UnevenEdge

i am posting this here because i need feedback

midnight

super smash bros. is hard as hell. 

Am I supposed to just smash the buttons like I'm playing Mortal Kombat, and hope something lands?

Because we have been getting our asses handed to us. 

And I'm guessing you have to progress through the game to unlock everyone?

I am starting to think I'm too old to play games anymore.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I don't think it's that hard but I have played every game in the series. Some of those spirit fights are BS though. lol I'm no pro though, I get destroyed online.

I haven't played Captain Toad but have thought about getting it.

I'm not the biggest Mario fan, but my son loves the games. He is not too bad at Smash Bros. But I think he got a little bored with Toad. But he just got a new DS, so he's kinds playing that now more than the Switch.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

Did you get Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS yet? Definitely one of the best games on it for a big Mario fan. There is also Mario Maker but probably better off waiting a few months for 2 on Switch.

Yes. He has Super Mario 3D land. He loves it. He also has New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Luigi's Mansion on the DS. He has Super Mario Odyssey and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe on the Switch. He has beaten Odyssey several times, and he beat Super Mario U. He's only 5, and he's running through these games. Yeah, he is going to want Mario Maker. He's already seen the video for it on the video section on his Switch.

1 minute ago, Muskette said:

It depends on your character’s abilities and fighting style. It’s easier if you use the analog.

He likes using Peach and Mario.

When I tried it, I used Donkey Kong and Mario. 

We kind of just jumped into it, and didn't really pay attention to the fighting styles. I know I should have, but he was anxious to play it.

But with all the background designs, it can get distracting. The places you can fight in are amazing though. I loved the one from Nintendogs + cats? There's so much stuff going on, I kinda lose track of the actual fight. 

We still haven't unlocked anyone yet. I don't think. There's a few characters I am unfamiliar with. Never heard of.

1 minute ago, 🍬Candy🍬 said:

Its stupid. I just hit the bottom two buttons and fight like that. Once i figured that out i kept winning

I think even the trigger buttons do shit too. i don't know. I smashed everything on the controller trying to do something. Sometimes, I will fall off the edge of the screen and it'll say GAME. Wtf? 

I'm glad my boy likes it. I'd be pissed if I bought it for myself.

That fucker from Metroid keeps kicking my ass. 

Just now, midnight said:

I think even the trigger buttons do shit too. i don't know. I smashed everything on the controller trying to do something. Sometimes, I will fall off the edge of the screen and it'll say GAME. Wtf? 

I'm glad my boy likes it. I'd be pissed if I bought it for myself.

That fucker from Metroid keeps kicking my ass. 

Youre supposed to jump back up when youre about to go over and get back on the platform.

Yah the top buttons do shit too i guess but im not sure yet. Im kicking ass with them bottom two buttons lol

Just now, 🍬Candy🍬 said:

Youre supposed to jump back up when youre about to go over and get back on the platform.

Yah the top buttons do shit too i guess but im not sure yet. Im kicking ass with them bottom two buttons lol

Yeah. I finally figured out how to get back up, but initially, I didn't know you could fall off. 

I get sucked into watching the backgrounds. I like the different locations. I'll forget I'm fighting as I'm watching the puppy walk around the room, on screen.

Just now, midnight said:

Yeah. I finally figured out how to get back up, but initially, I didn't know you could fall off. 

I get sucked into watching the backgrounds. I like the different locations. I'll forget I'm fighting as I'm watching the puppy walk around the room, on screen.

Yah i love the interactive background. The one thats two layers with the dragon (whose name madison knew) is my fav do far. especially cuz he kept messing madison up and made it easier for me lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 🍬Candy🍬 said:

I bought the wired one

When I got ours, the wired ones were sold out, and I actually got the last wireless one.

It's cool though, because the TV is too far away from the chair or the bed, so the wireless one works out better for us. We use it as a console and not a hand held. I'm not gonna let the boy have it as a hand held yet. I don't want him to drop a $300 game and shatter it. 

4 minutes ago, midnight said:

When I got ours, the wired ones were sold out, and I actually got the last wireless one.

It's cool though, because the TV is too far away from the chair or the bed, so the wireless one works out better for us. We use it as a console and not a hand held. I'm not gonna let the boy have it as a hand held yet. I don't want him to drop a $300 game and shatter it. 

Its connect buy usb and you can get some pretty long ass usb cords but ok

think of the game this way:

what makes it so simple at its core is that there are only two 'attack' buttons, A and B. the A button does normal attacks (punching, kicking, sword slashes etc.) and the B button does that character's special attacks. rather than learn complicated combos or whatever, the attacks are based on what direction you are pushing the joystick (up, down, side, neutral). 

go into the training mode with mario for a couple minutes before your son whoops you again and just feel that out without the time pressure of a real round. you'll see he's got four distinct special B attacks based on which direction you're pushing the stick, and he does different punches/kicks with the A button based on the stick's direction. once that scheme clicks in your head, realize that every character has the same control scheme but tailored to them.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

think of the game this way:

what makes it so simple at its core is that there are only two 'attack' buttons, A and B. the A button does normal attacks (punching, kicking, sword slashes etc.) and the B button does that character's special attacks. rather than learn complicated combos or whatever, the attacks are based on what direction you are pushing the joystick (up, down, side, neutral). 

go into the training mode with mario for a couple minutes before your son whoops you again and just feel that out without the time pressure of a real round. you'll see he's got four distinct special B attacks based on which direction you're pushing the stick, and he does different punches/kicks with the A button based on the stick's direction. once that scheme clicks in your head, realize that every character has the same control scheme but tailored to them.

Gotcha. Thanks.

I played it twice I think. After losing each time, I said nah. I was just hitting all the buttons. That's kind of how I play Mortal Kombat. But with that, I'd luck up and hit the right buttons some times. I want to be able to unlock everyone, so we can have the full experience. I will not be trying it online anytime soon.

7 minutes ago, Admin_Raptorpat said:

as a casual fighting game, it's def really simple to figure out the basics. just gotta play as someone simple like mario until it clicks.

there's a lot of depth to it, but it's all built on deceptively simple mechanics.

Once I get the hang of it, Samus has pay back coming.