UnevenEdge

Voting tomorrow?

Kudasai

How is it a silencer of dissent? It's about the process - who or what you vote for doesn't matter; it's a matter of putting your money where your mouth is.

I've seen it used in the following formats:

1. You didn't vote to stop X, so you don't deserve to complain about X.

2. You voted for X, so you have to put up with X and stop complaining about it.

3. You voted against X, but more people voted for X, so stop complaining about what the majority wants.

Political action for the average citizen is corralled into "I check this box".  It ignores the fact that (1) a vote can run into difficulties that prevent it from being counted, (2) X could have changed a thing and now you have reason to believe that X is bad, and (3) there's a fucking reason you voted against X.  I hate the "vote or you have no voice" argument with a fiery passion because of this.

{Yeah, I'm aware you only said "go vote", and didn't bring up 2 or 3.  I've dealt with each of those scenarios from different people, though.  And note I have like a hundred elections' less experience on this than you do >.>}

I've never read that much into the statement. Don't vote, don't complain - you didn't participate, you don't have the luxury of criticizing others' choices. Vote, and complain all you want - if your opinion changes, that's fine. You can still complain; it's sort of like going to a restaurant, ordering something that you thought looked good, and finding out that it wasn't what you expected. Even though you chose it, you can complain about it, and, in due course, send it back. And when has being in the minority ever stopped anybody from complaining? You voiced your opinion, and, this being America, you're free to continue voicing your opinion.

"(1) a vote can run into difficulties that prevent it from being counted"  I had to laugh; I lived and voted in Florida during the 2000 election (although we had scanners in our county, not chads) 'Nuff said. ;D

I've actually seen/heard the second and third statements outright.  No reading into necessary.  And the "you voted for it so STFU" bit quite commonly.  Honestly, though, it feels like the media {and, by extension, everyone bombarded by the media} puts so much exclusive emphasis on the vote that the arguments for and against each vote fall by the wayside.  It's... frustrating.  {Though your stance is refreshing.  Vote, complain, vote, complain, rant, bitch, gripe, vote, whine. :P}

Gawd, I was in Florida but too young to vote in 2000.  I'm still pissed that Al Gore probably maybe had the state swiped from him.  Hope-ful-ly the DNC and the Russians keep their collective hands off the voting process this time around.

• 2 weeks later...