UnevenEdge

I accidentally a pet

GaiusIuliusCaesar

His or her name is Apep and they are a northern brown snake, (Storeria dekayi) whose habitat I accidentally destroyed whilst cleaning my yard. They were living in a pile of leaves on my side of the property line. Said pile of leaves is now in a yard waste bag awaiting disposal.

I decided to keep it since I was planning on getting a snake anyway and I wanted one native to the region, and because I have tons of experience with this particular species.

and also because they eat worms, snails, and slugs, not rodents, and can therefore be fed without me having to actually buy food as all 3 of those things exist in large quantities in my yard.

Unfortunately I did not have a terrarium for him, so his temporary home is an old wine bucket. in which I placed a thin layer of soil, followed by leaves, followed by reptile bedding. The bucket is 5 gallons and has a small hole at the top for air. I put a small dish of water in there for him. That should be good for about a week which is how long I predict him being in there until I get him a proper tank.

like 56% sure its male based on its relative size and shape.

This is what they look like, 0942.jpeg

I'll get an actual pic once the aquarium is purchased.

cute, I like snakes

As do I, in fact they are my favorite animal and have been for most of my life. I used to spend hours in the summer catching and playing with them. But my mother would never let me keep one in the house. Good thing I now have the downstairs apartment to myself, its sectioned offer from the rest of the house and only accessible from outside, ergo its not in her house. Also she doesn't know about it, a state of affairs I intend to keep until after I get the aquarium. Its a small snake so I only need about a 10 gallon tank. should run me about 30 bucks including hides, a water dish, and more bedding.

good point, I suppose I can lift the lid every few hours to air it out. as for heat I keep my apartment pretty warm and he has about the same amount of cover as he had when I found him.

I just don't want him getting out, or my cat getting to him.

should be fine over night though, he's only about 6 inches long and the bucket is 5 gallons.