UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Gamers! 1

So usually whenever I watch an anime I'll update my MAL right after and then quickly glance through the episode discussion thread for other people's thoughts. I found a couple things I agreed with on this one. First, the mc's voice being a miscast. I'm watching this subbed and as soon as the mc began speaking for the first time my initial reaction was "he shouldn't sound like that, sounds like a girl." Then my second thought was "wait, why do I think that? Aren't I used to girl voiced boy mc's in the Japanese versions of shows by now?" As the episode went on I got more used to it, but I still would have preferred a male voice for him. Any of the three other male characters in the episode's voices would have been better suited than the girl who voiced him. Certainly the guy obsessed with block puzzle games at least anyway. Checking the actress' MAL profile I have heard her in things I've liked her in before but never playing a boy character. Somewhat slightly ironically I see she voices Gon in HxH, but I've never watched that subbed. I say ironically because, although he's clearly being voiced by a girl in the dub, I love Gon's dub voice. This leads me to believe that it may not so much be that she's a girl as I just don't think her voice fits, but who knows. As I said I'm already getting used to it. I do see this series' mc was given a male voice in the dub though so just based off that, which is preliminary I know, this might be one of those series that actually has a superior dub. I'll probably never find out mind you as I intend to watch this dubbed only if I like it enough to rewatch and that remains to be seen but just going off of this episode probably won't be the case.

Not to say that this was that bad or anything. I actually thought it was pretty good, mc voice aside. The two fakeouts of him declining to join the club at the end got me good. Funnily enough though I was kinda hoping that would happen before it did and grinned like a big goof when it did. Ditto the absurdist banana peel gag. Art and colors seemed nice. Some of the video game nods like King Koopa were nice as well. And the series in general gave off a This Art Club Has A Problem kinda vibe(the second thing I agreed with when seeing on MAL but actually thought of while still initially watching the episode) and I really enjoyed that series. I usually wouldn't write so much for a first episode of a series but for whatever reason I felt compelled to do so here so, there ya go I guess. :D

Gamers! 2

I may have been too hasty when I said I'd probably never rewatch this. In addition to the nice game references the characters themselves have been surprisingly endearing so very early on so far. Uehara in particular surprised me this episode. Good stuff.

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 1

Gamers! 3

Meh, I usually prefer long hair on girls and Chiaki was no different. Only girl I can recall actually getting prettier after cutting her hair was Videl from DBZ. Also gotta side with Keita on the whole moe debate. Boy this episode had more wacky romantic misunderstandings than...well I can't think of a clever analogy atm but it had alot! Even ended on one, though I had to laugh at how absurdly dramatic they tried to make such an imo benign cliffhanger. Also enjoying the more wacky moments like characters suddenly taking 9999 damage after being insulted or getting stepped on after turning to dust. :D

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 1

Gamers! 4

We interrupt that cliffhanger I previously mentioned involving Chiaki and Uehara possibly becoming romantically involved for an episode completely devoted to Karen! Seriously by the end of this episode as the credits ran I was wondering if I had accidentally skipped one because Chiaki, Uehara and Aguri weren't even in this episode at all! Not directly anyway. However the title, which came up at the very end, did refer to this episode as an intermission so maybe we'll get back to that cliffhanger next time. Very strange choice if true though, to just randomly insert an unrelated episode like that.

This one was a mixed bag. The day in the life of Karen opening started out cute, though the second half of it seemed to drag on a bit. And the ending with all the "winning doesn't matter oh wait yes it does" talk was just confusing. Though I guess maybe slightly relatable. I was also a bit iffy on Karen trying to defeat him in games instead of just realizing her obvious true feelings or whatever was going on with that. One thing's certain though: that girl is thirsty as fuck! And while I doubt it will happen I'd love Keita to pick up on it and sweep her off her feet by the end.

Oh and lovin' those Karen end cards.(I know Chiaki had the last one but Karen has gotten the other 3 so far.) This cow outfit-esque PlayStation button pattern one was probably the best so far. :D

Edited by BUU8800

Gamers! 5

So this was my reaction during pretty much the entire episode:

Piccolo_fcf420_1037180.jpg

And here I thought it couldn't possibly get anymore needlessly complicated! I mostly blame Uehara for this though. He knows pretty much everything that's going on and could just sit everyone down and sort it out in about 5 minutes if he wanted to. But then we'd have no story. I only hope it doesn't take the rest of the series(if not longer) to get everything sorted out. Also, Chiaki is a straight-up bitch to Keita. Don't get me wrong, he can dish it out too, but I'm rooting for Karen by default when it comes to who he ends up with. And whenever that secret of Chiaki's eventually does come out it better not matter considering how poorly the two get along right now. Oh who am I kidding of course it will add drama. Facepalm indeed.

