UnevenEdge

Toonami's Demotion of MHA S3 remains one of the dumbest things They've done on adultswim

who else agrees with me on this?...I Remember struggling to stay awake just to watch those episodes and i really shouldn't have had to do that

but somehow i guess at the time toonami saw MHA as a declining series and dumped S3 near the end of the block....

Nobody was happy about that decision and I'm not convinced it won't happen again with S5....

Edited by CountFrylock

It didn't happen with S4, so I AM!

S3 WAS the newest season at the time, but it was TWO YEARS OLD. S4 was anywhere from 1-3 months because of the worst of the pandemic. S5 is also a month old, and by far, like AOT which preceded it, the NEWEST show on Toonami.

So just chill. MHA won't get buried again, at least not for 16 weeks.

Edited by OwlChemist81

39 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It didn't happen with S4, so I AM!

S3 WAS the newest season at the time, but it was TWO YEARS OLD. S4 was anywhere from 1-3 months because of the worst of the pandemic. S5 is also a month old, and by far, like AOT which preceded it, the NEWEST show on Toonami.

So just chill. MHA won't get buried again, at least not for 16 weeks.

We'll See...You are probably right but then again adultswim sometimes makes decisions nobody can understand or explain.....

they always do what they think is best for business and that doesn't always mean what's actually best for business

Edited by CountFrylock

8 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

who else agrees with me on this?...I Remember struggling to stay awake just to watch those episodes and i really shouldn't have had to do that

but somehow i guess at the time toonami saw MHA as a declining series and dumped S3 near the end of the block....

Nobody was happy about that decision and I'm not convinced it won't happen again with S5....

Agreed.

I like how they pushed it down further into the block because wasn't doing as well as they hoped. But DON'T FUCKIN PUT PREMIERES AT THE END OF THE BLOCK!

34 minutes ago, elfie said:

Agreed.

I like how they pushed it down further into the block because wasn't doing as well as they hoped. But DON'T FUCKIN PUT PREMIERES AT THE END OF THE BLOCK!

Elfie, are you serious? You REALLY believe there's a chance they'll move premieres of a 2021 show down to 3:30 AM!? I get that it was a dumb decision the first time, but come ON man, aren't you smarter than that??

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Elfie, are you serious? You REALLY believe there's a chance they'll move premieres of a 2021 show down to 3:30 AM!? I get that it was a dumb decision the first time, but come ON man, aren't you smarter than that??

... but they actually DID that.

1 hour ago, brianycpht said:

This is not a way for them to say things like “see? Anime doesn’t perform on weeknights”

Everything is working against it 

mostly because

1.Who the hell will randomly tune into Naruto at that time on a weekday morning...

2.it's not exactly an anime you can air on weekdays and expect people to tune into toonami because of it

Edited by CountFrylock

That was one of the stupidest decisions AS programming made with the Toonami lineup. I’m still wondering exactly why it ever happened because “performance” most likely wasn’t the reason. Then they actually played season 4 as the lead as if they never buried season 3. Just what the actual hell?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sketch said:

That was one of the stupidest decisions AS programming made with the Toonami lineup. I’m still wondering exactly why it ever happened because “performance” most likely wasn’t the reason. Then they actually played season 4 as the lead as if they never buried season 3. Just what the actual hell?

I want to say that the network made then shift back to 11 because MHA wasn’t performing at 10:30. They also knew they wouldn’t be playing season 4 right after 3 ended. They didn’t know when exactly it would play either. But they didn’t want to shift the whole lineup so they lazily just moved MHA to 3:30 because it basically got it out of the way. There was simply too much else going on with the lineup at the time to do anything else with it if the network wouldn’t let them keep 10:30. They probably weren’t intending to replace it with anything at the time (although they did end up replacing it with Dr. Stone and shoving Lupin down to the death slot) 

Edited by brianycpht

Programming just not wanting to change anything else when Toonami lost 10:30 has been my go to explanation because it sounds like something they’d haphazardly do on a whim.

You’re probably right about the network being uncertain when they would be able to air season 4. Thankfully that little stunt didn’t convince FUNimation to take their ball and go home.

8 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Programming just not wanting to change anything else when Toonami lost 10:30 has been my go to explanation because it sounds like something they’d haphazardly do on a whim.

