UnevenEdge

The Dark Tower

molarbear

Has anyone read this series? 

Any thoughts on the upcoming movie?

I honestly think it's going to be terrible.  The dude playing Roland is black, that doesn't bother me, but,  it's the other stuff that bugs me.  What really grinds my gears is they're going to include the part where Jake enters the World via the house, and, there's no Eddie, or Susannah,in the movie so, that entire happening cannot happen without Eddie or Susannah. 

I haven't read it, but I can't imagine a single film doing any justice resembling such an extended series.

I've never been a huge series person. But given the extended time King has spent on it, and his own passion for it,

it would likely be one of the first that I would eventually pick up.

The plan is two films (if the first film does well)  followed by a Ron Howard directing a TV series to fill in the blanks. 

Problem with filling in those blanks is Ron Howard is a fan of the Series, and wants to stay true to it, so, how do you explain a random female accomplice that the movie people are making up?  How do they introduce the other 3 members of the Ka-tet?

Let Ron howard come in and save us all, or,  Are we doomed to witness what is "imo" the best of Stephen King's work go to shit due to Stephen King being involved?   

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed it, even the later books everyone shits on. My favorite Dark Tower related book though is actually Insomnia, which has a poor reputation. Guess my tastes are weird. I'm pretty much classifying the film as its own separate thing and have no real opinion on it one way or the other.

I enjoyed it, even the later books everyone shits on. My favorite Dark Tower related book though is actually Insomnia, which has a poor reputation. Guess my tastes are weird. I'm pretty much classifying the film as its own separate thing and have no real opinion on it one way or the other.

I really enjoyed the later books, I didn't agree with the ending per say but, it was fun ride. 

Technically the way it ended is why they're taking creative choices with the movie. 

We don't know if he had the same Ka-tet each time.

I'll have to check out Insomnia though, I think you mentioned it back when DBZ4ever was doing the Dragonball marathon.

Yeah the ending certainly opened up the possibility of them going as they are.

Insomnia's a strange book. It's massive and was written before the last four Tower books, but is crucial to the climax...

until King literally snubs it himself in Book 7, having Roland discard the copy he's given. Written years later I can only conclude King changed his mind about it during the intervening years.

Plot wise it does follow an elderly widower for 800 pages, but I dunno something just clicked with it for me.

I loved the auras concept, and how it pretty much feels like an anime concept. I also loved an easter egg implying Atropos was responsible for all the terrible events in Pet Sematary. That it also introduced the Crimson King and Patrick Danville so early was also cool.

For such a massive book I finished it very quickly. By my standards anyway. :D There's also an abortion/domestic abuse subplot that's just...kinda there.

• 1 month later...

That's a good book.  It is neat that almost half of King's works are related to the Dark Tower in some way. 

I don't like the idea of the whole series being scrunched into two films.  There's way too much material in the books.  Pretty sure the films will suck. 

They should have simply made it a TV series.  Make it an hour long show on AMC or something.

That's actually a possibility.  The plan is supposedly if the movie does well enough, Ron Howard is going to make a tv series to fill in the blanks between the two movies. 

I agree with you, it probably will suck.  I posted a leaked trailer that isn't complete over in the movie folder if you want a little sneak peak. 

*edit nvm, the video was pulled from youtube

That's actually a possibility.  The plan is supposedly if the movie does well enough, Ron Howard is going to make a tv series to fill in the blanks between the two movies. 

I agree with you, it probably will suck.  I posted a leaked trailer that isn't complete over in the movie folder if you want a little sneak peak. 

*edit nvm, the video was pulled from youtube

What I meant was that they should have skipped the films entirely and gone straight to the TV series.  If this series was given the same gravitas of a TV series that Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones had, I wouldn't see a problem.  Not have two shitty movies and, if they do well enough, make a TV show to fill in the blanks.  That's a horrible idea.  I'm surprised that King signed off on this desecration since he considers The Dark Tower series to be his Magnum Opus.

I get what you're saying, look at "The Dome" though.  They tried turning that into a TV series and butchered it. 

They could do a mini series like "The Stand" but you'd never be able to fit all the books into that either. 

it'd be like a month long mini series at the least, and we're in a time where peoples attention spans are at their lowest.   

• 1 month later...

Yeah the ending certainly opened up the possibility of them going as they are.

Insomnia's a strange book. It's massive and was written before the last four Tower books, but is crucial to the climax...

until King literally snubs it himself in Book 7, having Roland discard the copy he's given. Written years later I can only conclude King changed his mind about it during the intervening years.

Plot wise it does follow an elderly widower for 800 pages, but I dunno something just clicked with it for me.

I loved the auras concept, and how it pretty much feels like an anime concept. I also loved an easter egg implying Atropos was responsible for all the terrible events in Pet Sematary. That it also introduced the Crimson King and Patrick Danville so early was also cool.

For such a massive book I finished it very quickly. By my standards anyway. :D There's also an abortion/domestic abuse subplot that's just...kinda there.

I've been reading "IT" and one of the Protagonists keeps talking about a Turtle and how it's guiding him to safety.

I've also heard from a source that "Hearts in Atlantis"  has almost an entire page that speaks of the Crimson King, the Tower, and, Gunslingers.  Needless to say "I have no shame in admitting this"  Anytime I hear Gunslinger I get a semi hard on waiting for their badass tale.   

The Crimson King pays a role in Hearts, or more accurately his agents. It was published in 99 I think. As I said previously the first book in which the Crimson King is mentioned by name is Insomnia, released in 1994. The first main series Dark Tower book that mentioned him was 1996's Wizard and Glass. However, King did go back and briefly namedrop him in later editions of the first tower book, The Gunslinger. Like IT, Insomnia is also set in Derry, and Mike Hanlon even has a cameo.