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 1

Gamers! 6

Holy crap that accidental confession!

Well damn, didn't see that coming. And after an episode that was 99.99999% even more facepalm worthy than the last, which is saying something. All those inner monologues in the second half were really starting to give me a headache too. Seriously this was me during that whole sequence:

a647a2e4ef02fbef0296710868bc5398--epic-f

And apparently they weren't so inner given the reaction faces from the other people in class. But I uh....I guess the end result is all that matters! And Karen has deservedly won...for now! Also at this point I'm not quite sure how those end cards can possibly get anymore erotic. :D

Edited by BUU8800

Gamers! 8

Oh goddamn it the cat's out of the bag now. Welp, figured it would happen eventually. I stand by what I said earlier, fuck Chiaki. I don't care how sexy they make her look in the end cards Keita x Karen 4 evar! Sigh, better prepare for the incoming drama...

Gamers! 9

Odd choice to change the ending theme with just 4 episodes left, but alright. Gettin' the imouto involved in your web of lies eh Chiaki? And now we're gettin' some good old fashioned physically abuse the mc "comedy" thrown in. Well admittedly it was just one occurrence so I'll overlook it this time. I dunno though, as we start windin' down I'm startin' to feel done with this show, at least a little bit. The misunderstandings it has so heavily relied on feel played out at this point. That "cliffhanger" with Uehara at the end just made me roll my eyes more than anything. He obviously meant he's gonna support Chiaki over Karen in the struggle for Keita's heart. Though considering how badly Chiaki treats Keita in real life I can't image why. Also on a more minor note dude apparently just threw out some perfectly good McDonald's rip-off fries, and that's unforgivable!

Gamers! 10

2nd mc getting beaten up gag in as many episodes. Not a good trend show! Aguri's old friends were pretty awful huh? Good for her trading up as she has. Seems everyone underestimated Keita when it comes to friends however. Wonder what fallout might come from that if any....

Edited by BUU8800

Gamers! 12(END)

So we end with an episode that felt kinda fillery in which the gang goes to a hot spring and debates the merits of video games with Aguri for 20 minutes. I almost felt like I just watched 20 minutes of gaming propaganda or something except a lot of that time was taken up by Aguri shitting on games so propaganda may not be the best word. Definitely an odd choice for a finale, but it probably had the most game discussion of any episode...and fanservice. Oh I'm sure Chiaki's tits will be de-steamed for the blu-ray release.:D It was fairly interesting too to hear them comment on things like loot crates with the whole Star Wars fallout EA is currently going through, oddly prescient. That said I'd be lying if I didn't admit I was kinda bored throughout this one. It's hard to maintain interest when a show is just 20 minutes of talking with no action. Or it can be at times anyway. I mean I love SoL shows and they have tons of fantastic episodes that could be described like that so maybe I'm not getting my feelings across as well as I could.

Though it's unfortunate to admit overall I'm gonna say my initial gut-feeling of never wanting to rewatch this series was probably correct. It just centered too much on romantic misunderstandings that became rather tired. The humor derived from these was more often annoying or bewildering than actually funny for me. There were moments and twists sprinkled here and there that worked well, especially in the earlier episodes, but that last stretch was particularly "just okay." I am also kinda disappointed that the members of the game club introduced in the first episode more or less vanished after it, barring a few scattered cameos like whatever the hell the start of the last episode was supposed to be. I expected them to play at least slightly larger parts in the story but that never came to be. Finally, I don't think I'd want a season 2 of this, and this counts moreso as "super spoilers" so you may want to stop reading here. According to MAL users this apparently gets really crappy in the LN as it goes on. Nonsense involving Karen breaking up with Keita because she feels bad for Chiaki and tries to get them together and Uehara breaking up with Aguri for dumb reasons and whatnot. Honestly it gives me bad Haganai flashbacks just thinking about it. My favorite girl ended up crashing and burning in the second season of that too and I was not pleased to put it mildly. So yeah how about a final score? Well I could be nice and give it a 7 but I'm thinking a 6/10 is more deserved to be honest. So I'll stick with that. Disappointing if only for the fact that for a time I was expecting it to be better than it was.

Oh, and for whatever it's worth the end cards were all very nice as was the video game parody-heavy op.

Edited by BUU8800

Konbini Kareshi 9

Oh wow, Buu wasn't kidding when he said this episode had its fair share of derpfaces. Clearly the lesson to learn from this episode (besides finding time for both your family and your love life) is to never outsource your episode's animation to the Chinese if you want it to not look awkward.