You’re probably right about the network being uncertain when they would be able to air season 4. Thankfully that little stunt didn’t convince FUNimation to take their ball and go home.

They kind of took a gamble that the fans of the show would follow along (and they did). 

What wasn’t helpful was Jason’s comments about “well maybe if more people watched at 10:30 it wouldn’t have to move”. A little misleading statement. The show wasn’t doing bad- just not 10:30 good. Earlier in the year they acknowledged 11 was the earliest the block should start- but the “gotta shove Titan in right when it’s done so Funimation can stream it”forced an expansion 

There was a lot of talk at the time that moving it to 3:30 was in retaliation for Funimation backing out of a deal or something and that “power move” brought them back and we’ve had a bunch of their shows since then. I even heard some talk that it’s what got Toonami season 4 so quickly. Not sure if that was a thing or not- who knows? I think it was just a programming chess move and it had nothing to do with anything else 

At the time, it did feel like kind of a burn off and we were done with MHA

Edited by brianycpht
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2021 at 5:35 AM, brianycpht said:

They kind of took a gamble that the fans of the show would follow along (and they did). 

What wasn’t helpful was Jason’s comments about “well maybe if more people watched at 10:30 it wouldn’t have to move”. A little misleading statement. The show wasn’t doing bad- just not 10:30 good. Earlier in the year they acknowledged 11 was the earliest the block should start- but the “gotta shove Titan in right when it’s done so Funimation can stream it”forced an expansion 

There was a lot of talk at the time that moving it to 3:30 was in retaliation for Funimation backing out of a deal or something and that “power move” brought them back and we’ve had a bunch of their shows since then. I even heard some talk that it’s what got Toonami season 4 so quickly. Not sure if that was a thing or not- who knows? I think it was just a programming chess move and it had nothing to do with anything else 

At the time, it did feel like kind of a burn off and we were done with MHA

Demarco's comments more often than not just read like "Desperate PR Lingo"

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

Demarco's comments more often than not just read like "Desperate PR Lingo"

More like a case of "I did not expect anyone to ask me this on ask.fm, a platform where people ASK YOU QUESTIONS, or on Twitter, so I'll just say whatever the first thing comes out of my ass because I didn't prepare an answer beforehand".

11 minutes ago, elfie said:

More like a case of "I did not expect anyone to ask me this on ask.fm, a platform where people ASK YOU QUESTIONS, or on Twitter, so I'll just say whatever the first thing comes out of my ass because I didn't prepare an answer beforehand".

Honestly, I don’t know why he felt compelled to say anything. According to him, he doesn’t have a say in the schedule- so he always uses it as an opportunity direct the anger to the programming department while blaming fans for not watching when that wasn’t entirely true. I just wouldn’t say anything rather than talk just so he can say something. 

He did it too when they had to stop the 7 hour Toonami in 2018. He said something to the effect of “Yeah. I tried to tell Lazzo that wouldn’t work but he insisted on trying it” His own boss. I guess they all have a good relationship 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Honestly, I don’t know why he felt compelled to say anything. According to him, he doesn’t have a say in the schedule- so he always uses it as an opportunity direct the anger to the programming department while blaming fans for not watching when that wasn’t entirely true. I just wouldn’t say anything rather than talk just so he can say something. 

He did it too when they had to stop the 7 hour Toonami in 2018. He said something to the effect of “Yeah. I tried to tell Lazzo that wouldn’t work but he insisted on trying it” His own boss. I guess they all have a good relationship 

telling fans "its your fault for not watching" when most of them aren't counted in the ratings is a pretty dick thing to do

• D'oh 1

8 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

telling fans "its your fault for not watching" when most of them aren't counted in the ratings is a pretty dick thing to do

Especially if you’re moving the block back to a time period that just a few months ago was said to did not work. It could very well just not be a good time for viewers to catch it due to going out and not being home.A lot of the viewership work second shift, there’s also dinners out, and movies ect.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brianycpht said:

Especially if you’re moving the block back to a time period that just a few months ago was said to did not work. It could very well just not be a good time for viewers to catch it due to going out and not being home.A lot of the viewership work second shift, there’s also dinners out, and movies ect.

