UnevenEdge

i am, without words.

discolé monade

Just now, scoobdog said:

That was quite a shocker.  Those hangers are a landmark in that area:  it's going to be weird seeing only one of then standing.

i'm surprised it took this long for *insert entity* to take them down. i was told there is already housing and costco, and other shops around the property. 

problem is, most of that land is poison. haven't seen it since 2005.

the north hangar was supposedly haunted. story goes: there once was a ch-46 mechanic, that KNEW he could pilot a craft better, so..he did, and abrubtly crashed into the hangar. 

the south hangar was supposedly an entrance to the 'underground city' (vip fallout shelter) , 

the marine that crashed i do believe happened, and ther was a strange elevator style entrance, that was enclosed behind a metal door....

but you know...boots believe anything, and we had an obligation to pass those stories along, while telling said boot to go get 75 meters of flight line. XD

• Thanks 1

Those are cool stories.  The fact the US Government still owns those properties is a pretty good indicator

The SE side of the of the property, along Jamboree, has been steadily expanding with the retail over the past 20 odd years; NE of the hanger is all of these newer track homes that are, maybe, 10-15 years old.  I have friends that bought a house in there before they decided to "upgrade" to a larger property in the hill above Fullerton.

They really should have told the community to get bent and turned that into the new OC airport (keeping the hangers, of course).  It offers way more space than JW which is sandwiched in between the 405 and the 73 to the SW.

• Thanks 1

i'm sure i won't recognize it at all. used to run that entire base 1x month. 

and that field by the hangars every day. i want to say  olny farms, used to grow cabbage out there. they'd grow a few crops, and harvest, then grow a crop and let it rot. jfc that smell.

if you like kimchi, it was ok...but lordt!

OH...and just a couple months ago, i read about a gunman at 'cook's corner', a bar that we frequented quite a bit. 

man...i miss you cali. but way WAY too $$ for me, these days. i left cali in '06, i was in esco. from '01-'06, close to s.d. 

• Thanks 1

That Cook's Corner thing was hella fucked up.  Former  Ventura Sheriff's Sergeant shot up the place to get his ex-wife.  It'a not really my scene, but one of my former superintendents like to ride his Harley up there on Sundays.

MCAST was kind of like an open space in the middle of urban sprawl, similar to NWS Seal Beach further up the 405, and I miss it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

That Cook's Corner thing was hella fucked up.  Former  Ventura Sheriff's Sergeant shot up the place to get his ex-wife.  It'a not really my scene, but one of my former superintendents like to ride his Harley up there on Sundays.

MCAST was kind of like an open space in the middle of urban sprawl, similar to NWS Seal Beach further up the 405, and I miss it.

miramar. and it was a baby, with little housing which was  huge problem when tustin, and el toro closed, over crowding at pendleton, etc etc. 

and cook's was 'ok'  a great biker bar, but my love was newport beach. 

the goat hill tavern, 

rumplestiltskins

the stag bar. 

great great  local bands.  and of course our beloved sublime. 

lol sugar ray poser bitch, " i PlAyEd ThE gOaT tOo' lol

Edited by discolé monade
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

I'd say hurray safety stand downs, but it's in Cali and probably due to a wildfire. Here this is the best I can do.

the speculation is that it is a long overdue push to gain that property *insert entity*, as those hangars stood, nothing could be done inside the base, but now.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, discolé monade said:

the speculation is that it is a long overdue push to gain that property *insert entity*, as those hangars stood, nothing could be done inside the base, but now.....

The latest is that the whole area now has toxic air quality, supposedly from asbestos debris.  Ordinarily, I think the whole asbestos thing is a crock of shit, but this time I kind of hope it scares of speculators.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scoobdog said:

The latest is that the whole area now has toxic air quality, supposedly from asbestos debris.  Ordinarily, I think the whole asbestos thing is a crock of shit, but this time I kind of hope it scares of speculators.

oh...yeah. asbestos is just the tip of this iceburg. 

over between the north hangar, and the line to south hangar, was motor t for 374. SO much dumping. SO much. 

behind south tower and headed to the overpass was one of the bird refueling. SO much dropped fuel. 

during the mud run, you could taste the diesel by the back gate LMAO. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

oh...yeah. asbestos is just the tip of this iceburg. 

over between the north hangar, and the line to south hangar, was motor t for 374. SO much dumping. SO much. 

behind south tower and headed to the overpass was one of the bird refueling. SO much dropped fuel. 

during the mud run, you could taste the diesel by the back gate LMAO. 

Assuming they completely remediated that area, It still takes something like ten years before the soil is remotely safe.

• Thanks 1