UnevenEdge

Feud

Mewn

tumblr_ojy9o2qJOb1tr6keco1_540.jpg

Another Ryan Murphy series >.> I'm excited about this one.

It just got a premiere date: March 5, 2017.

Synopsis: Based on the legendary rivalry between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford which began early on their careers, climaxed on the set of "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" and evolved into an Oscar vendetta.

Each season will be a different Hollywood tiff.

Jessica Lange plays Joan Crawford and Susan Sarandon plays Bette Davis.

• 4 weeks later...

To get you more in the mood, here are some famous quotes!

Joan:

“I love playing bitches. There’s a lot of bitch in every woman — a lot in every man.”

“[in The Women (1939)] Norma Shearer made me change my costume sixteen times because every one was prettier than hers. I love to play bitches, and she helped me in this part.”

“I never go outside unless I look like Joan Crawford the movie star. If you want to see the girl next door, go next door.”

“She has a cult, and what the hell is a cult except a gang of rebels without a cause. I have fans. There’s a big difference.” —on rival Bette Davis

“Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell.”

“I am just too much.”

“Women’s lib? Poor little things. They always look so unhappy. Have you noticed how bitter their faces are?”

“Nobody can imitate me. You can always see impersonations of Katharine Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe. But not me. Because I’ve always drawn on myself only.”

“Sensitive husbands don’t like second billing.”

“They were all terrible, even the few I thought might be good. I made them because I needed the money or because I was bored or both. I hope they have been exhibited and withdrawn and are never heard from again.” —regarding the movies she made after What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?.

“I hate being asked to discuss those dreadful horror pictures I made the mistake of starring in. They were all just so disappointing to me, I really had high expectations for some of them. I thought that William Castle and I did our best on Strait-Jacket but the script was ludicrous and unbelievable and that destroyed that picture. I even thought that Berserk would be good but that was one of the worst of the lot. The other one William Castle and I did [i Saw What You Did] was the most wretched of them all and I just wasn’t good at playing an over-the-hill nymphomaniac. Ha! Then came Trog. Now you can understand why I retired from making motion pictures.”

“Send me flowers while I’m alive. They won’t do me a damn bit of good after I’m dead.”

“It was the most shocking display of bad taste I have ever seen. Look, there’s nothing wrong with my tits, but I don’t go around throwing them in people’s faces.” —on Marilyn Monroe

“She is a spoiled, indulgent girl, a blemish on public decency.” —on Liz Taylor

“Box-office poison? Mr. [Louis B.] Mayer always asserted that the studio had built Stage 22, Stage 24, and the Irving Thalberg Building, brick by brick, from the income on my pictures.”

“I absolutely will not allow anyone to call me grandmother. They can call me Auntie Joan, Dee-Dee, Cho-Cho, anything but grandmother. It pushes a woman almost to the grave.”

“They were grooming Doris Day to take over the top spot. [Jack L. Warner] asked me to play her sister in one picture [storm Warning]. I said, ‘Come on, Jack. No one could ever believe that I would have Doris Day for a sister.'” —on her final days at Warner Brothers

“What do you expect? She sleeps with the boss.” —on the popularity of Norma Shearer, who was married to MGM production head Irving Thalberg

“Marlon Brando . . . Oh, what was the film [Last Tango in Paris] . . . anyway the nude scene. He’s at least 40 pounds overweight, and I think the only sex appeal he has would be to a meat packer. That’s art?”

“Of course I had heard she was supposed to be playing me, but I didn’t believe it. Did you see the picture? It couldn’t possibly be me. Bette looked so old, and so dreadfully overweight.” —on Bette Davis in The Star

“I’d like to think every director I’ve worked with has fallen in love with me, I know Dorothy Arzner did.”

“Recently I heard a ‘wise guy’ story that I had a party at my home for twenty-five men. It’s an interesting story, but I don’t know twenty-five men I’d want to invite ta a party.”

“Over the years I’ve heard and read so many stories about the way Judy Garland was so badly treated at Metro she ended up a mess. I did not know her well, but after watching her in action a few times I didn’t want to know her well. I think her problems were caused by the fact that she was a spoiled, indulgent, selfish brat — plus a stage mother who had to be something of a monster, and a few husbands whose egos absolutely dominated hers. There were times when I felt sorry for Judy, but there were more times when I thought, ‘For Christ’s sake, get off your ass!’ …but when she put her mind to it, she was good. And I mean damned good. Even in her silly pictures she came off.”

