UnevenEdge

Twin Peaks

Admin

this. also, with all the talk of and references to phillip jeffries, i'm seriously bummed that david bowie didn't stick around long enough for this.

i remember reading somewhere early on that he was down to reprise the role.

It really is a shame. ;_;

RIP Bowie<3

On another celeb note: lawl @ cokehead Amanda Seyfried scamming money from Shelley.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miguel Ferrer passed away in January this year too.

I do like though how Lynch manages to keep these roles alive without necessarily recasting.  Like Cooperganger being made up to look more like Bob.  And Don Davis having a small scene and credit, and the Log lady in the first episode, etc.

I wish they hadn't cut all the Packard/Martel stuff out of the story.  It'd be cool to see some little snippet of Jack Nance in there somewhere.

But in spite of missing that stuff, I really like the focus being on Cooper.  Like the focus in the first 16 or so episodes being on the Palmer murder.  It works really well for the series to tell one story at a time, especially since those stories are usually very complex and can cover some ground.

2-4 episodes as in total?

Or 2-4 episodes total for derpo Cooper.

She was a fun, sarcastic betch.

I was under the impression it was double-premiere schedule, since technically the first 2 weeks were. Like 2 episodes air each week, with 4 every other week released online. Since that's how it started and Showtime was talking about an unusual release schedule.

Looks like it's going to be a pretty normal release from now on.

also I'm really into this show about Dougie.  I get that it's Twin Peaks.  And I get that it's all tied in and stuff.  But I really enjoy watching Dougie wander around.  I'm not quite sure why I never get tired of it.  Because it strikes me as something I should get tired of. 

But I like Dougie and I like watching Dougie wander around.  And I sort of like that, right now, that's kind of what the show is. 

Part of that is knowing that I'll probably be blown away by where it ultimately goes.  And also the other story elements that are swirling around that I know will eventually intersect.

But I like this show that's just about Dougie.

I was under the impression it was double-premiere schedule, since technically the first 2 weeks were. Like 2 episodes air each week, with 4 every other week released online. Since that's how it started and Showtime was talking about an unusual release schedule.

Looks like it's going to be a pretty normal release from now on.

Ooooh.

Lmao, did they say that? Well that's Showtime for you.

What they did was nothing amazing since they have done that before with their other shows (like the premiere week having eps 3-4 on demand).

We better get a 2 hour finale >.> <.<

this. also, with all the talk of and references to phillip jeffries, i'm seriously bummed that david bowie didn't stick around long enough for this.

i remember reading somewhere early on that he was down to reprise the role.

I believe there's still a possibility for Bowie. I'm not truly expecting it but I think there's a chance, especially considering how strongly things are revolving around Philip Jefferies.

I'm honestly a little done with the Dougie bit. I don't hatefuck it like some people on the internet do - I'm rather indifferent - but I feel it's been stretched far enough. I'm betting it'll be resolved in 2 or 3 more parts but with Lynch you never know. Might not get Coop till the last two parts, which would kinda suck.

Part 5 is probably my favorite Part so far, as it felt like the old series with its mix of absurdism and sinister smalltown atmosphere. The Bang Bang Bar scene with Richard Horne was fantastic, as was Becky getting high. Also really enjoyed seeing Mike (Mike IS the man) tear down Bobby 2.0.

I thought Part 6 was incredibly bad... and I've loved every previous Part.

The Dougie scene of him drawing was the only time I felt the pacing was unforgivable. I don't mind the overall nature of Dougie and I understand what they're getting at with him but this scene was just a waste. They showed the boss looking at the drawings anyway so watching Dougie actually draw it is nonsensical. Not to mention they reused the same jazz track about three times up to this point -- and it's not even a Badlamenti track (nor is it particularly exceptional).

The intersection scene felt like a parody. The excruciating, almost embarrassing acting by the extras that we get a full view of neutered what otherwise could have been an intense scene. The shot showing the truck driver put his face in his hand was just dumb. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be comedic. I couldn't even find it weird or surreal. It all just felt really dumb; a misfire.

The dwarf scene was shocking, but I also found relief in that this likely means we won't have to hear that bland 'hip-hop' instrumental beat again.

The developments with Richard Horne was disappointing. A great introduction to something sinister and evil in Part 5 knocked down to the atypical "Don't call me kid!" villain; the overall dull introduction to Red as something sinister and evil being a bad liver and goofy mannerisms that came across like Lynch going through the motions. The part with the dime was cool, but Getty lacks an intensity in appearance that Farren has almost by default. Getty looks like a deflated Henry Rollins here and has zero menace.

