UnevenEdge

Has Tite Kubo been blacklisted from the manga industry?

ben0119

There's a lot of old anime coming back nowadays (D-Grayman, Gode Geass)

But... I think in Bleach's case, not enough people care anymore to be worth bringing back the anime.

Well, in Japan anyway. America would welcome it, but in the grand scheme of things, America doesn't really matter when it comes to anime.

I just feel bad for Kubo. For as long as Bleach ran........ it still got cancelled. Thats rough.

Well they are making a Japanese live action movie for some reason...

And Bleach could come back via America, a la Big O, FLCL, etc.  The Trigun movie happened because of America, not Japan.  And Watanabe isn't even that big of a deal in Japan... Space Dandy on Toonami came about due to Watanabe's urging, not Demarco begging and pleading at the Altar of Watanabe.  So yes, America matters when it comes to anime, a lot more than you think.

...It didn't get cancelled.  Kubo ended the series early himself, due to his worsening illness.  Do you not know how to read?

It'd be hilarious if right as they were about to do that, Kubo passes away.

Not cool, man.

Anyway, what is Kubo's illness and how bad is he?  He looks much older now and it's not even been that many years since we last had photos of him... I'm concerned about him.

That's nice and all, but he didn't have to end it so abruptly. If he wanted to end it for that kid, he could have at least tied up the loose ends first.

Kubo was going to end it after Aizen's defeat, because he was so sick.  The illness started around the time of the tenth anniversary (during Deicide, I believe).  He continued for the kid, so he could tell the rest of the story he wanted to tell in Bleach's world.  The kid's story acted as motivation for Kubo to keep drawing and writing the series.  He ended it now because he was so sick he could no longer keep working making the series.

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/18/bleach-creator-reveals-emotional-story-about-the-mangas-end/

This story struck a chord with me, not out of the emotional turmoil born from the ending, but that it took a fan's dying request to get him to commit to ending the manga. Just lets it languish to the point where it takes a young fan's death just for him to get serious about ending the manga.

Another thing it makes me think of is how the ending would've worked more if it happened after Hueco Mundo and the Fake Karakura arc. It was right after a major battle where the main characters were still relevant to the story enough for it to be rewarding to know that they have a happier future in store (hell, even Tatsuki and Keigo had a role to play by the end of that arc). By the time the actual ending neared, most of the characters were irrelevant and inconsequential to the story, and there is no reason to care about how anyone ended up aside from how much Kubo was inspired by Naruto's ending to cap it off on a "where are they at" conclusion for the characters that he forgot about years ago. Not to mention that the kid would've been able to see the actual ending of Bleach without having to pass away with the hope that he got the message to show the world what he was denied from as a result of dilly dallying for 5 years.

Do you not know how to read?  He continued the series because of the kid.  He was going to end it after Aizen originally, due to his illness.  Perhaps you did not understand correctly, but Kubo read that letter from the kid years ago, around the time of the tenth anniversary, which is when he almost wanted to quit from being so sick.  The series ended the way it did now, due to Kubo being too sick to keep working as a mangaka.  At least for now.  Kubo's will was there, but his body wasn't able.  So he was forced to end it now the way he did, unfortunate as things did turn out, for the sake of his own health.

There was no dilly dallying, either.  Sad that you can't even interpret things correctly (the story about the sick kid) and still make false accusations and incorrect criticism against Kubo even now.  None of that other bullshit you said was right, either.  Not even going to address it.  You've got me so angry it's all I can do to contain my rage and not go ballistic.  I'm going to have to log out now.

Do you not know how to read?  He continued the series because of the kid.  He was going to end it after Aizen originally, due to his illness.  Perhaps you did not understand correctly, but Kubo read that letter from the kid years ago, around the time of the tenth anniversary, which is when he almost wanted to quit from being so sick.  The series ended the way it did now, due to Kubo being too sick to keep working as a mangaka.  At least for now.  Kubo's will was there, but his body wasn't able.  So he was forced to end it now the way he did, unfortunate as things did turn out, for the sake of his own health.

Maybe if he had ended it/put it on hiatus there, and taken on a less strenuous job/project, his health may not have deteriorated to the point where he was forced to quit like he did.

And Bleach could come back via America, a la Big O, FLCL, etc.  The Trigun movie happened because of America, not Japan.  And Watanabe isn't even that big of a deal in Japan... Space Dandy on Toonami came about due to Watanabe's urging, not Demarco begging and pleading at the Altar of Watanabe.  So yes, America matters when it comes to anime, a lot more than you think.

Is there really enough interest in the US to have a full-scale Bleach anime return?  I mean, a short series like FLCL or Big O, or a movie like Badlands Rumble is one thing, but if Bleach were to return you'd have to commit to it for a while, and I really don't think fan interest in the US is high enough for that to happen.

