UnevenEdge

War: changing opinions

Icarus27k

This post isn't really about a specific war, but rather an observation on changing opinions in ethics and politics. Take this tweet as an example:Screenshot_20230908-234115.thumb.png.01588dfc1e135f1721b215f57e4b3abf.png

This is different from the last 20 years of popular ethics. Remember Afghanistan in 2001 and Iraq in 2003, when our society turned anti-war?  The common sense, ethical position was don't even think about getting involved in the world's problems. Bad things happen all the time to unfortunate people. Us doing anything about it will only make things worse. 

Now, we're back to thinking about all the suffering people in foreign countries are doing, and why isn't something being done about it. 

It's a surprising shift. A "history is repeating" moment.

And yes, I asked the person who tweeted that, and she said she is in her early 20s, meaning she wasn't old enough the time we previously had these ethical discussions to participate in them.

Weird seeing this again, isn't it? 

Edited by Icarus27k

What's weird to me is how we have bleeding hearts for people half a world away but we can see a man in tatters, dying and parched right outside our favorite eatery and we find solace in either ridiculing him or avoiding eye contact.

This goes for me too because I'm quick to say "damn, I can't help everyone" as I buy 2 entrees so I can have one later.

• Thanks 3

On 9/9/2023 at 12:21 PM, André Toulon said:

What's weird to me is how we have bleeding hearts for people half a world away but we can see a man in tatters, dying and parched right outside our favorite eatery and we find solace in either ridiculing him or avoiding eye contact.

This goes for me too because I'm quick to say "damn, I can't help everyone" as I buy 2 entrees so I can have one later.

this.

• Like 2