UnevenEdge

Benji, I'd like your input regarding DoorDashers

Doom Metal Alchemist

@bnmjy

So a little backstory....

At the start of COVID, ordering from my favorite pizza place got a little different. They did mandatory contactless delivery. There were various methods for this. My preferred method was to leave it at the door. And I put in the special instructions field "Please TEXT [number] upon arrival." 

I fucking love this method, covid or no covid. Even though COVID isn't taken as seriously anymore, I still like this method and always request it. 

For quite a while now, this restaurant has randomly used Doordash to deliver their orders for them rather than using their own employees. Usually the door dashers would have absolutely no issues following these requests. But lately they give no fucks.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think it would be LESS convenient for a doordasher to continuously knock on a door wait for someone to answer rather than just plop it on the doorstep, text "you're food's here" and leave. But apparently not. I've been getting really frustrated with this, so last week when Doordash asked me how I would rate my experience, I left a 2. The reason? I'm usually in an area of the house where I can't hear the doorbell or knocking. I specifically said to leave it at the door and text me. When I say leave it at the door and text me, I mean leave it at the door and text me. I don't even ever use doordash, this restaurant just randomly uses doordash to fill their deliveries without my having any say and with this particular restaurant these instructions are all routine shit. I didn't even know my pizza was here, eventually my mom answered the door, but not immediately.

That brings us to today. My mom called me (I have no fucking idea why she didn't text me, we're both in the house) that my pizza was here. I was surprised. I tried preparing this time. I left my bedroom door open, listening for the doorbell or knocking and never heard it. So I went downstairs expecting to see my pizza, but was told it was still outside. Why? The doordasher never came to the door. No doorbell, no knocking, no text, no call, no nothing. Literally the only reason any of us knew they came by is my parents have their security camera monitors mounted above the TV in the living room so they see when people come into the drive way, and they saw the doordasher deliver the pizza and stealthily leave. 

Ok, while I'm thrilled they didn't knock or ring the doorbell, THE WHOLE POINT OF THAT WAS TO TEXT ME INSTEAD. Instead they gave me no indication whatsoever they came by. Motherfucker, you've taken such a hard moral stand against taking your customers' request to text them, that you're just gonna make me fucking GUESS when you've come by?

TLDR; So, that leaves me with this question to you, benji: Your customer requests that you text them upon your arrival. Do you do it? If not, why not?

Edited by Doom Metal Alchemist

Well it's quite apparent that you aren't ordering directly from the app. If you did, you'd have the option of selecting leave at my door and the app would notify you that your food was delivered. You might as well order food from this location this way if you already know they use doordash for their deliveries.

Orders made through the merchant are processed differently on doordash. It could be the dashers are simply not seeing your special instructions. I think system updates may affect tgat I know this happened to me a while ago, when I delivered to an apartment. I just left it in the entrance, but the customer texted me later on asking why I hadn't brought it up to her apartment. I just did not see the instructions on my ed. Considering dashers normally followed your instructions, I would think this is the most likely case for them too.

And yes, I normally follow instructions.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Good lord I had no idea there were any pizza places delivering that late. Around here they stop delivering around 8:00. My favorite pizza places closes for the night (the entire place, not just deliveries) at 9:30. Though I have no idea how late any Dominoes around here delivers. 

2 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Good lord I had no idea there were any pizza places delivering that late. Around here they stop delivering around 8:00. My favorite pizza places closes for the night (the entire place, not just deliveries) at 9:30. Though I have no idea how late any Dominoes around here delivers. 

I've lived in towns where everything closed at 8 and in Chicago, where you can get a thin crust at 4 am.