Ok, so 10 years into his manga would be around where Aizen is first defeated. How is that any better? Actually, it's much worse. It's like saying that the real reason George Lucas made the Star Wars prequels after being so burnt out from making Star Wars movies was because of a young fan's dying wish for Lucas tell the world the story of Darth Vader how he wanted it. I guess it's good for the kid that didn't have to read Xcution onwards and find that his wish ended up resulting in Bleach's long self destruction, but now that kid's legacy is inspiring Kubo to drag out the manga into stagnation while Kubo still had the perfect way out while still retaining his health and dignity.

Like others have said, just finish the manga when Aizen's butterfly ass got kebobed and put the ending he wanted with the Kurosaki family wrestling match party right there so that he'd be able to spend the rest of his days chilling out with royalty money, working towards improving his health, and be able to actually see the last chapter animated. Now look where we're at. Incomplete anime ending, manga got rushed at the end cause even his bosses were starting to lose patience combined with his deteriorating health, and the ending that Kubo wanted was apparently what Kishimoto accomplished a couple years ago, except by forgetting a ton of characters in Kubo fashion during the one time you'd think he'd revisit everyone in the "Where are they now?" chapters.

I did say the prequels though. And when I said the story of Darth Vader how he wanted, I meant his childhood story of how he became Vader. I'm saying like around the late 80;s/mid-90's, let's say he was completely burnt out, but motivated himself to get back to work on a prequel trilogy because a Make a Wish request to know about how Vader became Vader like George had envisioned it. That's what I'm saying.

Is there really enough interest in the US to have a full-scale Bleach anime return?  I mean, a short series like FLCL or Big O, or a movie like Badlands Rumble is one thing, but if Bleach were to return you'd have to commit to it for a while, and I really don't think fan interest in the US is high enough for that to happen.

Fan interest is high enough.  The DVDs continue to sell.  Blu-Rays are being sold.  You saw the ratings it was getting right up to its ending on Toonami.  Demarco himself said that if they were still making Bleach, they'd still be airing it.  Adult Swim probably doesn't have the resources or the pull to co-produce/co-fund a Bleach return, though, and they'd probably be the only ones to do it.  It's an unfortunate fact that the Bleach anime was seemingly cancelled in Japan due to low ratings, though we were never given an official reason.  Apparently people just couldn't deal with the filler.  Why they put up with even worse filler with Naruto (or the shitty direction its canon story goes in), I'll never know.  So, it may be a difficult thing to pull off without some sort of push on the Japan side.  I'm guessing the final salute to Kubo was this live action movie, since they probably couldn't get the anime going again.

Also, there's apparently going to be extra pages for the last chapter in the upcoming data book, so I'm looking forward to that.

Maybe if he had ended it/put it on hiatus there, and taken on a less strenuous job/project, his health may not have deteriorated to the point where he was forced to quit like he did.

Not sure if he could do that.  I mean, other mangas have gone on hiatus, but who knows if there would be a spot waiting for Kubo when he got back?  Until the labor laws in Japan are changed and the manga industry changes how it does things, there may have been no way around this.  Kubo did take some breaks, though.  And he was hospitalized on more than one occasion, I believe.  I'm guessing it was more serious than we thought.  He didn't simply "get sick" those times.  He was sick the whole time.  Not good.  Of course, the reason for one break was given "to research past chapters and prepare for the final battle."  I'm sure Kubo did do that but he probably took a load off during that break, as well.

Ok, so 10 years into his manga would be around where Aizen is first defeated. How is that any better? Actually, it's much worse. It's like saying that the real reason George Lucas made the Star Wars prequels after being so burnt out from making Star Wars movies was because of a young fan's dying wish for Lucas tell the world the story of Darth Vader how he wanted it. I guess it's good for the kid that didn't have to read Xcution onwards and find that his wish ended up resulting in Bleach's long self destruction, but now that kid's legacy is inspiring Kubo to drag out the manga into stagnation while Kubo still had the perfect way out while still retaining his health and dignity.

Like others have said, just finish the manga when Aizen's butterfly ass got kebobed and put the ending he wanted with the Kurosaki family wrestling match party right there so that he'd be able to spend the rest of his days chilling out with royalty money, working towards improving his health, and be able to actually see the last chapter animated. Now look where we're at. Incomplete anime ending, manga got rushed at the end cause even his bosses were starting to lose patience combined with his deteriorating health, and the ending that Kubo wanted was apparently what Kishimoto accomplished a couple years ago, except by forgetting a ton of characters in Kubo fashion during the one time you'd think he'd revisit everyone in the "Where are they now?" chapters.

