even tries to defend it by saying the manga is good.

He hates coils... but hunts coils!

That would be like someone being a coal miner... but they hate coal!

Will Ferrel once proposed an SNL sketch where he was a hat salesman... who was afraid of hats. Tina Fey looked at him and was like... "is that really the best you've got?"

Basically the entire concept behind DW was so bad that it wasn't good enough to become a 5 minute SNL skit.

Did you see GXP?  It was pretty horrid, and the ratings were so bad it got down-slotted heavily pretty quickly, which almost never happens.  Still, the kind of badness in that show I don't think is the same kind here.  That show knew what it was.  Tokyo Ghoul is just an endless series of baffling incompetent decisions.

Hmm, most coal miner's probably hate coal, and coal mining. :D Pretty much every movie, book, or documentary deals with how horrible it is to be a coal miner.  They do it because it pays well.

I get what you're saying, though.  Main character (can't remember his name at the moment, maybe that's a good thing) was shown to be a technophobe who hated coils, so it doesn't make much sense for him to do a job that surrounds him with them.

That might be because barely any of it was translated at the time.  Which probably isn't a good sign, either, LOL.  But apparently, the anime compressed a fuckton of chapters into those episodes, like some ungodly amount.  Still, I can't imagine how that story would be much better or make much more sense if had a lot more room to breathe.  Like you said, just the main premise of the story was nonsensical.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/31163/Dimension_W

The rating for this series 7.33.  I just skimmed some of the reviews and they're glowing.  What the fuck... what the fuck what the fuck!

https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=215112

Oh, thank God, they're not all crazy. :D

You should check Crunchyrolls ratings. The show has to be amazingly bad to get less than a 4.0 out of 5. Naruto is a 4.7 out of 5. HxH... 4.8 out of 5.

And I would understand hating being a coal miner. But actually hating the coal itself? As in coal, the inanimate object? And then knowing that you hate coal, going into the profession of coal miner?

I wouldn't expect that any more than I would expect someone that hates nuclear power to seek out a job working at a nuclear power plant.

GXP is pretty bad, but at least mildly amusing? I just didn't expect much from a Tenchi Muyo show without the main characters I guess.

I couldn't figure out where the ratings were on their website.  The "brilliant" HxH only one decimal point higher than Naruto?  LOOOOOOOL.  I think many anime fans must grade high, or are very generous.  Or maybe it's like that 7/10 thing that goes on with videogames.  Or maybe it's a lot of new fans and so the first shows they see don't seem so bad.  I dunno', though.  I think if Dimension W was the first anime I ever saw, I would never watch anime again. :D

Hmm.  It's like someone who is straight edge opening a bar. :D This is a great beer, I promise! :D

Whale Biologist.... hahahahahahaha.

I couldn't figure out where the ratings were on their website.  The "brilliant" HxH only one decimal point higher than Naruto?  LOOOOOOOL.  I think many anime fans must grade high, or are very generous.  Or maybe it's like that 7/10 thing that goes on with videogames.  Or maybe it's a lot of new fans and so the first shows they see don't seem so bad.  I dunno', though.  I think if Dimension W was the first anime I ever saw, I would never watch anime again. :D

Hmm.  It's like someone who is straight edge opening a bar. :D This is a great beer, I promise! :D

Whale Biologist.... hahahahahahaha.

No lie. I used to think Elven Lied was the shit when I first started to actively watch anime. Now I know that it's just shit.

But it's still better than Tokyo Ghoul, by many miles.

No lie. I used to think Elven Lied was the shit when I first started to actively watch anime. Now I know that it's just shit.

I thought it was shit immediately :P

it's kind of like an attempted deconstruction of "Magical girlfriend" series like Chobits

except it's really really bad

Elven lied is an entertaining clusterfuck. You've got ultra violence, children being murdered... a cousin on cousin love thing going on, child molestation, a character with split personalities..... one of which can only say one word, and a guy with repressed memories. And a dub that's apparently bad in Japanese as well as English.

A girl who is eternally in love with a guy because she spent a week with him when they were like... 10.

Oh and a non manga ending and no S2 to wrap anything up.

And It's still a million times better than TG.

Elven lied is an entertaining clusterfuck. You've got ultra violence... a cousin on cousin love thing going on, child molestation, a character with split personalities..... one of which can only say one word, and a guy with repressed memories. And a dub that's apparently bad in Japanese as well as English.

Oh and a non manga ending and no S2 to wrap anything up.

And It's still a million times better than TG.

if you crossbread Tokyo Ghoul with Blood-C and put the resulting anime aside

then Crossbred Tenchi Muyo with Chobits and put that aside

then took both of the resulting hybrid animes and crossbred them together

you'd get Elfen Lied