UnevenEdge

Mob Psycho 100 Season 2 to have Crunchyroll & FUNimation Simul-dub

OwlChemist81

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-12-27/crunchyroll-funimation-to-stream-mob-psycho-100-ii-english-dub-morose-mononokean-ii-anime/.141381

There is no doubt in my mind that Toonami will get Season 2 directly after Season 1 now, but the question is: will it be a dub premiere on Toonami?

It's also really cool that this is the first time this has ever happened with a older show's Toonami premiere being directly followed by a simul-dub, but I doubt it will be the last. For instance I'll bet MHA Season 4 will directly follow Season 3. The October time frame for it is just too auspicious, as Season 3 should be wrapping up on Toonami around then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

For instance I'll bet MHA Season 4 will directly follow Season 3. The October time frame for it is just too auspicious, as Season 3 should be wrapping up on Toonami around then.

No it won't. Assuming they run marathons for Memorial Day and July 4th, season 3 will end on the last week of August. Even if it starts up at the beginning of October, that's still a solid month at least without the show premiering. Even if they do an early Labor Day marathon at the end of August to push it into September, that still brings them at least a month short.

1 hour ago, elfie said:

It depends on if the show is cheap enough and if DeMarco thinks it’s worth following up on it that soon.  Because it’s a new season I don’t think it will be cheap to get.

If you're talking about Mob Psycho, it's quite possible they already made a deal for it in 2018. But MHA being in FY 2019-20, that's a lot less certain.

I guess it's possible we MIGHT see movies/other specials return to push it up. But a hiatus between Season 3 and Season 4 a la the one between JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Parts 2 and 3 is probably most likely.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Daos said:

Hows that simuldub comin?

According to the director of the first season dub, season 2's dub doesn't exist yet. He may not be speaking totally transparently though.

Shield Hero's dub finally surfaced and is now up to date with the Japanese broadcast. Curiously it has not been added to FUNimation's service. Perhaps Crunchyroll was waiting until they would no longer be under obligation to share the series with FUNimation. Likewise, Mob season 2 might not end up on FUNimation's service any time soon, if ever.

As things stand now it's about equally likely for Mob season 2 to premiere on Toonami when MegaloBox finishes or for it to show up on Crunchyroll any given week. And the fact that the Japanese side thought the Reigan OVA was going to air on Toonami the week after season 1 ended has me thinking that Toonami has definitely secured beyond the first season. Maybe it's just the OVA for now and that would actually be a dub premiere because it's not streaming dubbed anywhere yet, but it seems just as likely that they will get season 2 once it's ready or once they have another opening.

It's entirely possible that they intended to show the Reigan OVA and then go into season 2 but the dub for season 2 wasn't ready yet so delayed it's arrival until MegaloBox wraps up in March.

• Like 1

But the Reigen OVA would be hilariously disruptive because it's at least as long as 2, maybe 3 episodes!

How in the hell would Toonami even DO that!?

Then again, they DID air that hour special of SAO 3 so I guess it's probable. I suppose it's best if Toonami gives their viewers the courtesy of airing the OVA if something in Season 2 doesn't make much sense without it...

So, I guess that week it would just pre-empt whatever's in front of it. I guess no harm would be done in the long run if that was SAO, JoJo, Black Clover, or Hunter x Hunter...

Edited by OwlChemist81