Actually George Lucas got upset at criticism of the prequels and ragequit after that, saying "Star Wars is dead."  So without Disney, there'd no more Star Wars.  And I wouldn't call what we got afterwards "Bleach's long self-destruction."

But you end it there and so much is left unfinished and untold.  Soul King, Squad Zero, backstories, Bankai reveals... we got a lot of stuff in the Final Arc, and while we didn't get everything we were hoping to see, we got a lot.  So I'm thankful for what we did get and I'm glad it didn't end with Aizen's defeat, since the story was not over with yet.  I didn't entirely like the ending, namely the fact that the way Kubo put people together was as arbitrary as placing action figures beside each other, since Kubo had his anti-romance stance for the whole manga, none of this was built up and apparently these people hooked up during a timeskip.  So, I would've preferred no couples shown at the end, and I sure as hell did not want the pairings that did happen, because -

Ichigo and Rukia's relationship was built up for the entire story.  Hell, at one point, they were finishing each other's thoughts.  They had a great dynamic and chemistry.  Orihime even admitted to being jealous of Rukia, with how she could so easily snap Ichigo out of his funk, and she could do nothing.  What's more, Ichigo's feelings for Orihime come out of nowhere.  Only Orihime's feelings for Ichigo were established.  The least I can say is Rukia and Renji becoming a couple doesn't come out of nowhere, but it's hard not to see them as just childhood friends, bros, what have you.  But, at least that one made sense, to an extent.  But, I again, say, that Kubo shouldn't have done that, if he was only going to build them up (BARELY) during some of the last parts of the final arc.  Keep in mind, though, none of these characters so much as held hands before this!  Next we see, they've had kids!  Blah!  Anyway.

Oh yeah, I think it would've been better for Bach to just fall after Kyoka Suigetsu was used, since that was a clever enough solution, one that was in "plain sight", if you will, and it was built up with a previous scene.  The arrow thing was built up to an extent, with the scene of Ryuken fishing around in his wife's corpse, and it made for some poetic justice, with the same silver that formed from Bach killing and/or draining the power from other Quincies being used to do the same to him, but I think it could've been established a bit better.

I don't think Kubo forgot characters.  He had a limited number of chapters and pages remaining, so he prioritized.  That's why we didn't get to see everybody.  It made sense to focus on Ichigo and his friends, "the main group", with the final chapter.  Only so many people he can show, after all.

Though why the fuck Isshin and Ryuken didn't appear, I'll never know.  Also, we still don't know if Urahara, Yoruichi, Nel, Grimmjow, and Yushiro are alive or dead!  HONESTLY KUBO!

Hopefully, the extra pages and maybe some short stories in the upcoming data book can clear up some of this.  Wouldn't mind Kubo just dumping some of his notes, either.

I did say the prequels though. And when I said the story of Darth Vader how he wanted, I meant his childhood story of how he became Vader. I'm saying like around the late 80;s/mid-90's, let's say he was completely burnt out, but motivated himself to get back to work on a prequel trilogy because a Make a Wish request to know about how Vader became Vader like George had envisioned it. That's what I'm saying.

But Lucas always said he only waited to make the prequels for as long as he did because he was waiting for the technology to catch up so he could create the story he wanted to tell.  This is also why he says the original movies were abandoned abominations that needed the special edition crap in them.  I mean, I get your analogy, I guess, but it doesn't really work for me since, I, uhh, like the prequels.

Ichigo and Rukia's relationship was built up for the entire story.  Hell, at one point, they were finishing each other's thoughts.  They had a great dynamic and chemistry.  Orihime even admitted to being jealous of Rukia, with how she could so easily snap Ichigo out of his funk, and she could do nothing.  What's more, Ichigo's feelings for Orihime come out of nowhere.  Only Orihime's feelings for Ichigo were established.  The least I can say is Rukia and Renji becoming a couple doesn't come out of nowhere, but it's hard not to see them as just childhood friends, bros, what have you.  But, at least that one made sense, to an extent.  But, I again, say, that Kubo shouldn't have done that, if he was only going to build them up (BARELY) during some of the last parts of the final arc.  Keep in mind, though, none of these characters so much as held hands before this!  Next we see, they've had kids!  Blah!  Anyway.

Maybe Orihime used her god-like powers to make her OTPs come true.

Well we do have some "real" pizza places but they're few and far between and not usually easy to get to, and usually expensive.  And one of them has gone out of business in the past few years.  But yeah, Pizza Hut can continue to burn in hell for all I care.  Especially since Little Caesar's has a Deep Deep Dish Pepperoni-Wrapped Stuffed Crust Pizza now!  FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOU PIZZA HUT!