UnevenEdge

Samurai Jack Episode "XCIX" Season 5 Discussion Thread

Ahh so homosexuals don't like seeing straight romance now? Didn't know that.

the ones up in arms are mostly fujoshis

(aka women who think gay men are "cute things" for them to collect like pokemon)

I tend to be ravenous about gay stuff but only if I'm led to believe a conscious effort was made to malign or exclude us

I also hate stereotypes whereas Fujoshi love them and think they are insulted when actual gay people don't behave in line with stereotypes

I also have a hang up about Voltron legendary defender but that's more dissapointment that the writers didn't use the fact that they were on netflix to do a BETTER JOB at Gay represenation then they did on Legend of Korra

in Legend of Korra they wanted Korra and Asami to be a couple but they were only allowed to imply it "subtly" and were not allowed to let them kiss

on Netflix they could've shown a gay couple actually  kiss

but it didn't even occur to them to try

what a missed opportunity

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having not seen Voltron, what did it have to do with gayness?

the writing staff previously worked on the Legend of Korra (which ended with two female characters as a romantic couple)

and Season 1 of Voltron Legendary defender had some mild queerbaiting (such as making it seem like Pidge was a Transgender girl and having Keith say ship-teasy things such as "we had a moment, I cradled you in my arms" to Lance)

then in season two they explicitly confirmed that everyone was heterosexual

You don't change a series that existed prior like that.  As for Voltron, everything with Keith and Lance was headcanon and I'm kinda sick of it.

yet you're fine with them making Lance Cuban, Allura Black, Hunk Hawaiian, Pidge White and female and Keith Galra?

when in the original everyone was Japanese

if they were gonna change everyone's race and gender they could've made somebody gay too

the writing staff previously worked on the Legend of Korra (which ended with two female characters as a romantic couple)

and Season 1 of Voltron Legendary defender had some mild queerbaiting (such as making it seem like Pidge was a Transgender girl and having Keith say ship-teasy things such as "we had a moment, I cradled you in my arms" to Lance)

then in season two they explicitly confirmed that everyone was heterosexual

... oooh.  .... never heard of the queer-baiting.  I did hear that Pidge's gender was ambiguous but I just assumed the gay shipping were all stuff the fans made up, not anything the creators included in the show FOR THE PURPOSE of queer-baiting. 

... oooh.  .... never heard of the queer-baiting.  I did hear that Pidge's gender was ambiguous but I just assumed the gay shipping were all stuff the fans made up, not anything the creators included in the show FOR THE PURPOSE of queer-baiting.

if not for the "I cradled you in my arms" scene I'd have written it off as stuff that was imagined myself

also pidge's gender isn't ambiguous they confirm she's female about half-way through season 1 (one of Allura's mice apparently somehow saw her in enough of a state of undress to figure out she wasn't a boy and relays the info to Allura who then starts trying to out her as a girl for no apparent reason other than that she apparently has no respect for pidge's privacy, Pidge later confesses she is a girl a few episodes later)

y'know watching this without a mouthfull of tequila is making me somewhat more annoyed with how Jack and Ashi were behaving in it

it isn't even that it's rushed it's that they're both so out of character