UnevenEdge

Made in Abyss to get a sequel following The Golden City of the Scorching Sun

Jman

They made a similar announcement for S2 after Dawn of the Deep Soul. It took two more years after that for S2. I would not expect anything anytime soon, as there are only 3 chapters of manga past where S2 ends and the mangaka, Tsukushi, is very slow with his release of chapters. It has been 6 months since the last chapter came out.. 

23 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that they're saying it's a sequel to the second series as opposed to a third series for the franchise? Maybe it's like that because they turned the Fifth Layer arc into a movie...

Some people are speculating that it will be anime original material but I do not think so. They did a very similar announcement after the Movie. And yea, I did not like how they made a canon movie in the middle of S1 and S2. 

Edited by atomicinumatt

On 1/15/2023 at 11:39 AM, atomicinumatt said:

They made a similar announcement for S2 after Dawn of the Deep Soul. It took two more years after that for S2. I would not expect anything anytime soon, as there are only 3 chapters of manga past where S2 ends and the mangaka, Tsukushi, is very slow with his release of chapters. It has been 6 months since the last chapter came out..

Ugghhhh. They've adapted another one like this? I mean... I guess I'm glad, cuz it's been a wild ride. But also sorta feels like it just spells doom for the adaptation in the long run. Always ends up catching up before you know it, and by the time you've got material to keep going, the audience retention is just shot.

Unless S3 happens to reach a conclusion, not sure I'd be confident that the anime will get a satisfying end..

10 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Ugghhhh. They've adapted another one like this? I mean... I guess I'm glad, cuz it's been a wild ride. But also sorta feels like it just spells doom for the adaptation in the long run. Always ends up catching up before you know it, and by the time you've got material to keep going, the audience retention is just shot.

Unless S3 happens to reach a conclusion, not sure I'd be confident that the anime will get a satisfying end..

I just mean that this announcement is par the course it seems. They announced S2 directly after Dawn of the Deep Soul and then waited for 2.5 years for material to catch up before making S2.

MiA has a non overwhelming, but substantial and loyal following, so most fans are willing to wait. I would not expect S3 for 2-3 years at least. Could be more. 

Since they have already proven that they are willing to wait for the source material before actually making the next season, I feel confident that it will get a faithful ending. Unless something big changes like Tsukushi dying or something haha  

He has said that manga was about half way done around chapter 50-55 and we are waiting on chapter 64 now, so we are in the latter half of the story if that is to be believed..