UnevenEdge

Two questions I have about JoJo:

The accent thing is kind of strange since SC begins in Japan (as do most anime). I figured they weren't going to have everybody who lives there speak with a Japanese accent so its as good a time as any to drop accents all around  .Just assume everyone is speaking the way that they are supposed to I suppose. If Epcar doesn't do it, it won't be consistent with the end of the last season, but oh well. I didn't think they were going to have Mercer voice Jotaro with a Japanese accent.  As far as Epcar's character is concerned, I'll chalk it up to the time spent in America and when interacting with  people like his daughter whom he raised there he sounds more American, but when interacting with strangers like the guy at the airport, he resorts to his native British! That would be cool if they could do something like that!

Strange as it sounds, I know people who were raised in different parts of the world who actually can speak with different accents depending on who they are talking to. I've known many people in the US who speak differently depending on where they are and who they are talking to. My great grandmother came to this country from Russia as a teenager and pretty much lost her accent except when talking to her parents and other family members.  I also knew a girl from Trinidad and she spoke English different ways depending on who she was conversing with.

Another strange example is the actor John Barrowman from Doctor Who and Torchwood who is from Scotland, but went back and forth between here and there growing up. He actually demonstrated on a talk show how he speaks with an American accent for the most part, but when he is with his family,  he speaks with a Scottish accent.

There was a short trailer-type video for Diamond is Unbreakable. It was pretty rad, more of a style thing than just a collection of clips from the show.

They also showed a clip from the dub of episode 5 of Stardust Crusaders, which they said was not necessarily the finished cut. I didn't recognize Polnareff's VA, but Epcar and Mercer are definitely still in their roles from the test dub, and Avdol sounded like the same guy too. Polnareff didn't have a French accent, but he did say "Monsieur." I don't recall anybody else having any particular accents.

At Director Tsuda's panel he was asked about prospects for animating part 5, and it sounded like nothing had been confirmed by the suits yet, but he definitely wants to do the project.

Later on in the weekend they aired the Stardust Crusaders test dub, which was their special "East Coast premiere" event thing. Nothing new there, but it was fun to see again.

So as far as you can tell there wasn't any redubbing done to the test dub? I figured they may make a few alterations to it like the narrator, but otherwise leave it alone especially if the other VAs haven't changed.

I think this can be a new chance to get people on board with Jojo. Many people probably still think its about "those 2 British guys that don't like each other"! I think Toonami knew that it was going to be rough going at first, but I'm glad that they seem to have a commitment to see it through. It was all about getting to Stardust.

The also could split the seasons up I suppose depending on how dubbing goes and if they want to keep a rotating slot.

I think this can be a new chance to get people on board with Jojo. Many people probably still think its about "those 2 British guys that don't like each other"! I think Toonami knew that it was going to be rough going at first, but I'm glad that they seem to have a commitment to see it through. It was all about getting to Stardust.

The also could split the seasons up I suppose depending on how dubbing goes and if they want to keep a rotating slot.

I believe that's exactly what they're doing. We won't know for 39 weeks AFTER Stardust finally appears, but I believe they'll take another break between Part 3 and Part 4. Part 5 hasn't even been animated yet in Japan.

I believe that's exactly what they're doing. We won't know for 39 weeks AFTER Stardust finally appears, but I believe they'll take another break between Part 3 and Part 4. Part 5 hasn't even been animated yet in Japan.

And Stardust ITSELF kind of has 2 seasons where they can break it up. The cool thing about seasonal anime like Jojo and not just perpetual long running shows like One Piece and Naruto is that you can give them a rest and then bring them back with new promotion and even better timeslots than it had before instead of being continually pushed down the lineup if it doesn't take a break.

So as far as you can tell there wasn't any redubbing done to the test dub? I figured they may make a few alterations to it like the narrator, but otherwise leave it alone especially if the other VAs haven't changed.

It's been a while since I saw the test dub premiere at ACEN, but I didn't pick up on anything that seemed different to me. Unfortunately it was hard for me to tell if the narrator's voice was the same, since it wasn't that far off from what we've been hearing from David Vincent in the first season and I don't remember exactly what it sounded like in the test dub before. If I had to go one way or the other, I'd say it was still the original test dub narrator. Since they hadn't put the finishing touches on episode 5 yet, though, they could still be planning to do some touch-ups on the earlier episodes.

The accent thing is kind of strange since SC begins in Japan (as do most anime). I figured they weren't going to have everybody who lives there speak with a Japanese accent so its as good a time as any to drop accents all around  .Just assume everyone is speaking the way that they are supposed to I suppose. If Epcar doesn't do it, it won't be consistent with the end of the last season, but oh well. I didn't think they were going to have Mercer voice Jotaro with a Japanese accent.

This actually relates to kind of a funny moment in the dub, where a Japanese guy compliments Jotaro's (American) mom on how good her Japanese is, and she replies that she's been living in Japan for 20 years. It's a little "wait, what?" when the whole thing is in English with no accents, but you just have to take it for what it is knowing that the characters are (mostly) Japanese and the story (at that point) takes place in Japan.

Another person asked Demarco  on his ask.FM asked if Stardust will replace AOT and he said "Likely! We love Jojo!" If that isn't a positive sign I don't know what is. He usually never discusses show acquisitions unless it's a done deal. It's coming!

The 12:30 timeslot is in good hands in the meantime!

There actually was a moment kinda like that in the ADV dub of Neon Genesis Evangelion; I'll just assume it was referencing that if it makes it into the final TV-ready dub.

But I'll admit that IS kinda cringeworthy!

I wouldn't call it cringeworthy, I just noticed kind of a chuckle from the audience when the "your Japanese is very good" line came out. If anything it's just a reminder that Jotaro's mom isn't Japanese.

I hadn't seen the Attack on Titan schedule news. They aired the new episode Saturday morning and it's pretty intense. It's good to know that I can just wait a few weeks and not have to make a point to watch it on my own.

Yeah, and 12:30 IS pretty watchable! Heck, it's the same timeslot Dimension W, 10 episodes of Gundam IBO, and 2 episodes of One Punch Man got last year!

I WOULD have preferred it air earlier since its predecessor did, but whatcha gonna do? Samurai Jack and DBZ are a LOT more popular.

Or maybe they just got burned so bad by 11:30 reruns of Attack on Titan they're not gonna try THAT again--and instead we get 11:30 encores of Dragon Ball Super because they won't put anything but Jack before DBZ.