UnevenEdge

us grants.gov

trying to expand. get $$ for an actual store front.

i'm so lost. and i can't find what i'm looking for. 

a woman in townn, got a grant for her 'jam/jelly' shop. she's also a grant writer...so...

i drove by her place. exactly what i want. those barn style sheds, gas hookup, signage. so flippin' cute. 

but alas...i can't not find the grant i need.

does anyone here, have any grant writing skills?

Yikes.  I took a class in technical writing a really long time ago, and one of the class assignments was writing a grant proposal.  I can look around to see if it's survived the numerous computer changes over the years.

But, it seems you have a more pressing issue in finding someone who offers a grant for your specific needs.  Have you checked with the local Chamber of Commerce?  They're usually fairly useless, but it's a place to start.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Yikes.  I took a class in technical writing a really long time ago, and one of the class assignments was writing a grant proposal.  I can look around to see if it's survived the numerous computer changes over the years.

But, it seems you have a more pressing issue in finding someone who offers a grant for your specific needs.  Have you checked with the local Chamber of Commerce?  They're usually fairly useless, but it's a place to start.

this chamber of commerce?

i have not. but this chamber is....well....inadequate? but i will. 

and IF you do find anything, that would be fantastic.

26 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

This. Also, it doesn't hurt to get a hold of a proofreader/copy editor who can help you with rewrites and proper sentence structure. You want to come across to those who issue grants as someone who is well-read and thoughtful. (Trust me, disco. Proper grammar, spelling, sentence structure, et. al are incredibly important so don't slouch on these.)

I've also found this website for when you actually start writing it. (It doesn't have the form you need, but it does tell you how to approach writing the proposal.)

Edited by Gemini

10 minutes ago, Gemini said:

This. Also, it doesn't hurt to get a hold of a proofreader/copy editor who can help you with rewrites and proper sentence structure. You want to come across to those who issue grants as someone who is well-read and thoughtful. (Trust me, disco. Proper grammar, spelling, sentence structure, et. al are incredibly important so don't slouch on these.)

I've also found this website for when you actually start writing it. (It doesn't have the form you need, but it does tell you how to approach writing the proposal.)

i'm actually *a pretty good writer*,  all the punctuations, grammar, spelling etc...just not here. 

i do have someone that can do the proof reading though..

and i did bookmark the page you linked. ty. [ :

Edited by discolé monade
lulz...some writer.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, discolé monade said:

this chamber of commerce?

i have not. but this chamber is....well....inadequate? but i will. 

and IF you do find anything, that would be fantastic.

I'll keep looking.  It might be on old media somewhere since that was in the archaic age of floppy disks and that beastly Jazz drive I can't seem to get to work.

The thing, though, is that there isn't anything magical to it other than following the directions of grant provider.  It's literally explaining in detail exactly what is requested, with the detail being as much embellishment as you can muster without looking like you're embellishing.  (Like Gemini said, that's something that's easily adjusted through peer review.)  That's why finding the grant provider is what's really important.

Let me see if I can poke around for some grant ideas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, discolé monade said:

i'm actually an excellent write. all the punctuations, grammar, spelling etc...just not here. 

i do have someone that can do the proof reading though..

and i did bookmark the page you linked. ty. [ :

I hear ya, and I actually know that. lol Still, it doesn’t hurt to mention it for others in case they have the same idea/need in the future.

Anyway, you're welcome. Glad I could help.

Edited by Gemini
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

I'll keep looking.  It might be on old media somewhere since that was in the archaic age of floppy disks and that beastly Jazz drive I can't seem to get to work.

The thing, though, is that there isn't anything magical to it other than following the directions of grant provider.  It's literally explaining in detail exactly what is requested, with the detail being as much embellishment as you can muster without looking like you're embellishing.  (Like Gemini said, that's something that's easily adjusted through peer review.)  That's why finding the grant provider is what's really important.

Let me see if I can poke around for some grant ideas.

