UnevenEdge

“Aqua Teen Hunger Force” Season Twelve Talkback

[classic swim]

Coming in on the heels of Plantasm, which was pretty bad overall, I was worried. But these felt like classic episodes. Not the best, but passable. It does feel like these kind of start in the middle of the episode though, old episodes usually start slow and then introduce the plot, where these just hit the ground running. 

Will probably never get used to the animation, but it’s less distracting than expected. 

TZ writing dump:

Spoiler

[Shaketopia]

Ethnic cleansing? Quite the side hustle, Frylock.

Everyone and their mother has already talked about the animation change. It was something I was put off by just in the trailer.

There’s really no getting used to it, but surprisingly it’s not COMPLETELY jarring. It mostly blends well! I guess it helps going back to the normal episode format, and the fact that the humor is still there regardless.

Aquadonk proved you could make same ol’ hilarious ATHF with just a 3 minute runtime. I see as though “season 12” is not just another test to see if Aqua Teen can simply return, but how much they can fundamentally change while trying to keep the tone intact.

The OG theme remix turned out so damn good. Felt like a celebration of the best era of the show, and just celebrating moving forward. The bait and switch with girlies and homies even shows that they don’t wanna be too exact.

Shaketopia’s one hell of a premiere. The first two episodes already blow Deathfighter/Plantasm out of the water, but I also think Shaketopia’s just a better concept in terms of introducing the different approach.

I’ve also never laughed at much of any VR headset episode up until this point. 

An episode like Shaketopia would probably never happen under Lazzo’s watch(at least with the budget). I feel like if this aired for the Aqua TV Show Show season, Shake would’ve just kept blabbing at the glorfizoid/dwarfizod slaves for however long until the slaves finally killed him at the end.

And even if Meatwad was classically brought into the equation, I don’t think they would’ve previously gone all out with the battle segment that they pulled.

*Meat Bridge returns!*

Wesley Snipes turned down making an appearance, but I appreciate the soundalike meat formation. 

Great episode. Who knew Carl would be the one fronting these devices?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

[A Quiet Shake]

Goodbye, boxes.

Now get out of my office.

Phil Samson: The episode “A Quiet Shake” is the first Aqua Teen I’ve cut in 11 years. I had the honor of working on 3 of these new episodes, and I can honestly say they are just as good if not better than ever before. Enjoy!

Loved this one too, though the title of the episode really had me going for something else.

There have been plenty of episodes challenging how rude Shake is, but not necessarily how ‘loud’ he is. And I thought that would be something to actually explore and attempt.

Maybe they’re better for not going that route. 

Frylock’s known for saving their asses all the time. What especially makes this unique is how the episode already begins with him keeping rest of the Aqua Teens safe for at least 18 months under an EARpocalypse.

I said it before with the sequel, but Carey Means is as sharp as ever. He kills the army and just runs off with those horrible puns only a nEARd would find funny.

I guess they’re going back to killing Frylock in some episodes. I forget if there was anything specific about the AUPS1 season in particular that made them wanna amp up his deaths.

The guys brought back their jams for the end.

*Shouts to “This Your Left” + Slightly visible Space Ghost cameo!*

Shaketopia was fun and looked wonderful on screen.

Different visual format is different visual format. And it’s different, and bizarre... but it actually doesn’t blend too bad. Besides the sequel being what it is, the new approach just goes better with regular 11 minute episodes.

It’s like they never left.  Mostly because it’s the same kind of humor, the same actors, and the same sort of weird ass plots.  

Granted, Dana Snyder post Shake in the Ghost and Molly McGee is basically playing a Disney-approved Master Shake, so it’s not too hard to switch back.

• OwlChemist81 unpinned, unfeatured and pinned this topic