“Damn it. Don’t you dare ask God to help me.” —said to her housekeeper who prayed out loud while Crawford was on her deathbed.

Source: http://flavorwire.com/520102/25-of-the-bitchiest-joan-crawford-quotes

Bette:

"Why am I so good at playing bitches? I think it’s because I’m not a bitch. Maybe that’s why [Joan Crawford] always plays ladies"

“There was more good acting at Hollywood parties than ever appeared on the screen.”

“I will never be below the title.”

“The best time I ever had with Joan Crawford was when I pushed her down the stairs in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?”

“I never did pal around with actresses. Their talk usually bored me to tears.”

“[referring to fourth husband, Gary Merrill] Gary was a macho man, but none of my husbands was ever man enough to become Mr. Bette Davis.”

“[on her greatest rival Joan Crawford] She has slept with every male star at MGM except Lassie.”

“[on Crawford] I wouldn’t piss on her if she was on fire.”

“[commenting on the death of long-time nemesis Joan Crawford] You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good… Joan Crawford is dead. Good.”

“[on Errol Flynn] He was just beautiful… Errol. He himself openly said, ‘I don’t know really anything about acting,’ and I admire his honesty because he’s absolutely right.”

“The male ego, with few exceptions, is elephantine to start with.”

“I am a woman meant for a man, but I never found a man who could compete.”

“I’d marry again if I found a man who had fifteen million dollars, would sign over half to me, and guarantee that he’d be dead within a year.”

“I survived because I was tougher than anybody else.”

“[when Ed Sullivan offered Davis $10,000 to do an imitation of Tallulah Bankhead on television] Miss Bankhead isn’t well enough known nationally to warrant my imitating her.”

“The weak are the most treacherous of us all. They come to the strong and drain them. They are bottomless. They are insatiable. They are always parched and always bitter. They are everyone’s concern and like vampires they suck our life’s blood.”

“Old age is no place for sissies.”

“If everybody likes you, you’re pretty dull.”

“[during tension on the set of The Whales of August (1987) about her esteemed costar Lillian Gish] She ought to know about close-ups! Jesus, she was around when they invented them!”

“Today everyone is a star — they’re all billed as ‘starring’ or ‘also starring’. In my day, we earned that recognition.”

Source: http://flavorwire.com/512679/20-of-the-bitchiest-bette-davis-quotes

Me too :D

She has the best quotes, I swear.

OH YEAH.

So, Ryan already announced the theme for season 2 of this show, Prince Charles vs. Princess Diana.

Source: http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/fued-charles-diana-season-two-renewa-1201998875/

It'll be interesting to see who they cast for the roles (please don't let Sarah be Diana :D )

Also, it seems like we're going to get a lot of Princess Diana next year since season 3 of The Crown (everyone, go watch this!) will be the season where they have Diana.

Quick note: I didn't know that they could say cunt and fuck on FX.  :D

Neither did I. Watching it live went out the window because I was helping my mom unpack since she had gotten home from a trip to Indiana that night. I did catch the rerun at 1. The show feels like a slow burn to chaos unfolding, but I'm good with that because a lot of folks our generation and younger don't really know what Hollywood behind the scenes was like back then. I had forgotten that Bette Davis was one of the bigger actors who started suing movie studios for their fucked up contracts.

Neither did I. Watching it live went out the window because I was helping my mom unpack since she had gotten home from a trip to Indiana that night. I did catch the rerun at 1. The show feels like a slow burn to chaos unfolding, but I'm good with that because a lot of folks our generation and younger don't really know what Hollywood behind the scenes was like back then. I had forgotten that Bette Davis was one of the bigger actors who started suing movie studios for their fucked up contracts.

Oh! Yeaaah, Hollywood would do anything for gossip.  But yeah, I hope our generation will consider watching some of these ladies' movies.

Yeah, Bette Davis was always the revolutionary bull; another reason why she didn't care for Joan is because Bette actually did classically train as an actor.

Plus working on Broadway<3.

I honestly wanted more Bette scenes.

I know Jessica Lange is KWEEN in Ryan's eyes, but I also want a bit more Bette.

At least we got to see a snippet of her life.

