UnevenEdge

Attack On Titan: The Final Season Episode #65 "The War Hammer Titan" Discussion

4 hours ago, elfie said:

Just in: Sasha making her Season 4 debut wasn't without bad news from dub fans. Since Season 3, Ashly Burch has become a union-only actor, meaning she cannot be on this dub anymore, and Sasha's remaining episodes were all filled in by Megan Shipman instead. Ashly has recently started recording as the lead role in a Disney Channel original animated series "The Ghost And Molly McGee", and Disney only hires union actors. Some outlets online are saying Ashly was just "too busy", since they have no idea how the profession works (and everyone's recording at home now so that would still be a lame excuse either way). This makes Sasha the only Attack on Titan character whose dub voice had to be replaced.

Not too bad that she's the only one. Glad everyone else is back. Megan did a good job in that ep last weekend, thought she sounded a little different but wasn't sure if it might have been her aging up her voice since we haven't seen Sasha that calm much like in that scene lol. Pretty great that they were able to get everyone else back recording from home.

I completely agree it's almost definitely a union/non-union thing since that's happened so many times over the years, even though she's probably one of the VAs that isn't just working from home since she's likely in the middle of recording and mocapping Aloy for Horizon Forbidden West unless she's already finished.

On 2/15/2021 at 11:27 AM, DangerMouse said:

Yeah I think it'll need to be a split season like S3 was.

Not really sure why it's called the "final season" then lol.

On 2/15/2021 at 10:36 PM, mochi said:

Mappa is gaining fame as a studio that gives stunning animation quality at a low cost (like Titmouse in the US) so they likely changed to Mappa for that reason

also....as has been pointed out, the art in this season is just the Manga's style...so basically, this is what the show should have looked like to begin with, the Old studio made the series "Prettier" than the manga

the old Studio also randomly changed an LGBT character's gender for unknown reasons, Zoe Hange was canonically non-Binary with their gender never confirmed at all in the Manga...the anime made them a woman for some reason

If you read in the interview with the production staff DangerMouse posted (you have to click the pics in the tweet to read it,) it was apparently because the production committee wanted the anime out NOW (said in Veruca Salt voice,) and WIT was too busy.  If Mappa is cheaper though that is probably another factor going in their favor.  I wish we could have continued with the same studio for consistency's sake.  The Titans also seem to be CGI more often, if not all the time now, which is disappointing.

Right but again, we have been watching the anime this whole time, not the manga.  It makes more sense to be consistent with what we are already watching, than suddenly decide to make things "manga accurate" at the end.

I remember hearing about that.  Is it really true? Also, unless I am misunderstanding, gender unconfirmed just means we don't know what their gender is, not necessarily that they are non-binary, right?  It would be the same deal as with Crona from Soul Eater.

8 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

Not too bad that she's the only one. Glad everyone else is back. Megan did a good job in that ep last weekend, thought she sounded a little different but wasn't sure if it might have been her aging up her voice since we haven't seen Sasha that calm much like in that scene lol. Pretty great that they were able to get everyone else back recording from home.

I completely agree it's almost definitely a union/non-union thing since that's happened so many times over the years, even though she's probably one of the VAs that isn't just working from home since she's likely in the middle of recording and mocapping Aloy for Horizon Forbidden West unless she's already finished.

I never understood the whole union and non union thing.  Especially since there seems to have been "impossible" castings and combinations before, or even how all the InuYasha VAs were brought back.

Huh, I didn't realize Ashly Burch played Aloy too?  Or I forgot.  I got a PS4 during the tail end, I loved that game.  I beat it and I wrote up a post on it but I don't think I ever posted it!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 8:25 AM, elfie said:

I feel horrible for the animators. A ton of people have sent them insults online and even lambasted the still poses and how the OP is just filled with explosions instead of gripping camera pans of a fight, and yet they also said drawing the average AoT face takes twice as long to do in any other anime before! Sucks.

Who is doing this?  If it is American fans I can't imagine the animators understanding or listening to them about it.  And I don't think Japanese fans are that crazy.  Then again, Japanese fans bullied a young wrestler to the point she committed suicide, over some incident on a reality show.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Society/Hana-Kimura-death-Cyberbullying-suspect-faces-possible-charges

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Not really sure wh

I never understood the whole union and non union thing.  Especially since there seems to have been "impossible" castings and combinations before, or even how all the InuYasha VAs were brought back.

Huh, I didn't realize Ashly Burch played Aloy too?  Or I forgot.  I got a PS4 during the tail end, I loved that game.  I beat it and I wrote up a post on it but I don't think I ever posted it!

It has to do with perks, bonuses, benefits, and other additional things to help their livelihood. The goal of an actor is to get not only the highest paid job but also the one with the most perks because our economy is in the shitter. Not only can being a part of SAG and getting the right agency help with that, but you can really only do that in California at the moment, and sadly, most studios that dub anime in English aren't union. This means people have seen a ton of their favorite anime actors suddenly become another Troy Baker or another Laura Bailey. Like 20 characters in Bleach's dub had to be replaced almost overnight because of a union strike. I can't keep track of how many dub actors in the original FMA 2003 dub are no longer working at Funimation besides the ones who are actual employees there, like Colleen who is an ADR director and writer.

Edited by elfie

On 2/21/2021 at 1:29 PM, elfie said:

It has to do with perks, bonuses, benefits, and other additional things to help their livelihood. The goal of an actor is to get not only the highest paid job but also the one with the most perks because our economy is in the shitter. Not only can being a part of SAG and getting the right agency help with that, but you can really only do that in California at the moment, and sadly, most studios that dub anime in English aren't union. This means people have seen a ton of their favorite anime actors suddenly become another Troy Baker or another Laura Bailey. Like 20 characters in Bleach's dub had to be replaced almost overnight because of a union strike. I can't keep track of how many dub actors in the original FMA 2003 dub are no longer working at Funimation besides the ones who are actual employees there, like Colleen who is an ADR director and writer.

Oh ok.  Well I thought the anime roles didn't pay much anyway.  I wonder why they don't get paid more nowadays, especially with how successful and popular anome has become in the United States over the years.  What happened to Troy Baker and Laura Bailey?  Yeah I definitely don't remember 20 Bleach VAs being changed.  It was like a handful of characters at best.  I don't remember hearing anything about a union strike either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Oh ok.  Well I thought the anime roles didn't pay much anyway.  I wonder why they don't get paid more nowadays, especially with how successful and popular anome has become in the United States over the years.  What happened to Troy Baker and Laura Bailey?  Yeah I definitely don't remember 20 Bleach VAs being changed.  It was like a handful of characters at best.  I don't remember hearing anything about a union strike either.

Troy and Laura started as non-union actors from Texas in Funimation roles, but now are both union actors from California with an exponentially larger salary and are extremely picky about what they accept for work. Almost 100% of their money comes from video games and Critical Role, a show BASED ON A GAME. Troy in particular has been photographed among Hollywood elites and is now basically a Hollywood celebrity. Very few voice actors achieve this acclaim unless you are Frank Welker who can appear in literally anything due to his animal impressions, or can also do live-action projects like Tom Kenny. This big divide in the entertainment sector has caused some to even strike themselves. Crispin Freeman has lobbied against SAG at many points because voice actors aren't paid well.

There was no press release about Bleach's union strike. But of course you could notice the changes in the episodes, and fans put enough clues together to figure out what happened.

Edited by elfie