UnevenEdge

Helping or Hurting?!

Vamped

So my clinic is in the middle of shopping center and there are alot of homeless people around at any given time of the day. The shopping center is also literally across the street from the only hospital in this area. I was driving in today and I see a wheelchair out infront of the Dollar Tree. So ... I'm like ... thats weird so I slow down and there's a person laying on the ground infront of the wheelchair but it doesn't look like they fell out of the wheelchair. I think maybe they're just sleeping there .... but now I'm like ... but what if they did fall out?!

If I call 911 and they're just homeless ... like am I  just causing them more trouble ....?

I think I'm gonna call to make sure .... but I dunno. I've asked my coworkers have they noticed? The security guard was like .... he was just chilling over there a few minutes ago

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Provided you're ok with the risk of being asked if you have any change, it would probably be best to go up to them and ask them if they need help back into their wheelchair. Because I think you're right in that calling 911 would be more trouble for them if they are ok and just chilling.

That ....I'm not doing as a woman by myself. 

• Thanks 1

You should've just pulled up and asked if he was ok. Like not even get out of your car. If he needed help you could go find another good samaritan to help you with him so you wouldn't have to do it alone. 

Like in any humanitarian situation like this, just ask regular people to help. Yes you could risk your personal safety more by doing this, but calling the police comes with personal risk too. And for homeless people, police are always a huge risk.

Update: They just sleep in front of the Dollar Tree. Usually the people in Dollar Tree wakes them up when they open the store. I guess they didn't care today (?)  I was talking to one of the EMS people that brings the patients in super early in the morning. So now they're at Wendy's chilling. 

• Like 3