Knights & Magic 1 - 13(END)

Yeah this was surprisingly easy to marathon. If I could watch about a dozen more series this quickly maybe I'd be caught up with everything I fell behind on during the summer and now fall! If only right? Well anyway this series was....okay? Felt like Saturday morning cartoon fare. Being the old man that I now am I recognize that the vast majority of anime I watch are targeted towards younger demographics than my own, but this in particular felt very "kiddy." I hesitate to use that term as I don't necessarily mean it as an insult. It's just this had a fairly simple premise. Cool giant robot action! Although that said there was a pretty large amount of technobabble included too. But I could definitely see younger kids watching this, collecting the toys which I assume it must have generated and whatnot. Sgt. Keroro would have almost certainly been a fan I imagine. The final clash of wills between the mc and main bad guy scientist even felt like an argument I could see two kids getting into on the school playground over which kind of action figure they thought was cooler. The only non-kiddy thing was the fanservice but even that was rather mild. Just some cleavage shots for a couple characters really, and it wasn't ever really drawn attention to so much as my pervy mind just happened to notice it. 

But was it a good show? Well as I said it was alright. Reading the MAL discussion threads I'd say easily the number one complaint that community had was the pacing. Apparently this really, really, really blew through the source material at an incredibly fast pace. And, having no knowledge of said source material, I'll admit it did seem at times like the show had its metaphorical fast-forward button pushed down. Though honestly it didn't really bother me much if at all. Hell, I'm not sure how much I'd have even noticed it were it not for all the complaints I read about it in those threads. That aside there was a few random "mary sue" complaints about the mc, and his "robosexual" personality. Again, I could see what they meant to an extent, their point I mean, but it didn't really bother me much either. I did like the vast majority of the main characters just fine, and there weren't any that I really hated. And it was kinda nice to see some besides the mc get some attention at times. Like the male twin's little arc with the princess near the end or the blonde dude who initially chickened out but proved himself by the end. Even the king had a few nice moments. Considering he abdicated for his son in the middle of the series I'm not entirely sure why he was the one to welcome everyone back and offer more rewards and stuff in the end though, but whatever. It probably is telling though that I never really bothered to learn anyone's name so....yeah.:D But uh...well to wrap this up I guess I'll just repeat myself once more and say it was a pretty alright show. Solid 6/10.

Edited by BUU8800

The Ancient Magus Bride #4

Blend S #9

The Boy and the Beast

The movie was good, especially since it somehow caused a heightened emotional state within me. But, begrudgingly, it did rekindle my interest for our club to stop using KissAnime. I mean, at the very least, they could go buy the Blu-ray of whatever they wanted to watch (though that would spur a different problem) and either sell it or give it away at the end. They have the money, and I wouldn't mind doing sweepstakes for everyone to participate in.

2J0O0jh.jpg

• Like 1

Restaurant to Another World 1 - 12(END)

Another surprisingly easy to marathon series, and this one was pretty great. A very comforting, relaxing series with fun stories and endearing characters. It felt a little like a mix between an anthology series like The Twilight Zone and a sitcom like Cheers. Every character got a little introduction story so most episodes felt different and new in that regard, but at the same time they usually became regulars afterward thus something like Cheers where everybody knew your name. I also got a little feeling of Shirokuma Cafe from it too, which I mean as a compliment. The food was always delicious looking, and watching the patrons enjoy it never got tiring. Honestly I wish we'd gotten another dozen episodes with these characters. Some other interesting interactions could have come of it no doubt, like that half-elf hero meeting up with the lion dude again. Honestly I was hoping that was gonna happen during the last episode. I don't have much else to say but I really enjoyed this series. Solid 8/10.

Oh, and that opening theme was really catchy! :D

Edited by BUU8800

Net-juu no Susume 1 - 10(END)

For the record I'm aware there's an extra 11th episode that just came out but that will have to wait for subs so I'll just give final thoughts here. Well this was a pretty strong series. No further proof really needed than the fact that I literally watched all of it in under 10 hours just now and pretty much in one sitting now that I think of it. I am a bit salty we didn't at least get a kiss between this 28 and 30 year old, but oh well. I mean c'mon, we got that from kids half their age with Tsuki ga Kirei! Well, I guess it fits their characters though, and progress was made. Between those 2 shows 2017 turned out to have some surprisingly strong romance anime. Dare I say some of the best I've ever seen? And I haven't even gotten to watching The Ancient Magus Bride adaptation yet! But I digress...I really enjoyed this. I found it very easy to get emotionally invested/wrapped up in. I would certainly watch more if it came. Strong 8/10. Oh, and Koiwai turned out to be the best wingman I've seen in an anime since Suna from My Love Story!! :D

Yona of the Dawn 15

I'm still not too sure about the legitimacy of Suwon's claim that Il killed his father, but I can definitely accept "avoiding war and giving up land to enemies" as an alternative reason for assassinating him. It's also somewhat refreshing to see Suwon act so casual and downright pleasant after the last couple episodes we spent on him painted him as a total ass. :D

xIFMZdG.png

dTqsp7c.png

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 1