UnevenEdge

Breaking sad news

Satou Kazuma

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

What do you want them to do, outlaw gasoline?

Change their building codes, and provide better mental health services. Therapists in Japan are few in number and not very good, which isn't helping their widespread problem of mental health cases. I'm actually amazed they don't get as many domestic attacks than they do.

5 hours ago, elfie said:

Change their building codes, and provide better mental health services. Therapists in Japan are few in number and not very good, which isn't helping their widespread problem of mental health cases. I'm actually amazed they don't get as many domestic attacks than they do.

The building codes are the issue. There is clearly a fire escape on the 3rd floor which leads to the roof, yet no one made it out. 

I wasn't aware Japan had a mental health problem is this true? Obviously there is one here... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

What do you want them to do, outlaw gasoline?

**rei ayanami voice emanating from speaker above gas pump**

-The sale of gasoline will be prohibited to any individuals with murderous intent-

-have a nice day-

Edited by Shiina
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shiina said:

**rei ayanami voice emanating from speaker above gas pump**

-The sale of gasoline will be prohibited to any individuals with murderous intent-

-have a nice day-

Animeland.  I wanna see a tour de force of anime animation that's a massive crossover.

Japan's mental health problems seem from after the second World War when they deemed it too expensive to treat all patients, and because their standards for the ideal lifestyle is so strict and expensive to the point where youths feel they can never meet them. It's why you see so much media use the topic of the hikikomori, or their term for a shut-in who has given up on a social life.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/03/03/national/media-national/japans-media-step-mental-health-issues/#.XXgSoCV7kyk

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

Ok, I'll agree with the building codes thing.  There should be two exits from every room, not blocked by stuff.  That wouldn't even be that expensive of a retrofit.

Mental health services is much more difficult.  You can't force people to become therapists, and it would take time to educate even those who want to enter the field.  But that's a cultural shift of huge proportions, and even the US, with our high per capita number of therapists and psychiatrists, do a lousy job of it.  It's taken a few generations of PSAs just to reduce the stigma around mental illness here, and yet it's still stigmatized and undertreated.  And there's also the cultural conflation of violence with mental illness.  We assume mentally ill people are violent, and that their violence is caused by mental illness.  There is an intersection of the two in some individuals, but mentally ill people are not usually predisposed to violence any more than anyone else, and being violent can simply mean you're a hateful bastard.  You don't need to be sick to be a cruel asshole.  You can also be mentally ill without that illness being the cause of your being a violent asshole.  It's complicated, and we're far from recognizing that across society.

• Like 3

japan_fire_main_1_190718_hpMain_20190718

Assuming this is the correct photo....   The roof is intact, and there are plenty of windows to jump from. Didn't the fire department put ladders and trapolines? 

The windows on the first floor are easy to jump from. The sprinkler system? Fire alarms?  Security guards? Is there only ONE door on the first floor? 

I remember the security was shut down that day because they were expecting the press to visit. No locks. No fire alarm.

Yes there is only one door on the first floor.

The roof was mostly untouched but again, they couldn't access the outside. There was a spiral staircase in the middle which acted as a sort of chimney for the smoke to immediately enter, which accelerated the fires. Plus, the interior was made mainly out of wood, because they wanted the studio to have a traditional Japanese design, not realizing that wood goes toward fire like a moth to a light.

And guess what. All this was up to code. They had a test from officials days prior to the attack.

Edited by elfie
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Kyoani didn't create Haruhi, they just adapted it. Meaning yes, the original author's still alive, as far as I know.

Kyoani animated Haruhi back when they were still getting sources from third parties and they had no annual contest. It was key production members who worked on the Haruhi anime who died in teh fire.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...