UnevenEdge

The time has definitely come.

I'm in need of new job.. I'm so sick of working for this company. I've been stuck with sunday and tuesday off for going on 3 years now for one. Just getting tuesday changed for saturday so I can have both weekends off would make a whole lot of difference. Especially when your start time is 8:00am and your finish time is whenever the fuck you finish your last 5-8pm work order some walrus throws at you at the last minute when it finally bounces the ball at the right button...Don't ask IDFK. 

I clocked out at 9:00pm today without even finishing my last job because of a rf (coax) cable signal issue I wasn't going to be able to fix anytime soon...after running a new cable drop and a LONG ass feed line around this house for a 4 room cable tv and internet install...Fuck this shit. We shouldn't have to wire 4+ rooms with new cable, after doing all the polework only to then be responsible for hooking up all the cpe inside the customers house alone on orders over 3 rooms if you ask me. 3 rooms can be enough of a pain in the ass as it is. All during a 3 hour timeframe..

So if I have one of those monster ass orders at the beginning or end of the day wtf you think is gonna happen when it's a 2-5 appointment, and you have 3 other 2-5 appointments on my fucking route?

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

You work for one of the big cable and internet providers?

I feel it. In my line of work I change companies ever couple years. I am currently doing that now. For me it means that I have to move across the country but personally, I am always happy about that. 

Get your resume and CV together and market yourself and see what you can get. I would even be willing to look over and review your resume. You might be able to transition to something new. 

It never hurts to see what you can get somewhere else! 

2 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

You work for one of the big cable and internet providers?

I feel it. In my line of work I change companies ever couple years. I am currently doing that now. For me it means that I have to move across the country but personally, I am always happy about that. 

Get your resume and CV together and market yourself and see what you can get. I would even be willing to look over and review your resume. You might be able to transition to something new. 

It never hurts to see what you can get somewhere else! 

Yeah the one that's been sold and rebranded more times than your eldest corner street whore. 

Just now, PhilosipherStoned said:

Yeah the one that's been sold and rebranded more times than your eldest corner street whore. 

If you have a lot of experience with low voltage cable infrastructure, there are a lot of places you can find a position at that are smaller. You just have to market yourself and be willing to move.  

3 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

If it's Optimum, boy, have I got a bone to pick with you. (My mom has Optimum and they've been dicking her around ever since Suddenlink was bought out by Optimum.)

1 minute ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Ive thought about trying to get on for another big ISP here, but I'm honestly tired of hooking ladders to telephone poles altogether and no matter what ISP I work for locally I'm gonna have to do that in most areas I'm sure.. 

A lot of big companies sub that work out to smaller companies. 

Get in on the contracting side of things, working for smaller companies. 

Just my uneducated opinion, but from what I have seen, they are way better than working for the big guys.  

Just now, atomicinumatt said:

If you have a lot of experience with low voltage cable infrastructure, there are a lot of places you can find a position at that are smaller. You just have to market yourself and be willing to move.  

I don't want to move is the thing. I may have to move my mother into the house I'm buying whether she likes it or not because she's been out of work racking up debt forever now... In her defense she's been trying to find decent employment for a while now with me putting in apps for her in everything. She quit a decent paying job without doing the proper leave forms and hoop jumping to take care of my terminally ill stepfather, and I've been trying to juggle things for both of us ever since. 

3 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

I don't want to move is the thing. I may have to move my mother into the house I'm buying whether she likes it or not because she's been out of work racking up debt forever now... In her defense she's been trying to find decent employment for a while now with me putting in apps for her in everything. She quit a decent paying job without doing the proper leave forms and hoop jumping to take care of my terminally ill stepfather, and I've been trying to juggle things for both of us ever since. 

I feel it man, the personal situation dictates what you do. 

Maybe talk to your mom about moving. I do not know you personal situation so I am sorry if I am being ignorant to your dilemma. Just trying to trouble shoot here. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

9 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

If it's Optimum, boy, have I got a bone to pick with you. (My mom has Optimum and they've been dicking her around ever since Suddenlink was bought out by Optimum.)

You can pick that bone with a CSR or a corporate fuck my man. Yup it's Optimum.  I figured I wouldn't even have to say the name with that "ambigous" description. The fucking new owners or whatever corporate shit has happened over the years has only made things more fustrating for everybody and at this point being a technician expected to do everything from new installations to service calls for people that have been customers since before it was even Suddenlink in some areas is fucking wild...IDEFK

You never know what to expect, and it looks like someone let a woodpecker type out all the work orders..:(

4 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

I feel it man, the personal situation dictates what you do. 

Maybe talk to your mom about moving. I do not know you personal situation so I am sorry if I am being ignorant to your dilemma. Just trying to trouble shoot here. 

Nah your cool. My mother's been a bit of a.....bum for lack of better words anyway for as long as I know. She was a home healthcare worker for years and had a cna license her bosses and even me pretty much had to do all the work for, but she let that lapse and got so picky taking on new clients toward the end of her long stint she ended up just quitting and letting my late stepfather do all the work and support her. 🙃

I don't know how to feel after saying all that, but faults or not it's hard for me to just cold shoulder my mother is the thing. Decisions must be made either way alas. 

