UnevenEdge

Share your sick new anime with me

High Ground

Yeah, pretty much a thread where yall give me recommendations.

I'm pretty behind when it comes to new anime, I honestly only watch maybe 1 or 2 new series a year, and mainly just rewatch series that I've seen before.

As for series I'm acquainted with already (keeping it at those that came out in the 2010's), I have no interest in Black Clover, I watched the first few episodes, and like most will say it pretty much follows every shonen anime cliche there is. I've watched most of Kekkai Sensen but have no real interest in it. Seen and read all of Blue Exorcist, seen all of the new Boogiepop series, seen all of Darling in the Franxx / Kill la Kill / little witch academia. I think I heard that studio has another series called ssss.gridman, anyone know if that's a good one? I've seen most of DB Super, waiting for blu-ray releases to be released online so I can finish it up. I really like the Fate/ series (only ones like Zero/UBW and to some extent Apocrypha, the majority of that series is cringy otaku filth, am waiting for the heaven's feel movies to be done before I watch those. Am following the new fruits basket series. Seen all current MHA episodes and chapters. Also steins;gate 0 and violet evergarden. I've also seen one punch man season 1, haven't gotten around to season 2 yet, but heard it wasn't that good. I have no interest in the Naruto/Boruto series, and no interest whatsoever in One Piece.

I'm also open to anime movie recommendations.

canon busters on netflix is pretty rad dude.

if u dont mind the wierd af artstyle devilman crybaby is also on netflix and the soundtrack is lit af.

i also enjoy more slice of life and comedies like my roomate is a cat (warning the feels will hit u hard sometimes) and chios school road. the disasterous life of saiki k is pretty lolz. 

currently airing im enjoying how heavy are your dumbells and given (given is BL but honestly its a pretty good anime) o maidens seems pretty good too so far.

if you liked the old fruits basket u might wanna check out the remake.

if u dont mind the wierd af artstyle devilman crybaby is also on netflix and the soundtrack is lit af.

i also enjoy more slice of life and comedies like my roomate is a cat (warning the feels will hit u hard sometimes) and chios school road. the disasterous life of saiki k is pretty lolz. 

currently airing im enjoying how heavy are your dumbells and given (given is BL but honestly its a pretty good anime) o maidens seems pretty good too so far.

13 hours ago, Cidz said:

might look into cannon busters at some point.

I am following the new fruits basket series

I think it would be a little more useful to recommend you stuff it you specified what you liked more than what you didn't or what you've just seen.

Since you seemed to enjoy the Fate series I'd recommend the Kara no Kyoukai film series, it's in the same universe as Fate, follows similar rules to it's magic, has a similar tone and I think it's better than any of the Fate adaptations other than Fate/Zero.

2 hours ago, scope said:

I think it would be a little more useful to recommend you stuff it you specified what you liked more than what you didn't or what you've just seen.

Since you seemed to enjoy the Fate series I'd recommend the Kara no Kyoukai film series, it's in the same universe as Fate, follows similar rules to it's magic, has a similar tone and I think it's better than any of the Fate adaptations other than Fate/Zero.

Perhaps, though I figured people would have used the ones I've mentioned as an idea of what I'd probably be into.

Kara no Kyoukai is one I've been meaning to look into, but forgot about it.

I started watching twin star exorcists recently, I've only seen the first few episodes but it seems decent so far.

37 minutes ago, Hello There said:

Perhaps, though I figured people would have used the ones I've mentioned as an idea of what I'd probably be into.

Kara no Kyoukai is one I've been meaning to look into, but forgot about it.

I started watching twin star exorcists recently, I've only seen the first few episodes but it seems decent so far.

Well if you like Trigger's stuff (Darling in the Franxxx/SSSS Gridman) I highly recommend you check out Gainax works if you haven't seen them since that's the studio Trigger spawned from. Trigger has had some nice shows but I don't think they've quite reached the bar Gainax set with Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL 2000 and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

9 minutes ago, scope said:

Well if you like Trigger's stuff (Darling in the Franxxx/SSSS Gridman) I highly recommend you check out Gainax works if you haven't seen them since that's the studio Trigger spawned from. Trigger has had some nice shows but I don't think they've quite reached the bar Gainax set with Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL 2000 and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

NGE has been on my to do list for a good while, but it's another case where I've never gotten around to watching it. I've seen the old FLCL and never cared for it really. Not saying it's bad or anything, but I think it blew up to be a bigger thing than it should have been. at some point I'd probably give its new series a shot to see what AS did with the series.

TTGL is love

1 minute ago, Hello There said:

NGE has been on my to do list for a good while, but it's another case where I've never gotten around to watching it. I've seen the old FLCL and never cared for it really. Not saying it's bad or anything, but I think it blew up to be a bigger thing than it should have been. at some point I'd probably give its new series a shot to see what AS did with the series.

TTGL is love

Yeah mileage with FLCL varies since so much of it is open to interpretation, I think it's fantastic but it's not for everyone.

Definitely check out NGE when you get the chance, it's influenced all of these modern mecha/sci-fi works and just anime in general, but without getting too much into it because spoilers, watch it when you feel like you want to tackle some pretty heavy themes

24 minutes ago, scope said:

Yeah mileage with FLCL varies since so much of it is open to interpretation, I think it's fantastic but it's not for everyone.

Definitely check out NGE when you get the chance, it's influenced all of these modern mecha/sci-fi works and just anime in general, but without getting too much into it because spoilers, watch it when you feel like you want to tackle some pretty heavy themes

Would it be worthwhile to watch the movie versions they released or do I need to go through the actual series? Not that I'm opposed to watching the series, but it'd be less time invested seeing it with the movies than watching a 26 episode series.

1 hour ago, elfie said:

Another wildly different GAINAX anime is Panty and Stocking. That's more for whenever you're feeling raunchy, given what the title is.

I've seen it a few times, it's funny and all, but considering the three main characters are voiced by my least favorite people in the industry right now, I'll pass on it.

• Like 1

Since you seem to have an interest in mecha, I really think you'd enjoy Planet With.  Read the synopsis and watch it.  I can't explain it, it's so weird.  But every piece of weirdness has a purpose and locks into place in one of the most tightly written and executed series I've ever seen.

Vinland Saga is pretty good.  I'm not quite as crazy about it yet as I'd expected to be, but it's early in the story.

Hisone and Masotan is pretty great.  Goofy dragon mecha for the win!

See also my recs in moonmaster3's thread.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hello There said:

Would it be worthwhile to watch the movie versions they released or do I need to go through the actual series? Not that I'm opposed to watching the series, but it'd be less time invested seeing it with the movies than watching a 26 episode series.

No I don't recommend that since the rebuild movies tell a different story and offer little in terms of depth compared to the original series, the original series followed by the movie "End of Evangelion" is the best watch order imo

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2019 at 7:09 PM, elfie said:

On 9/7/2019 at 8:15 PM, Gina Szanboti said:

23 hours ago, scope said:

So like, is that Roosterteeth show RWBY any good? Seems like something that became a pretty big deal, although I've seen some people say it used to be pretty good but went to shit or something