There's something about Lange's cheekbones that are so unlike Crawford's face that her acting isn't good enough to distract me from it. Sarandon has most of Davis's key facial shapes, so her getting Davis's attitude down too really makes me watch her more in scenes that she shares with Lange.

I agree!

Lange doesn't look exactly like Crawford enough for me to be like  <3 for her.

Also I feel like they should make her eyebrows more bold/darker.

With Susan and Davis it's bang on, like you said.

She even has her damn walk down. :D

I'm just waiting for more of her zingers toward Joan.

But it's only begun so I guess we'll see.

It'd be interesting if they brought up more of their past (esp with the man Davis actually loved but Crawford married).

Omg.  >:D

BOB IS AWFUL WTF

Derpy man stirring the pot.

Lawd.

I liked Jessica's performance more this episode.

Maybe it's because she's starting to be more #petty.

Bette's daughter telling it as it is  whut

Poor Bette, but she is right. :D

Since they're spreading gossip all around, the progression of this series shall be entertaining.

Looks like we might get the face kicking scene next episode.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/12/feud-season-1-episode-2-ryan-murphy/

Happy to hear that we get more Catherine Zeta Jones by episode 5.

I rewatched episode 1 with my mom, and at the end she said, "I saw Catherine Zeta Jones in the credits, but where was she?" When I rewinded to her parts, she was surprised at not having recognized her. I've seen CZJ in a bunch of different costumes for films so I'll spot her in anything, but I was like,  "Come on, Mom, no one else has that voice." Man I had a serious crush on her during her Zorro movie stint. It was nice watching the first episode again just because I really like that scene where Crawford and Davis are looking at their recorded scene together and that intense regret that starts to hit both of them.

In episode 2, I wasn't surprised but still disappointed at how Bob contributed to the anger behind the scenes even after his wife let him know that real or not, those kind of rumors hurt everyone. It was kind of funny how much effort Crawford went to for her seduction attempt, and Davis doesn't even have to try. A lot of the speech by Davis's daughter was probably accurate about the motives behind Davis not letting her hang with the crew, but she lost me at people past their prime should just wither away on a shelf. One thing I didn't even know I cared so much about was Victor Buono being played well until his character popped up, and I was just grinning because of how much they nailed him. Oh and a special shout out to Hedda's yellow dress that I just adored and couldn't help thinking of Rita Skeeter from the Harry Potter books/movies.

I rewatched episode 1 with my mom, and at the end she said, "I saw Catherine Zeta Jones in the credits, but where was she?" When I rewinded to her parts, she was surprised at not having recognized her. I've seen CZJ in a bunch of different costumes for films so I'll spot her in anything, but I was like,  "Come on, Mom, no one else has that voice." Man I had a serious crush on her during her Zorro movie stint. It was nice watching the first episode again just because I really like that scene where Crawford and Davis are looking at their recorded scene together and that intense regret that starts to hit both of them.

In episode 2, I wasn't surprised but still disappointed at how Bob contributed to the anger behind the scenes even after his wife let him know that real or not, those kind of rumors hurt everyone. It was kind of funny how much effort Crawford went to for her seduction attempt, and Davis doesn't even have to try. A lot of the speech by Davis's daughter was probably accurate about the motives behind Davis not letting her hang with the crew, but she lost me at people past their prime should just wither away on a shelf. One thing I didn't even know I cared so much about was Victor Buono being played well until his character popped up, and I was just grinning because of how much they nailed him. Oh and a special shout out to Hedda's yellow dress that I just adored and couldn't help thinking of Rita Skeeter from the Harry Potter books/movies.

Dude yeah, for me it was Chicago :D Velma Kelly<333 >_<

Aww, lmao, cute mom, missing Catherine :D

I watched with my mom too! She's liking it thus far.

YEAH LOL Crawford needed to up her hoetivities to compete with Bette...Bette it's all natural because Bette truly IS a great actress.  Which is why it didn't surprise me that Bette was the only one nominated for an Oscar for Baby Jane.

Ah, her daughter was saying that Bette would criticize other actresses for trying to be relevant when they turned a certain age...and there's Bette, trying to get back in the game as an older actress now.

So that really had to hit home with her....daughter bringing the receipts. :D

Victor :D his short but sweet introduction to Bette.