I just got a lot on my plate...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Nah your cool. My mother's been a bit of a.....bum for lack of better words anyway for as long as I know. She was a home healthcare worker for years and had a cna license her bosses and even me pretty much had to do all the work for, but she let that lapse and got so picky taking on new clients toward the end of her long stint she ended up just quitting and letting my late stepfather do all the work and support her. 🙃

I don't know how to feel after saying all that, but faults or not it's hard for me to just cold shoulder my mother is the thing. Decisions must be made either way alas. 

I just got a lot on my plate...

You a good guy for caring about your mom so much, do not let it make you feel bad. You are doing the right thing. 

Just remember, if you take on the responsibility, you are the one in control. Do not let anyone else make the decisions.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

What's your issue though anyway. As a technician working for circus animals it's usually left up to me to solve the simplest shit. This company used to be decent IDK...Didn't mean to play the fuck off card, but us techs are getting pretty pissed as well. 🙏

I mean it if it's technical I can help diagnose your issue with ten times less pain than the kimera they're now using for the phones. Also have experience in retention, and debt collection with the companies over the years...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

What's your issue though anyway. As a technician working for circus animals it's usually left up to me to solve the simplest shit. This company used to be decent IDK...Didn't mean to play the fuck off card, but us techs are getting pretty pissed as well. 🙏

Sorry. Didn't mean to single them out, but it sounded like they were your employer. So anyway, my mom's Internet and tv have been real spotty ever since Optimum bought out Suddenlink. My mom lives in Liberty County, Texas, (Houston area) and she switched to Suddenlink when they were good. But once Optimum bought them out, her internet and tv service has been very inconsistent. At times, even nonexistent. She's called and called requesting for them to send someone out to reset the service out at the box on the pole by the road, and they've yet to do so. 

Edited by hornedlizardman

3 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

Sorry. Didn't mean to single them out, but it sounded like they were your employer. So anyway, my mom's Internet and tv have been real spotty ever since Optimum bought out Suddenlink. My mom lives in Liberty County, Texas, (Houston area) and she switched to Suddenlink when they were good. But once Optimum bought them out, her internet and tv service has been very inconsistent. At times, even nonexistent. She's called and called requesting for them to send someone out to reset the service out at the box on the pole by the road, and they've yet to do so. 

I think Philosopher is just a tech. He is not corporate, so any bone you have to pick is definitely not with with him. The workers probably have it worse than the customers.. 

42 minutes ago, hornedlizardman said:

Internet and tv have been real spotty ever since Optimum bought out Suddenlink. My mom lives in Liberty County, Texas, and she switched to Suddenlink when they were good. But once Optimum bought them out, her internet and tv service has been very inconsistent. At times, even nonexistent. She's called and called requesting for them to send someone out to reset the service out at the box on the pole by the road, and they've yet to do so.

When it comes to stuff being shotty since the buy out that's not really a thing. Your mother might have sd dta's or (standard definition digital to analog set top boxes) connected to all her tv's which for one are hard as hell to get a hold of ever since Suddenlink went to altice let alone optimum, and secondly are out dated as fuck and her entire cable system could just be ancient. 

As for the internet if a tech hasnt been out in years to check the signal at the demarcation point (where all seperate cables connect together...should be close to the power meter as the cable system is supposed to be grounded to it under normal circumstances) The cables are either fucked or she has a 7+ year old modem that needed to be swapped way before the buy out. 

If you just havent been able to get a technician out that's nothing a technician can do anything about really other than keep bitching to our supes they need to stop using parrots and other circus animals to take customer calls..On the other hand I visit some houses multiple times a month that the only problem is them not knowing how to operate their remote or tv etc. or they're just bat shit crazy as well so all I can say is I do what I can. 🤷‍♂️

I mostly still deal with coax only believe it or not. The company is supposedly going full fiber/rfog at some point though, but that transition isn't going fast..
  • Like 1

Kind of want to add that Optimum as a whole doesn't seem to understand the older cox/suddenlink equipment and hasnt implemented a reasonable system between techs and customers to get them more up to date equipment. There's geesers  out there with those old dta's that will shit a brick because their bill goes up when we try to put high definition cable boxes or later model modems than their dinosaur crap, and the people in customer service/sales especially new hires seem to be having strokes figuring out all the different equipments limitations etc.

If you have dinosaur dta's then you arent paying anything for them.. We swap them out with boxes from the last century you are gonna pay for them...

On 3/4/2023 at 11:09 PM, Lemming said:

I’m sorry that was not what I meant to write. It was intended to be a well thought out reaction and reimagining of your summation and dissection of the aforementioned thread title topic.

Happens to the best of us if you ask me..but I'm alright with this thread now being about..exploitative commandeering in the field of web development.