UnevenEdge

Sega Genesis Saturday

Kudasai

14 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i think those numbers were inflated due to the fact that a lot of people bought that system as a dvd player. 

still the system was excellent regardless. 

I think a lot of people bought a second one because the disc drive of their original fat PS2 stopped working also.

51 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

oh wow the n64 ruined 3d gaming for you?

did you hold the controller right? the controller is really bad if you hold it wrong. no, it will never control as tight as any good 2d game will but for 3d games i still think sm64 has to be one of the best controlling games i've ever felt. and a large part of that has to do with the controller. the ds remake felt like a step back to me because the controls werent as tight. 

i also remember going to a montgomery ward way back in the day and trying the system for the first time ever. the game had a much more different impression on me. it pretty much convinced me to ask mom and dad for the n64 over both the ps1 and saturn. 

I've never liked 3D gaming.  Yeah I was probably holding the controller wrong but I like I said, it was too hard for me.

I only like the DS and 3DS since the controls are about the same as the NES and SNES.

If Nintendo doesn't make a new handheld system and when it stops making 3DS games, I'll only play the games I currently have

and buy used games.  Nintendo will be dead to me again like it was from 1996 until 2011.

Edit:  I'll also hate Mario 64 until the day I die.  It's the worst Mario game I ever played even though I only played it for 15 minutes.

Besides the controller being bad, Mario talking all the time is obnoxious and getting stars is too different from past Mario games.

I've heard some people hate Mario Sticker Star for being too different and I'm the same way with Mario 64.

Edited by blueraven1999

8 minutes ago, blueraven1999 said:

Besides the controller being bad, Mario talking all the time is obnoxious and getting stars is too different from past Mario games.

that was the other thing she said, that the sound effects were too much for her

it wasn't until the more linear 3D mario games (super mario galaxy) that I really made the connection that the stars are basically the 3D games' version of flagpoles because, at least with the later games, it was less an open world exploring experience than it was a guided linear challenge, like the old sidescrollers but in 3D. they went a step further in that regards when they made super mario 3D land on the 3DS, which was entirely made up of short, linear 2D inspired levels in a 3D environment, but with a fixed camera. it kind of bridges that gap between the classic sidescrolling and the 3D games.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Adminderaptorpat said:

that was the other thing she said, that the sound effects were too much for her

it wasn't until the more linear 3D mario games (super mario galaxy) that I really made the connection that the stars are basically the 3D games' version of flagpoles because, at least with the later games, it was less an open world exploring experience than it was a guided linear challenge, like the old sidescrollers but in 3D. they went a step further in that regards when they made super mario 3D land on the 3DS, which was entirely made up of short, linear 2D inspired levels in a 3D environment, but with a fixed camera. it kind of bridges that gap between the classic sidescrolling and the 3D games.

I have Super Mario 3D Land.  It was one of the first games I bought for the system along with Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros. 2

I'm still not sure what to think of it.  I only made it to the 6th world before getting a game over.  One of these days I'll go back to it but not anytime soon.

It was a good game but I Iiked New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Mario Kart 7 a lot more.

Edited by blueraven1999

18 minutes ago, blueraven1999 said:

I've never liked 3D gaming.  Yeah I was probably holding the controller wrong but I like I said, it was too hard for me.

I only like the DS and 3DS since the controls are about the same as the NES and SNES.

If Nintendo doesn't make a new handheld system and when it stops making 3DS games, I'll only play the games I currently have

and buy used games.  Nintendo will be dead to me again like it was from 1996 until 2011.

Edit:  I'll also hate Mario 64 until the day I die.  It's the worst Mario game I ever played even though I only played it for 15 minutes.

I've heard some people hate Mario Sticker Star for being too different and I'm the same way with Mario 64.

yeah if you hate 3d gaming then mario 64 will always suck to you. personally i would rank mario 64 up there with the best in the franchise. and i've played most of them. 

the switch is nintendo's new "handheld" system. the d pad on that is decent for many 2d games except for fighting games. of course the system itself isnt as portable as the previous handhelds, but it has a nice screen and feels good to play on. theres already plenty of nice 2d games on it too. i honestly dont see them releasing a direct successor to the 3ds. 

2 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

yeah if you hate 3d gaming then mario 64 will always suck to you. personally i would rank mario 64 up there with the best in the franchise. and i've played most of them. 

the switch is nintendo's new "handheld" system. the d pad on that is decent for many 2d games except for fighting games. of course the system itself isnt as portable as the previous handhelds, but it has a nice screen and feels good to play on. theres already plenty of nice 2d games on it too. i honestly dont see them releasing a direct successor to the 3ds. 

I know Nintendo considers the Switch a new handheld system but I don't. 

I don't think they'll be making any new handhelds either that's why they'll be dead to me as soon as they stop making 3DS games.

I'm still hoping that the next console after the Switch will do badly and that they'll start making new handhelds again.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ric said:

Hopefully the new Sega Genesis Classic announced will be as good and easy to hack as NES/SNES.

Most people are wary of the mini because ATGAMES is involved. But I did pick up the their last console and you can hack it but it's not as easy as the NES/SNES Classic