and currently his insistence that nothing can do better than DBS Reruns upfront  even MHA S5 Episodes ....just blows my mind

all because "We're a tv network and we need to cater to the casual audience most of all!"

that casual audience who seems to hate anything that isn't dragon ball related....catering to them doesn't seem to be working so well for toonami

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

and currently his insistence that nothing can do better than DBS Reruns upfront  even MHA S5 Episodes ....just blows my mind

all because "We're a tv network and we need to cater to the casual audience most of all!"

that casual audience who seems to hate anything that isn't dragon ball related....catering to them doesn't seem to be working so well for toonami

I get it. You kind of feel like an audience who could care less for the block is catered to over the dedicated week in week out fans 

I feel the same with the holiday rationale. We pause for the people who only watch when it’s convenient for them. 

You feel a sense of ownership and more things of a right to have things different because at the end of the day you devote more of your time to the block than the casuals. I totally get it. I feel the same about theme parks during the busy season when the tourists who only go on holidays crowd the parks and kind of “take it away from me” for awhile.

But remember- the casuals are the majority of the viewership. Still hate that every show suffers  the chance at a better timeslot to cater to a rerun 

6 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

I get it. You kind of feel like an audience who could care less for the block is catered to over the dedicated week in week out fans 

I feel the same with the holiday rationale. We pause for the people who only watch when it’s convenient for them. 

You feel a sense of ownership and more things of a right to have things different because at the end of the day you devote more of your time to the block than the casuals. I totally get it. I feel the same about theme parks during the busy season when the tourists who only go on holidays crowd the parks and kind of “take it away from me” for awhile.

But remember- the casuals are the majority of the viewership. Still hate that every show suffers  the chance at a better timeslot to cater to a rerun 

thing is if the casuals only watch DBS reruns and refuse to watch anything else....can we even call them toonami viewers?

if you only watch DB Related Stuff(Even In Reruns)and hate anything  You Aren't a toonami viewer  You Are just a dragon ball viewer

they come for DBS Reruns then leave when it's over so the majority of the block they are absent

there isn't a New DB Series Coming soon...a movie yes(announced for 2022)but an actual tv series? Nah

so if toonami's doing this to try and stall until more DB Content arrives for them to air then they are out of luck

any other network would probably think it's a brainless move to promote 2 year old reruns over new content and parading it around like a golden goose

Edited by CountFrylock

7 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

thing is if the casuals only watch DBS reruns and refuse to watch anything else....can we even call them toonami viewers?

if you only watch DB Related Stuff(Even In Reruns)and hate anything  You Aren't a toonami viewer  You Are just a dragon ball viewer

they come for DBS Reruns then leave when it's over so the majority of the block they are absent

there isn't a New DB Series Coming soon...a movie yes(announced for 2022)but an actual tv series? Nah

so if toonami's doing this to try and stall until more DB Content arrives for them to air then they are out of luck

any other network would probably think it's a brainless move to promote 2 year old reruns over new content and parading it around like a golden goose

Network just cares about retaining Family Guy and getting the 1200 slot as high as it can be for advertisers 

7 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

Network just cares about retaining Family Guy and getting the 1200 slot as high as it can be for advertisers 

I Never really got the family guy/dragon ball connection or how Dragon ball fans are also family guy fans and that's how they did well..

either way The Network won't have family guy anymore soon and then they'll be screwed because they didn't have a plan for what happens after family guy because they never thought they wouldn't have it at some point

so now their only option is to maybe spam rick and morty even more(i swear I've seen all the episodes so many times i can puke....if i see pickle rick one more time)but that would probably get to the point of irritating when you start seeing rick and morty four or five times a night...

heh as for ratings...considering the most Mysterious and unknown people are counted for this(Seriously I've never known anyone who was selected for the Nielsen Survey....Nobody I've ever talked to has)in a very small capacity to judge what the entire country likes

it doesn't take long before i get annoyed by it's outdated existence

It'd be  like gauging what the average american's favorite food was by polling random people in 10-20 small towns and saying that proves anything

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

I think it’s a bit disingenuous to say the majority of the people watching DBS reruns don’t stay for the other shows currently. When DBS was dub premieres it couldn’t be touched, the ceiling was too high. Lately however, Titan has held 90% of DBS’ turn-out and it’s rare for any show to pull in less than 50% of the viewers DBS did. Even accounting for people coming in to offset DBS viewers leaving it’s still unlikely that the majority of DBS viewers aren’t staying for most of the block now.