Bette's rxn to him was priceless  >:D

Alright the episode that aired on Sunday:

I loved seeing the #petty that was on set during the filming.

From Joan wearing weights and doing a gazillion retakes to Bette kicking her face.

OH! And Joan slandering Bette to Hedda, lying about how Bette was doing the shit she was doing.  :D

Showing up drunk, having to do multiple takes, girl plz.

It was sad to hear that Joan was basically raped at 11  whut

Also Joan on her kids...didn't know she was that attached to them, even tho she did kind of treat them poorly. >.>

Loved the added touch of her signing a letter from "Mommie Dearest".

She also had a problem with adopting kids >.> she should've just gotten a pet, but she's a bit of a clean freak...so I guess Mamacita will do.

I felt bad for Bette.

Her talking to her adopted, mentally disabled daughter  :'(

Also her other daughter getting her chance, also felt bad that Hedda had to go and drag her in front of Bette.

Happy to see Bette be supportive of her and not outright say "you're shit".

I also think it gave her daughter a new perspective for Bette, on how hard it is to be a good actor.

>:D @ Bette having to bail out Victor after he was giving some dude a blowie in the movie theatre.

In the last episode, both actresses had my equal attention. In that scene with Crawford talking about how she lost her virginity, I had the same look of horror on my face as Davis. Then I even felt bad for her because she was sabotaging herself when it comes to earning Davis's full respect by getting drunk and showing up late to set while Victor Buono put in the work and earned that respect. That episode was also a close look at how Davis's work is an obsession for her. It's why she's so good at it, but at the same time I was thinking, 'Oof honey, you should have brought your daughter into the rehearsal with Buono instead of pushing her aside.'

In the last episode, both actresses had my equal attention. In that scene with Crawford talking about how she lost her virginity, I had the same look of horror on my face as Davis. Then I even felt bad for her because she was sabotaging herself when it comes to earning Davis's full respect by getting drunk and showing up late to set while Victor Buono put in the work and earned that respect. That episode was also a close look at how Davis's work is an obsession for her. It's why she's so good at it, but at the same time I was thinking, 'Oof honey, you should have brought your daughter into the rehearsal with Buono instead of pushing her aside.'

yeah! O_O Crawford, I WTF'd big time at that...explains her insecurities.

you're right, Joan "lucille" crawford does keep pissing off Bette.

She has a nice dinner with Bette and then turns it to Hedda and tells blatant lies about how Davis is always drunko and how Davis doesn't want to be lead 'cuz she said awards don't matter. :D

Like girl....

I agree! Bette should've helped her daughter out more!

Little steps with her, tho, 'cuz like you said it is an obsession.

But the snippets of her actually caring are nice to see.

Okay, thoughts on new episode:

Wow @ the pessimism  toward the movie.

Everyone had zero faith it would do well. :D

Oh yeah, and wow @ the lack of gigs the ladies received...they were born in the wrong era, lol, they would've been snatched up for something nowadays.

Obvz it becomes a hit....Joan loved the attention in the beginning, then started to dread it since, in her mind, it's probz the last time she'd receive so much of it.

Bette, on the other hand, loved it >.> Basked in it, went to gigs, promoted the fucking movie, like JOAN should've been doing, ugh.

I did lol @ the part when Joan called up Bette and legit fell asleep while the phone was ringing.  >:D Such a drunkard.

Also I did not know Bette went on Andy Williams and sang! LOL! I had to look it up:

Pauline's side story was interesting...wanting to direct a film she wrote.

Mamacita was behind her, bringing the almanac receipts, saying that women outnumber men, yaaaas Mamacita :D

FUCK YOU @ BOB! Lashing out at Pauline like that D:< because his shitty western with Sinatra is shit >.>

Also because Jack Warner said he had zero potential. :D

He shouldn't have lashed out at Pauline tho -____-

The ending was LMAO!

Mamacita anticipating the calls :D :D :D

Joan screaming at the end  >:D

Like, girl, ofc Bette is going to be the one nominated.

It's sad that Bette doesn't win in the end -_- probz cuz of all the efforts Joan does to campaign against her.

• 1 month later...

So Feud ended ;_;

BUT the ending was beautiful <3

I had chills when Joan hallucinated meeting everyone again and basically becoming Bette's friend.

:o when they almost reconciled; when Bette called Joan when she was sick and didn't say anything.