Yep. Though I should clarify that I meant it's a possibility that the proposal may have to be written in legalese. (An unlikely possibility, but still soemthing to think about.) Which again goes back to finding the grand provider.

Edited by Gemini

i mean, I teach technical writing, so I could answer specific questions about writing/documentation if you have any.

I'm not sure how much use i'd be with regard to the research, though, since i'm not really familiar with the kinds of resources you're likely to be looking for.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gemini said:

Yep. Though I should clarify that I meant it's a possibility that the proposal may have to be written in legalese. (An unlikely possibility, but still soemthing to think about.) Which again goes back to finding the grand provider.

Grant requests do not need to be written in legalese.  They’re not legally binding documents, so doing that might cause the organization to pass on the grant request.  You just need to be concise and thorough.

25 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Grant requests do not need to be written in legalese.  They’re not legally binding documents, so doing that might cause the organization to pass on the grant request.  You just need to be concise and thorough.

Okay. I was just trying to cover all the bases. Thanks for the correction.

Edited by Gemini

So, grant programs are fairly broad, and they almost never cover exactly what you want.  Using this as a starting tool, you get an idea of just how many different programs are out there… and how ridiculously specific they are.  They’re usually disbursed by the federal government to local advocacy organizations who then, in turn, disburse them.  Occasionally, large charities disburse their own grants, but they’re almost always for research or conservation purposes.  Local utilities also can offer grants for efficiency upgrades (installing drip irrigation, upgrading your service infrastructure) but those are rare and ultra specific.

Without knowing specifics, it’s probably a good idea to first see if your local jurisdiction still has a redevelopment agency.  This is an example.  They’re often  the villain that swoops in and buys properties from little old ladies to build strip malls, but they can also be a good resource for small businesses in districts that are being revitalized like a historic downtown.

• Thanks 1

the link to the grants, that's where i'm starting, and as you can see, i have NO clue where to look. cottage foods falls under dept. of ag. but, nothing fits. i'll keep at it. and keep looking. 

as far as development. nothing urban, and the rural development...let's just say, this county is SO far in the weeds of progress and development, i will look into that as well. headed to CoC tomorrow for that other info you mentioned. 

thank you again. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Glad to know that pretty much all chambers of commerce are globally enept. They can take your money though. THAT, They are great at.

Patting themselves on the back, amazing.

Pointing out the fact they wasted money and resources,  the best.

I might be biased.

• Thanks 2

On 6/20/2023 at 12:32 PM, scoobdog said:

Ohhhhh.  Gotcha.

wanted you to know that this chamber of commerce does not have info on grants, however, she did point me in the exact right direction. something called 'agratourism' and the office that handles that. they in fact, help sponsor the city's farmer's market. and because i fall under GDoA, there should be something of use. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

wanted you to know that this chamber of commerce does not have info on grants, however, she did point me in the exact right direction. something called 'agratourism' and the office that handles that. they in fact, help sponsor the city's farmer's market. and because i fall under GDoA, there should be something of use. 

vBB_Ah.gif

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

Alright, now we have a starting point.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

well, the 2 grants i could locate that would fit, are closed. they will open back up at the beginning of the nov and close feb the following year. at least the looks like the pattern. 

still have to get over to millen's office on agritourism. i don't think it really applies to me, but we'll see. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

well, the 2 grants i could locate that would fit, are closed. they will open back up at the beginning of the nov and close feb the following year. at least the looks like the pattern. 

still have to get over to millen's office on agritourism. i don't think it really applies to me, but we'll see. 

Aw, man. I hate to hear that. I hope you are still able to get what you need.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gemini said:

Aw, man. I hate to hear that. I hope you are still able to get what you need.

it's a process. i just have to keep checking back every month to see what may come up . those were the only 2 i could find. looking through just the usda grants is overwhelming. it's not broken down for dummies like me. you have to search the qualifications. they are named weirdly. a lot with codes. i just happen to find those 2 easier. if i  could afford to  pay someone to search and write, i would. but at 30-150$/hr. not an expense i can afford. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

That does give you some time to do some research on those two grants.

• Thanks 1