UnevenEdge

credit question (WARNING: BORING ADULT TALK)

Naraku4656

Buckle up buttercups, I have a coherent question for people smarter with money than I am. I have a card that charges an annual fee that I want to switch out for another card with the same company. Problem is, they require me to "apply" again for the new card since it's a different type of card. I would then close my old (current) card. I've had my current card for about 5 years now and it's my second oldest card. About how badly would it screw up my credit if I switched to a card without an annual fee and cancelled my 5 year old card?

not entirely sure about the smarter part, but hey, i'm here so let's do this bitch. first of all, applying for the new card will mean a hard pull on your credit report, even if you don't get approved.

if you already have the home loan you want and your credit is established and decent, swapping out one credit card for another new one won't ruin you by any means (even for one that's 5 years old). if the annual fee is something stupid like $100 or more, i'd do it, esp if the interest rate is comparable and you carry a balance on the card.

average age of credit history is a relatively minor factor in the grand scheme. as long as you make your payments on time, don't max out your cards, don't default on a loan, and don't have way too much available "credit" (read: debt) in your name, i wouldn't worry too much.

not entirely sure about the smarter part, but hey, i'm here so let's do this bitch. first of all, applying for the new card will mean a hard pull on your credit report, even if you don't get approved.

if you already have the home loan you want and your credit is established and decent, swapping out one credit card for another new one won't ruin you by any means (even for one that's 5 years old). if the annual fee is something stupid like $100 or more, i'd do it, esp if the interest rate is comparable and you carry a balance on the card.

average age of credit history is a relatively minor factor in the grand scheme. as long as you make your payments on time, don't max out your cards, don't default on a loan, and don't have way too much available "credit" (read: debt) in your name, i wouldn't worry too much.

the annual fee is $95. i'd like to get a different one

Well, I don't care balances so it has always worked well for me, free trip to Philly couple times year.

what is it, like 5 hours to drive to philadelphia? you need to hit the road and open that tin can up a little bit before it dies of boredom. and stop wasting miles on puddle jumping.

any of the rewards cards feel too much like a gimmick to me. granted, i have one (amazon card), but it's the only one and i only got it because i didn't want them to have my debit card info for paranoid reasons.

i have had a bank of america card for like 12 years, with no annual fee and an interest rate of 6.99%. it's the only one i've ever really carried balances on for more than a few months at a time, and only because it's not much more expensive to use than getting a loan at a bank. not sure how i qualified for it back then, but here we are.