UnevenEdge

Toonami Shows Ending in Early 2020

OwlChemist81

I'm making this thread to discuss the openings in Toonami's schedule that are coming up in early 2020, and what might be replacing them:

• Lupin III Part 5 (Ended 12/7/19) - This is the lowest of the low-hanging-fruit. It already ended a 3:30 AM premiere run that it got demoted to, and got already replaced in part by a 3 AM Lupin OVA, but speaking long-term I really don't think it's going to be replaced by a premiere. This would be a good timeslot for One Punch Man Season 2 reruns, but there's a problem--it will have 2 episodes left in premieres on 1/4 when this timeslot's occupant is needed. A good candidate would probably be reruns of gen:LOCK, this time uncut, since airing the first and last episodes with a 45-minute runtime would only displace AOT reruns, and that's fine. But if Toonami is completely insane, this might be a good timeslot for something older and really niche, but really really good, like Star Blazers 2199/2202. Of course, Toonami COULD take the low road and just contract back to ending at 4 AM, but I doubt they'll do that. If they do, I guess [as] might as well rerun Primal in the 4 AM timeslot...
  • One Punch Man Season 2 (Ending 1/11/20) - The other piece of low-hanging fruit is much higher, in fact led-into by current flagship show MHA. It would be really insane, but oddly enough not THAT farfetched, since it would keep the Superhero Power Hour alive, for Toonami to dive back into DC animation for the first time in over 5 years with hilariously-edited episodes of Harley Quinn, but I think the most likely candidate show for this timeslot is fellow ONE creation Mob Psycho 100 Season 2. This would also be a great slot for a simuldub of a brand-new Winter show.
  • Fire Force (Ending 2/1/20) - There are several directions Toonami could go with replacing this fiery 12:30 AM show. Perhaps some other shows move up and open a slot for something classic like Star Blazers 2199/2202 further down the lineup? Is this JoJo's opportunity to get out of the graveyard? What about Black Clover? Or Demon Slayer? Will SAO Alicization: War Of Underworld be ready yet? Or, maybe something new and hot (no pun intended) from FUNimation if it wasn't ready when OPMS2 ended?
  • Dr. Stone Season 1 (Ending 2/22/20) - It was just announced on Twitter today that Dr. Stone will be taking a break after Episode 24 premieres this Friday, so there's an open midnight timeslot right here. Maybe this is where SAOAWOU goes, or maybe the 12:30 show that is hot and new pulls a reverse Fire Force and moves up to midnight, but since SAOA moved UP ot Midnight prior to its conclusion, I doubt that's what will happen.
  • Demon Slayer (Ending April/May 2020) - I can't even begin to speculate on what will take this show's place. Promised Neverland Season 2 maybe? Is that even coming this winter? Who knows? SAOAWOU is an obvious pick if it's not airing already and took that long to ready the dub, but otherwise, who knows?

I don't even know what's next after that. JoJo maybe? I'd say that depends on the length of the replacements of the aforementioned 5 shows though. But it is clear that after being relatively stable for 3 months, Toonami's regular lineup is once again about to go through a period of great volatility for the next 2 months or so. Hopefully it can keep up its mostly positive ratings momentum!

• Confused 1

There’s kind of no telling what Toonami will pick up in early 2020. There aren’t exactly any obvious picks in the upcoming Winter season. I strongly suspect Mob will replace Saitama but as for the rest of the shows, there’s really no telling what they will air.

Boruto could be back sooner than later.

SAO Alicization season 2 is taking a break and finishing in Spring. They may run the first half in February or wait until they’ll be able to air the whole season without a break.

I have no idea when Neverland’s second season will air but it doesn’t seem to be Winter.

Its rather exciting to not have many obvious choices. Toonami could try some interesting things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I still want to see Star Blazers/Yamato on a bigger platform than FUNiNow be it Toonami or Netflix.  It is the space opera remake America deserves (yeah fuck you Voltron).  And considering a Part III is coming out, there’s a lot of episodes if they go that route.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jman said:

I still want to see Star Blazers/Yamato on a bigger platform than FUNiNow be it Toonami or Netflix.  It is the space opera remake America deserves (yeah fuck you Voltron).  And considering a Part III is coming out, there’s a lot of episodes if they go that route.

What little I've seen at my old Anime club was subtitled, but that show is QUALITY!!! Like, THEATRICAL quality. It would be a worthy addition to Toonami for over a year!

That said, I'm not sure I want it at 3:30 AM...