UnevenEdge

Demarco confirms the reason toonami isn't getting DS S2 is because it's price was too high

CountFrylock

I'm curious as to what will happen with Dr. Stone and MHA. Those properties are both likely to end up in the same boat as DS.

Eh, face it, Toonami hasn't performed well enough to get actual budgeting, the originals didn't perform as well as expected (they were both quite good imo but....) and now they have to pick through the proverbial bargain bin of series.

They should go for direct audience engagement, like posting submitted audience stills/memes watch party photos etc.. That is free, it builds participation and views and can build a larger audience as people tune in to see what the fans are submitting. Combine that with the Tom/Sara promos and packaging and you have a product that might actually work. As it is now, it is just a passion project full of obscure titles and shows that fall into the category of "This program surpasses your might".

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Blatch said:

Also, Made in Abyss's finale is an hour long. No avoiding that. But either way, I think they could manage a 45-minute slot. Just garnish the episode with a Rick and Morty anime short.

The way you say that suggests they plan on either lopping 15 minutes off the episode or playing it without commercial breaks, neither of which are smart decisions.

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

...but wait, TBS DOES air AEW, and NCAA Basketball once a year. And I think they still air movies.

They just acquired AEW at the beginning of 2022, so it might take some time for the change. But if the status quo remains, I'd say it's not too farfetched that, sometime in 2023, the Demon Slayer movie airs on TBS after AEW...

...EVEN IF it still hasn't come to Toonami. On that note, it looks like this season would have some REALLY wonky airtimes, including an hour-long premiere and a 45-MINUTE finale! Maybe it's best that Demon Slayer Season 2 ISN'T coming yet, if ever.

The first episode of the Entertainment District was about 47 mins compared to an average episode of 23-24 mins. Basically twice the length. So the arc finale will probably clock in closer to 47 mins than 45 but that’s not 60 mins vs 45 it’s 60 mins of broadcast time with commercials. Same deal with Made in Abyss.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ginguy said:

I'm curious as to what will happen with Dr. Stone and MHA. Those properties are both likely to end up in the same boat as DS.

Eh, face it, Toonami hasn't performed well enough to get actual budgeting, the originals didn't perform as well as expected (they were both quite good imo but....) and now they have to pick through the proverbial bargain bin of series.

They should go for direct audience engagement, like posting submitted audience stills/memes watch party photos etc.. That is free, it builds participation and views and can build a larger audience as people tune in to see what the fans are submitting. Combine that with the Tom/Sara promos and packaging and you have a product that might actually work. As it is now, it is just a passion project full of obscure titles and shows that fall into the category of "This program surpasses your might".

I'm also curious about that....more so because attack on titan was guaranteed to be on toonami due to that old contract they made where they got first dibs on the dub so nothing was gonna change that

....it's hard to build fan participation and hype if the majority of what you air can already be easily accessed on a streaming service without staying up late

that's the major problem for toonami right now....too many people online see the block as something that's outdated and no longer has a purpose

you show them the current lineup and they'll say "i can easily see all of that on my computer without committing to a weekly block on saturday nights"

Edited by CountFrylock

56 minutes ago, Sketch said:

The first episode of the Entertainment District was about 47 mins compared to an average episode of 23-24 mins. Basically twice the length. So the arc finale will probably clock in closer to 47 mins than 45 but that’s not 60 mins vs 45 it’s 60 mins of broadcast time with commercials. Same deal with Made in Abyss.

Oh, that makes sense. So this isn't an "Is Lupin Still Burning" situation after all!

Hard to believe at this point since we've been through 2020 and 2021 which both featured an assortment of Warner Brothers animated movies, but that and the SAO Alicization premiere were really the only 2 things aired in all 2019 that didn't fit neatly into a 30-minute runtime.

19 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Oh, that makes sense. So this isn't an "Is Lupin Still Burning" situation after all!

Hard to believe at this point since we've been through 2020 and 2021 which both featured an assortment of Warner Brothers animated movies, but that and the SAO Alicization premiere were really the only 2 things aired in all 2019 that didn't fit neatly into a 30-minute runtime.

probably because there wasn't as much of a need to stall for time in 2019 like there was in 2020 and 2021

plus HBO Max coming into play meant more promotional events to try and convince people to subscribe