UnevenEdge

Student Debt Cancellation

NewBluntsworth

23 hours ago, Sieg67 said:

John Oliver recently did a thing on carbon offsets.
They can work if done right but spoilers, they're often not.

He also did a thing several years ago on why the president can't simply eliminate student debt because that's ridiculous and beyond the scope of what can reasonably be asked for by voters. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, NewBluntsworth said:

He also did a thing several years ago on why the president can't simply eliminate student debt because that's ridiculous and beyond the scope of what can reasonably be asked for by voters. 

You bitter bruh?  He didn't just cancel ALL student debt.
He chose to alleviate some of it which I think is reasonable.

It's also only one part of a 3 part plan.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/08/24/fact-sheet-president-biden-announces-student-loan-relief-for-borrowers-who-need-it-most/

Edited by Sieg67
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sieg67 said:

Please tell.  How does student debt relate to carbon neutrality?

I wasn't trying to shift the convo to student debt, that was just a topical example to highlight how Oliver's presentations tend to play very favorably to whatever the current climate of neoliberal reformism is at the time his episode comes out (and right now that's "carbon credits can work, but currently they are abused, we'd need to overcome the corruption and fakery that bad actors are using to make a mockery of it, patch that up and regulate enforcement better and then one day it'll be easier for people like me on tv to pretend that it is a serviceable alternative to radical/actually effective climate policy, which ofc is far beyond what can reasonably be asked for ") 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NewBluntsworth said:

I wasn't trying to shift the convo to student debt, that was just a topical example to highlight how Oliver's presentations tend to play very favorably to whatever the current climate of neoliberal reformism is at the time his episode comes out (and right now that's "carbon credits can work, but currently they are abused, we'd need to overcome the corruption and fakery that bad actors are using to make a mockery of it, patch that up and regulate enforcement better and then one day it'll be easier for people like me on tv to pretend that it is a serviceable alternative to radical/actually effective climate policy, which ofc is far beyond what can reasonably be asked for ") 

The goal of the show is to educate and to bring problematic topics to a larger audience.  Shining light onto corruption is always the first step to solving it.

Would you like to contest any of his talking points regarding carbon neutrality?  What exactly do you expect him to do?

Edited by Sieg67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, NewBluntsworth said:

Very clownish and dusty to pretend like there are no flames just because they're being removed. It's every day with y'all, every single day 

Until now i didnt even respond to you and no one flamed you. Stop making shit up...all staff can still see it and youre just lying....since this isnt about student debt, you can always edit the topic and make it about what you want to talk about....surely you're not bored because you cant shit on someone else's thread

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, cyberbully said:

Until now i didnt even respond to you and no one flamed you. Stop making shit up...all staff can still see it and youre just lying....since this isnt about student debt, you can always edit the topic and make it about what you want to talk about....surely you're not bored because you cant shit on someone else's thread

This is just more of your clique's trash, that's what it's spliced from and that's the context that is being constantly removed as if that does anything

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, NewBluntsworth said:

Disco's called me a bitch out of the blue several times and just did moments ago clown, nothing happens about it except the posts get removed

awww. well...yes...yes i did. 

but i didn't remove it. and something DID happen,  i get a lecture. 

so...i'll leave your delicate sense of self alone.