UnevenEdge

Moana's Director says an LGBT princess movie is "possible"

mochi

not that one is happening in the near future but that Disney is "keeping the option open"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/moana-directors-possibilities-are-open-for-lgbtq-disney-princess_us_582a8696e4b060adb5701ac0?section=us_queer-voices?

what I gleam from this

Disney knows they have to do something Gay since all their competitors have already(in some capacity) so they're making hollow promises

my Predictions for this if an LGBT princess does happen

1. it'll be a Lesbian since it's "prettier" and more marketable that way(i.e. they can just repurpose Ariel's head mold for the dolls like with Elsa, Anna and Rapunzel)

2. related to the first point, she'll be white, so they can use that as an excuse to make her an Ariel look-alike again

3. if it comes out soon, it'll be very rushed and not good

4. if it comes out a looooong time from now, nobody will care and will make fun of Disney for taking so long

5. they could also choose the "we dont care so we're gonna do it cheap" route and make her a TV only Princess in a low budget Disney channel series like Elena of Avalor rather than give her an actual movie they spent time, money or effort on

6. they'll allow for plausible deniability if anyone gets angry about their kids movie pushing they "Gay agenda" (like when they backpedaled on the Lesbian couple in finding Dory saying they were "whatever you want them to be" )

realisically there's only a small handfull of stories Disney could even use as source material for an LGBT princess movie, and unless they make up their own all the ones I know of are male/male romances (and not very good ones)

"the Princes and the Treasure", : a story about two men who set off on a quest to rescue a princess, then realize they're gay for eachother, (the princess then reveals she orchestrated her own kidnapping specifically to run away from a marriage she didn't want), then they both become Princes........somehowww?, and have a gay wedding(note: the illustrations in the book are specifically drawn in a Disney art style and the book was used as a Prank several years ago, claiming that Disney was developing a movie based on it, when they weren't)

"King and King" : a story about two Kings falling in love....that's about the entire story

"the Bravest knight who ever lived" : a story about a Knight who rescues a man (the Prince) and his Sister (the Princess) from a Dragon, and is offered the Princesse's hand in marriage....only to turn it down and instead ask for her Brother's hand in marriage instead (there's no implication he's gay before this, the story literally springs that he's gay in at the last second)

there were other Stories they could've done LGBT interpertations of....but they made movies of most of those as hetero love stories already, the little mermaid being one (the story was literally written by a Gay dude after his crush/possible lover left him for a woman)

there's also people hoping they make Elsa Gay in frozen 2......but......that feels like a cop-out to me, to just make Elsa a lesbian in a low-budget straight to video Disney sequel (kinda like Making Cinderella's sister Anastasiagiphy.gif nice (and a great deal less ugly6107778034_73683d7651.jpg)in Cinderella 2 out of nowhere)

This article is kinda garbage. Just kinda goes with why my friend who went to college for journalism said that it's now dead opinion pieces.  It's acting Moana is doing something that no Disney film has done before. It's like they forget that Mulan and Pocahontas were made.  "But Moana rescues the guy" So do the aforementioned characters. Lets also face that a Polynesian character isn't a huge jump when you have already done Native American and Chinese, (which is pretty much what a polynesian is).  Then they talk about it being the first woman on a quest not trying to find true love thing like true grit. Except Brave had already done that and is seen as one of the worst Disney films. 

They keep going back to Ariel as whats wrong with disney princesses. Yeah I get it, she's a dumb teen that falls in love at first sight, doesn't know what a fork is, and has men fix all of her self created problems. It's not a good role model character for kids. However people don't remember the little mermaid for that. They remember the great music and animation.  It doesn't hurt that Ariel isn't bad looking either. Look at Frozen, if it weren't for the two songs build a snowman/let it go, I wouldn't even remember the film. The animation, character depth, and story were all so forgettable for me.

They did say that this is just what the Director is willing to do, and there has been no comment by Disney.  That is in the same respects as if John Waters had an idea to make a film for Disney.  If that were the case I would actually love to see that. Still it's just a Director is willing to make a project with the idea in mind.  Disney I think is smart enough to know how pandering works. They marketed Zootopia with furries as the target audience afterall.  However you can go under the radar a lot easier with anthropomorphized characters. The story was pretty meh buddy cop film that had been done to death, but it had good animation and targeted it's audiance, but still kept stuff under the radar "enough" for it to be kid friendly.  It's also easier for people to accept things when it isn't outright a human. People tend to assign the race they are most comfortable with as the characters when there isn't really a race and more of a species. Which is kinda odd since people say that Nick represented the black community (really why did you pick a conartist to repres...nevermind), however most human fanart I have seen of him is white same goes for Judy. 

