UnevenEdge

Here's Another Anime Adult Swim Overlooked Years Ago

PurgatoryGirl

Too bad the Anime Wednesday block only lasted all of 3 weeks on Chiller TV, 3 years ago. As of last year, the network ceased. The lack of advertising for Chiller's Anime Wednesday, didn't help.

Also, had Devil May Cry or Tokyo Majin started the block rather than Is This A Zombie?, and had Chiller been a part of both cable and satellite packages, more viewers could've watched the block.

Tokyo Majin's not a bad series. When Adult Swim aired more Anime years ago, Tokyo Majin could've actually been a part of the network's lineup.

Is this a Zombie is a way better anime than those two. It just didn't have any business being on a "Horror" network.

If I recall correctly Chiller wasn't even in HD? Every time I turned on the channel I was like.... why is everything all blurry....

Not surprised they're Kaput.

• Thanks 1

I recorded all three weeks of Chiller Ani-Wednesdays on the CRT TV in my living room, so I didn't mind the non-HD status.

While Tokyo Majin and Devil May Cry had decent starts, and Black Blood Brothers improved about three episodes in, it was ultimately Is This a Zombie? that I wound up enjoying the most and eventually finishing on my own.

I heard this show is fairly good.  It didn't help that Chiller wasn't in HD so everything was airing in 540 px high, and they left the on-screen text and credits untranslated and pushed the credits intp the sides of the screen. THE BAREST effort possible.

Edited by elfie

Personally, I liked every show on Chiller TV's Anime Wednesday block, which was something I could never say about Toonami. However, Is This A Zombie? did not fit the branding for a Horror Anime block.

You can thank NBC Universal for Chiller TV's programming and the lack of viewership. Chiller was extremely niche and had highly syndicated programing in general. It would've been much better, if Chiller TV was a premium channel like HBO, Starz, Encore, etc. Then, more viewers could've watched uncensored shows without commercial breaks.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl

3 hours ago, Blatch said:

Yeah... seemingly every time there's been an attempt to bring anime to American TV that isn't Toonami, it's a non-starter. At least Mnet America actually ran all of the first Love Live! series, albeit in the most quixotic manner possible.

The thing is it's extremely hard for most Americans to understand why anime is great, so they do a poor job when adapting it to the networks.  Oddly, it's Demarco, and Disney, who are the current leaders in doing this well for American television.

• Like 1

Most people dislike Anime for many reasons. The main reason being, that they believe cartoons are only meant for kids.

However, that doesn't stop those same people from bum rushing kids to go see the latest Disney film. It also doesn't help that they believe that every Anime comes from Toonami and that Toonami is an Anime genre.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl

1 hour ago, elfie said:

The thing is it's extremely hard for most Americans to understand why anime is great, so they do a poor job when adapting it to the networks.  Oddly, it's Demarco, and Disney, who are the current leaders in doing this well for American television.

Eh I wouldn't say they do it well. I'd say they've been pretty terrible at it most of the time with a few good moments here and there. Funimation considered the Funimation channel as being poorly run by Olympusat but honestly.... it was way better than Toonami. But then they had access to Funimation's entire library, so that's pretty hard to beat.

Chiller... I had no idea that anime block was even on the air until it was gone. Bad promotion there =P

1 minute ago, PokeNirvash said:

I saw a news article about it on Anime News Network, noticed my cable package had Chiller, and set to record it that very night. Worked out well on my end, apart from the TV feed cutting out for one minute of Black Blood Brothers.

Was your TV like, "........UUUuugh, GOD what is THIS??" :D

I can hardly believe no one has even mentioned Sci-Fi's Ani-Mondays. That 2-hour block aired relatively consistently from 11 PM-1 AM on Monday nights, began in June 2007, and lasted for over 3.5 years before moving to Tuesday nights to begin 2011, then switched randomly to Thursday nights in March, then finally aired at 1 AM for like a month before finally getting cancelled in June 2011. It was during the "dark" days that Toonami on CN got cancelled, and [as] stripped their anime offerings down to just 4 shows on Saturdays and 5:30 AM Inuyasha, that Sci-Fi Ani-Mondays hit arguably their highest point by acquiring Gurren Lagann! Other notable shows that aired on the block were Gundam 00 and Monster.

• Like 2