So we have to look at this two ways.

One possibility is that DBS actually isn’t necessary at all because the other shows aren’t doing poorly on their own. If MHA can do about as well at midnight then it can anchor Toonami just fine.

The other possibility (and the one AS seems to believe is happening) is DBS lifts everything on Toonami and if they removed it, there would be a 20% or so loss of viewership in at least the midnight hour if not beyond that.

The only thing we can garner from prior data is that DBS reruns retain Family Guy viewers better than MHA premieres did. But it’s hard to say how many of the viewers watching DBS were retained from Family Guy and carry into the 2nd show on Toonami or how many viewers show up for DBS and stay for most of Toonami.

Frankly I feel the solution is a little expansion. Give DBS 11:30 and move every premiere up a half hour. That should do as well or better than the current ratings. It would be an easy move when Final Space finishes its season or they could dump 1 of 4 American Dad’s.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sketch said:

I think it’s a bit disingenuous to say the majority of the people watching DBS reruns don’t stay for the other shows currently. When DBS was dub premieres it couldn’t be touched, the ceiling was too high. Lately however, Titan has held 90% of DBS’ turn-out and it’s rare for any show to pull in less than 50% of the viewers DBS did. Even accounting for people coming in to offset DBS viewers leaving it’s still unlikely that the majority of DBS viewers aren’t staying for most of the block now.

So we have to look at this two ways.

One possibility is that DBS actually isn’t necessary at all because the other shows aren’t doing poorly on their own. If MHA can do about as well at midnight then it can anchor Toonami just fine.

The other possibility (and the one AS seems to believe is happening) is DBS lifts everything on Toonami and if they removed it, there would be a 20% or so loss of viewership in at least the midnight hour if not beyond that.

The only thing we can garner from prior data is that DBS reruns retain Family Guy viewers better than MHA premieres did. But it’s hard to say how many of the viewers watching DBS were retained from Family Guy and carry into the 2nd show on Toonami or how many viewers show up for DBS and stay for most of Toonami.

Frankly I feel the solution is a little expansion. Give DBS 11:30 and move every premiere up a half hour. That should do as well or better than the current ratings. It would be an easy move when Final Space finishes its season or they could dump 1 of 4 American Dad’s.

A worry I think we all have is that no matter how low the numbers get for Super, they'll still believe anything else will just perform worse. its gong to be a catch 22 until they actually try something different

2 hours ago, brianycpht said:

A worry I think we all have is that no matter how low the numbers get for Super, they'll still believe anything else will just perform worse. its gong to be a catch 22 until they actually try something different

and unfortunately they'll keep DBS Reruns upfront until it's run concludes....They had the chance to let something fresh lead the block(MHA S5)instead they insist DBS Reruns can't be beat at the lead position

however by refusing to put MHA S5 in that lead spot what exactly can they put in that spot once The DBS Run Concludes?

nobody knows because there isn't a surefire answer this time....and none of the originals have what it takes to be the lead show

Since the movie was absurdly successful in theaters, and the show did sunset its premiere on Toonami in the #2 timeslot and get an encore run on Toonami, I actually believe they'll try Demon Slayer Season 2 in the lead slot when the time comes, especially if it somehow gets dubbed even faster than Season 1 did.

Otherwise, I would say Yasha-Hime has what it takes to lead the block, IF we ever get it. Beyond that, I would certainly say the originals have block-leading potential. But MHA is a MAYBE for leading the block at midnight at this point.

Edited by OwlChemist81

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Since the movie was absurdly successful in theaters, and the show did sunset its premiere on Toonami in the #2 timeslot and get an encore run on Toonami, I actually believe they'll try Demon Slayer Season 2 in the lead slot when the time comes, especially if it somehow gets dubbed even faster than Season 1 did.

Otherwise, I would say Yasha-Hime has what it takes to lead the block, IF we ever get it. Beyond that, I would certainly say the originals have block-leading potential. But MHA is a MAYBE for leading the block at midnight at this point.

Uzumaki isn't really something the average american would be into