UnevenEdge

Yu-Gi-Oh Manga creator Kazuki Takahashi passes away at 60

3ngag3

Apparently, he had an accident out in open waters as he was found with his snorkeling gear on.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-07-07/yu-gi-oh-manga-creator-kazuki-takahashi-passes-away-at-60/.187468

My first exposure to pre-TCG (Season 0) Yu-Gi-Oh was through the manga. I had no idea at the time how much of a badass Yami Yugi was compared to his heart of the cards counterpart.

Edited by 3ngag3
  • Sad 4

Man. 😞

For me, Yu-Gi-Oh! was the series, the one that led to all of my interest in animation and Japanese culture and general. So if it weren't for this guy, I wouldn't even be here right now. I didn't even get into the series that much, but at some point I'd love to watch the classic anime (even w/ the sterilized 4Kids dub) and relive that nostalgia I never really had. Least I bought lots of trading cards.

Ultimately, I think Takahashi is a good example of a man who ended up being defined largely by one work, but rather than trying to escape that long shadow, he ended up embracing it, between contributing various character designs to the sequel anime (and some of the story for GX, apparently), drawing variant card art, contributing to the third movie... and then he did get some chances to branch out a bit near the end, which was nice. But for all intents and purposes, he was Yu-Gi-Oh!, and thus he was the guy who taught us all to love a children's card game. Rest in peace.