UnevenEdge

Been in Egypt for over 2 weeks now

jackiemarie90

Honestly, I'm kinda sad I booked my ticket already to Greece, because I wouldn't mind staying in this country longer. I think it's wonderful! Granted, I have privileges that the local women don't have here. Simply because I am American. But I find that people have been nothing but friendly to me here. Locals mention all the time how I look Arabian/Egyptian, and I do think people harass me less because that. Like they don't think I have as much money as the white/blonde tourist. Which is actually true. XD I'm also not afraid to cross the streets, walk 10 miles a day, and try to order the food when I don't know the language. Most people understand the phrase "How much?" and when they realize I mostly speak English then they get curious if I'm American. I did talk to 2 of Arab friends back home about Arabian culture, and they said that people here actually love Americans, and it's true. I think they the U.S. has a lot of power and that for years Arabs were getting a bad reputation in the U.S. but people really seem eager to disprove those stereotypes. I actually felt like the people here are really warm and kind and help whenever I need it.

The food is uh-mazing!! I mean it, I've been to 5 continents now and Egyptian food slaps hard!! In fact, I've visited 4 cities in Italy, and I'm not afraid to say, Egyptian food > Italian food!! So many delicious shawarma roasting everywhere! Tons of cheeses and fresh veggies *drools all over laptop* And the food is so cheap! You can get a feast for $4!!!

That is to say not everything is perfect. It still the desert with crazy dust storms and weather over 90 degrees and you still have to dress conservatively! Honestly a headscarf and long dress just seem practical in these conditions. In all my pics my hair is flying everywhere because of the winds. XD Egypt is still one of the places in the world where you can smoke anywhere indoors, and everyone does. And the Egyptian cigarettes go harder than back home. Chocked fulled with tar and nicotine. >__> hard to find some fresh air but when you do, everything is lovely. It also isn't the most accessible place in the world. Not many elevators in tall buildings, roads turning to sand, so much san that I always end up bringing back in my bed every night. XD

But I do enjoy it here, and had I known I would thrive here, I would have spent more time in Alexandria and maybe Aswan too. But these are lessons for someone else, or maybe if I am lucky, I can come back here again. XD

• Like 9

14 hours ago, jackiemarie90 said:

I did talk to 2 of Arab friends back home about Arabian culture, and they said that people here actually love Americans, and it's true. I think they the U.S. has a lot of power and that for years Arabs were getting a bad reputation in the U.S. but people really seem eager to disprove those stereotypes.

Egypt is one of the more tame parts of the middle east, mainly around Cairo. I guess with major cities in middle eastern countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran you probably would be fine, only because you're a westerner.

Just don't do anything foolish like going on hiking trips throughout the middle east to prove anything. There's an incredibly long list of liberal women and couples that have traveled alone throughout the middle east to prove that the people there are kind and generous, only to be murdered and left in the desert.

Don't care if someone calls me racist on that topic, the statistics don't lie.

I forgot to ask you about the smoking! I can’t find the stats but I think I remember Cairo in particular is the #1 city w/the highest tobacco use in the world and then Egypt as a whole is in the top 10 most smoking countries

I watched this Egyptian show on Netflix called Paranormal and the main character has lung cancer but defiantly keeps smoking. It’s great. Anytime he has to run he’s just like “oh shit” He’s smoking a cigarette in every scene and he’s just like “alright alright! I’ll go stop the curse of the mummy just let me have a smoke first” and everytime he saves the world he goes home and he’s like “whew ok I banished the evil now I can sit here do nothing and smoke. Ah, perfect!”

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DBAss said:

Egypt is one of the more tame parts of the middle east, mainly around Cairo. I guess with major cities in middle eastern countries like Saudi Arabia and Iran you probably would be fine, only because you're a westerner.

Just don't do anything foolish like going on hiking trips throughout the middle east to prove anything. There's an incredibly long list of liberal women and couples that have traveled alone throughout the middle east to prove that the people there are kind and generous, only to be murdered and left in the desert.

Don't care if someone calls me racist on that topic, the statistics don't lie.

Yeah one of the first things I read was doing backpacking trips in Egypt was a big no-no because of the activity going on with the Libyan border. I actually did run into some not so fun activity here in Luxor and I hate this town cause it feels like it really tries to trap tourists here. Actually having another mental breakdown now and gonna head toward Thailand instead of Greece.

1 hour ago, Poof said:

I forgot to ask you about the smoking! I can’t find the stats but I think I remember Cairo in particular is the #1 city w/the highest tobacco use in the world and then Egypt as a whole is in the top 10 most smoking countries

I watched this Egyptian show on Netflix called Paranormal and the main character has lung cancer but defiantly keeps smoking. It’s great. Anytime he has to run he’s just like “oh shit” He’s smoking a cigarette in every scene and he’s just like “alright alright! I’ll go stop the curse of the mummy just let me have a smoke first” and everytime he saves the world he goes home and he’s like “whew ok I banished the evil now I can sit here do nothing and smoke. Ah, perfect!”

This seems highly accurate from what I have seen from Egypt. 

• Like 1