I digress, I think if it were gay humans the best Disney could hope for would be to just have the characters be gay, but not make romance the key part of the plot. The very vocal minority of the lgbt wants everything to be loud and colorful to represent them, but they don't get that people can't relate to that. It's funny as the main example I have to go on is Dumbledore. Not even movie Dumbledore, just the character in general. I would always find some anti Dumbledore rant  that he wasn't gay enough. Pretty much they wanted him to be an old queen that would tell Hermione to do something with her hair, and say sub betch when he talks to Mcgonagall .  That is until I see someone talk shit on JK for making him gay or the character for being gay. Then comments turn into the gay equivalent of nazi hate speech.

The point I'm making is that no matter how gay they go, it will piss off a large majority of people.  Going gay at all will piss off a lot of people and be banned from over seas markets like Russia and China (really big cash loss). Going the Anderson Cooper route will piss off the vocal minority of lgbt (found it odd that he actually gets hate from lgbt which is weird), Going camp gay will piss off the silent majority of gays.  Really it's not the kind of film that Disney would make other than to make a statement. They would actually be thinking about how much they are willing to lose, rather than how much is this going to make us.

This article is kinda garbage. Just kinda goes with why my friend who went to college for journalism said that it's now dead opinion pieces.  It's acting Moana is doing something that no Disney film has done before. It's like they forget that Mulan and Pocahontas were made.  "But Moana rescues the guy" So do the aforementioned characters. Lets also face that a Polynesian character isn't a huge jump when you have already done Native American and Chinese, (which is pretty much what a polynesian is).  Then they talk about it being the first woman on a quest not trying to find true love thing like true grit. Except Brave had already done that and is seen as one of the worst Disney films.  not to mention lilo and stitch was a thing, Lilo and Nani just weren't Princesses

They keep going back to Ariel as whats wrong with disney princesses. Yeah I get it, she's a dumb teen that falls in love at first sight, doesn't know what a fork is, and has men fix all of her self created problems. It's not a good role model character for kids. However people don't remember the little mermaid for that. They remember the great music and animation.  It doesn't hurt that Ariel isn't bad looking either. Look at Frozen, if it weren't for the two songs build a snowman/let it go, I wouldn't even remember the film. The animation, character depth, and story were all so forgettable for me. Ariel and Mulan are actually the two closest things Disney's ever had to an LGBT princess, Ariel because her source story was written by a heartbroken gay guy after the man he was in love with treated him like shit and chose a woman over him, and Mulan because she lives as a man for most of the movie

They did say that this is just what the Director is willing to do, and there has been no comment by Disney.  That is in the same respects as if John Waters had an idea to make a film for Disney.  If that were the case I would actually love to see that. Still it's just a Director is willing to make a project with the idea in mind.  Disney I think is smart enough to know how pandering works. They marketed Zootopia with furries as the target audience afterall.  However you can go under the radar a lot easier with anthropomorphized characters. The story was pretty meh buddy cop film that had been done to death, but it had good animation and targeted it's audiance, but still kept stuff under the radar "enough" for it to be kid friendly.  It's also easier for people to accept things when it isn't outright a human. People tend to assign the race they are most comfortable with as the characters when there isn't really a race and more of a species. Which is kinda odd since people say that Nick represented the black community (really why did you pick a conartist to repres...nevermind), however most human fanart I have seen of him is white same goes for Judy. 

I digress, I think if it were gay humans the best Disney could hope for would be to just have the characters be gay, but not make romance the key part of the plot. The very vocal minority of the lgbt wants everything to be loud and colorful to represent them, but they don't get that people can't relate to that. It's funny as the main example I have to go on is Dumbledore. Not even movie Dumbledore, just the character in general. I would always find some anti Dumbledore rant  that he wasn't gay enough. Pretty much they wanted him to be an old queen that would tell Hermione to do something with her hair, and say sub betch when he talks to Mcgonagall .  That is until I see someone talk shit on JK for making him gay or the character for being gay. Then comments turn into the gay equivalent of nazi hate speech.

The point I'm making is that no matter how gay they go, it will piss off a large majority of people.  Going gay at all will piss off a lot of people and be banned from over seas markets like Russia and China (really big cash loss). Going the Anderson Cooper route will piss off the vocal minority of lgbt (found it odd that he actually gets hate from lgbt which is weird), Going camp gay will piss off the silent majority of gays.  Really it's not the kind of film that Disney would make other than to make a statement. They would actually be thinking about how much they are willing to lose, rather than how much is this going to make us.

but yeah a Gay princess is not gonna happen, Disney only does what they think is socially acceptable and marketable....hell with Trump as President they're more likely to make a Ku Klux Klan Princess than a gay princess:|