UnevenEdge

One Piece is now the 2nd highest selling comic of all time, surpassing Batman

Jman

When you think about the fact that Batman has been drawn by literally hundreds of different artists over 90 years, while One Piece was one man accomplishing the same feat in less than 25. Also, the numbers for US comics indicate sales of single-issue floppies, so when you consider sales by pagecount One Piece is absolutely destroying them.

8 hours ago, Top Gun said:

When you think about the fact that Batman has been drawn by literally hundreds of different artists over 90 years, while One Piece was one man accomplishing the same feat in less than 25. Also, the numbers for US comics indicate sales of single-issue floppies, so when you consider sales by pagecount One Piece is absolutely destroying them.

true but this person's argument was "one piece will conclude while batman's still going on  so talking about how one piece outsells batman will be irrelevant"

Between this and the other thread you really need to stop reading posts by people who are dumb as bricks.

Also it wouldn't shock me in the least if OP maintains its lead pretty much indefinitely. When we get close to the finale, people in Japan are going to be buying back volumes like crazy to catch up. Meanwhile just about no one buys superhero comics anymore.

Edited by Top Gun

22 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Between this and the other thread you really need to stop reading posts by people who are dumb as bricks.

Also it wouldn't shock me in the least if OP maintains its lead pretty much indefinitely. When we get close to the finale, people in Japan are going to be buying back volumes like crazy to catch up. Meanwhile just about no one buys superhero comics anymore.

whenever manga comes up in a topic on a comic book sub-forum you always have people like that

the same people who would ignore demon slayer mugen train's success because it was a limited release and sees anime movies as being far too obscure to warrant anything more than that

" One Piece, good or bad will never have that kind of longevity" is a statement I've seen

Edited by CountFrylock

4 minutes ago, Jman said:

I honestly wonder, if it ever comes out, if the LA One Piece could give volumes in the US the same boost Invincible got from its show,

Eh I'm not sure about that....it's easier for someone to get a few trade paperbacks of invincible than it is to try and start collecting One piece volumes

the amount of english volumes currently available would turn away most people

9 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Eh I'm not sure about that....it's easier for someone to get a few trade paperbacks of invincible than it is to try and start collecting One piece volumes

the amount of english volumes currently available would turn away most people

Parts of Invincible's story literally occur in Spider-Man Team Up and The Tick.

At least OP is properly numbered.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:47 AM, Jman said:

Parts of Invincible's story literally occur in Spider-Man Team Up and The Tick.

At least OP is properly numbered.

is that true? because that sounds like a first for an independent comic book for required reading to be in another company's book(especially marvel comics in the case of spider-man team up)

On 7/21/2021 at 7:51 PM, Jman said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a00f5ec4226f0d13745e772de3723ee5.jpeg

image.jpeg.0608b2106a213fdbb225cf4a75f1d019.jpeg

are those really required for reading invincible though? if so then that makes no sense at all....(especially since i doubt it's something the animated series will reference so less of a reason for fans of the tv show to bother with it)

also yes One Piece is Properly Numbered(so there's no need to shift through a dozen relaunches)but the instant someone sees how many volumes of one piece there are and it's still going

they'd feel more than a little bit intimidated

edit: Looking up more info on this...doesn't sound like those issues are really something you have to read   Parts of Spidey's webbings are seen on Marc in an issue of invincible afterwards but it doesn't sound like You'll really miss out if you don't read the tick or spider-man crossover

it's more like Oh these characters crossed over and they vaguely are referenced in the actual book

Edited by CountFrylock

That particular case aside, I think one massive advantage manga has over mainline superhero comics is that the latter are almost completely impenetrable to newcomers, because there isn't one single entry point where they can jump in and get caught up to speed. The big hero series seem like they're caught in this constant tug-of-war between respecting decades-old continuity and reinventing themselves, and every decade or so they pull this big sprawling reset event sprawling across multiple titles that's incomprehensible to all but the most hardcore fans. In contrast most manga series are a single self-contained storyline, so it's far easier to jump in at the beginning and go from there.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Like 2

another thing i have to point out between Marvel/DC and manga is that unlike manga where you normally see both writing and art duties being done by the same person

the writer and the artist aren't the same person

sometimes they are(as with the case of  indie titles)but it isn't as common in america as it is in japan to have One Person writing the story and drawing the artwork for the book

plus on Marvel/DC Books Most Writers tend to work with filler artists when the main artist needs a break

which can be jarring depending on who the artist is and how it looks compared to the main artist for that book

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

another thing i have to point out between Marvel/DC and manga is that unlike manga where you normally see both writing and art duties being done by the same person

the writer and the artist aren't the same person

sometimes they are(as with the case of  indie titles)but it isn't as common in america as it is in japan to have One Person writing the story and drawing the artwork for the book

plus on Marvel/DC Books Most Writers tend to work with filler artists when the main artist needs a break

which can be jarring depending on who the artist is and how it looks compared to the main artist for that book

Honestly I wish more manga series would have separate artist/writer roles, because they're very different skillsets. Tell me that Bleach wouldn't have been massively improved if Kubo had just handled the overall concept and artwork and let someone else handle the writing.