Lastly, Chad. This is the lamest, most asinine character. He is so out-of-place and so obviously unfit to be an officer, and even with the mention of the police force being on cruise control, I find it ridiculous that a guy this obvious would still be kept around. The connotation here isn't that the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department is resting on its laurels, it's that it's incompetent. And even if that's the intention, that doesn't forgive the lack of thought put into this character.

But I'm still going with this and looking forward to the next Parts. I was just really bummed on this one, and felt that the exceptional scenes of Twin Peaks in Part 5 were castrated in the follow-up.

watching the new one.  It takes me awhile because I want it to last. 

I'm glad they're telling a good long story this season.  So I don't mind the pace at all.  In fact I think I kinda like it because it's just completely different from anything else on tv.  or anywhere else.

And I also still like the Dougie thing, and I think part of that is that indeed each episode brings Cooper closer to remembering.

I thought this episode was very full.  I enjoy the mix of dreamlike physics, sharp reality, and facade.  The whole thing has such a unique texture.  I live for stuff like this.  I really can't think of anything else atm that is it's own thing.  Most things fit into one of a small set of story archetypes.  And this does have some archetypical things in the mix.  But Twin Peaks is just Twin Peaks in the end.  There's just nothing else like it.  I love it for that.

I catch glimpses of this show once in awhile but never in it's entirety ...thinking of sitting down to watch this after i'm done  catching up with AoT season 2 and monster musume ...where exactly can I find the first season? I can only see the movie on the xbox marketplace..

I catch glimpses of this show once in awhile but never in it's entirety ...thinking of sitting down to watch this after i'm done  catching up with AoT season 2 and monster musume ...where exactly can I find the first season? I can only see the movie on the xbox marketplace..

Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Showtime.

By the way, the best viewing order is seasons 1-2, then the movie, then "The Return" (season 3).

I love how sassy Diane is  >:D

So we're going full circle here with Briggs...his head is in the in-between area o_O and his body is the decapitated body.

Evil Coop is released via blackmail, the FBI will not be happy about this..

idk if I missed something, but what is Strawberry, etc. Evil!Coop used for blackmail?

Derpo!Coop and his muscle memory really came in handy this episode with that assassin.

The fucking evolved arm screaming  >:D wtf. >.>

The mysterious journal pages show up! Now the TP PD is finally on a better track toward finding Coop.

I wonder if Ben Horne will tell them that he received Coop's room key.

Oh and it was nice to see Doc Hayward.

It's like I'm in some alternate dimension where imagery and art matter to storytelling again.

This was crazy in the sense that - you know, for decades now I've been a media junky and watched 10,000 different people struggle to tell stories.  And in almost every case, the roadmap they use is to just do the same thing everyone else has always done when they tell stories.  So really, there's like only a few stories, told over and over again by different people almost.

Seeing this is like being dimensionally displaced.  Especially now, in the internet age, when I always feel like everyone is rushing to be like everything else.  Like in entertainment, we're down to a very small number of conglomerates now that own almost everything.  And audiences seem to not even be aware of what they're taking in.  Almost behaving like flocks of birds, when one takes wing, the rest do to, not quite knowing why.  Taylor Swift is at 9bzillion likes.  Like the new Katy Perry video on Youtube gets liked by 100s of thousands in it's first hour online.  Stuff like that.  Even "alternative" stuff is generally people who don't really know what they're doing stumbling around parroting their favorite movie/TV show, tossing in memes and tropes they think might make it more popular etc.

It really has become literally impossible to find something new. 

And then this happens. 

Twin Peaks has been a creative blessing in general with its rare genuine individuality.  But this episode was just light years beyond even anything it had done up to this point.

It's amazing and beautiful and frightening.  And telling a story, allowing that story to be utterly itself.  Not trying to parrot you back to yourself in an effort to be liked and shared on social media.  It just is this strange, scary, uncompromising, refreshing, free thing.

Each image on its own is astonishing.  Strung together they evoke emotion.  The emotion settles into thought.

It's hands down the most brilliant thing I think I've ever seen anywhere in entertainment.

By not holding my hand and walking me through it, it stays with me in a way that other stories do not.  By taking all the signs down, it forces me to figure out what is what and where to enter and where to exit.

It feels like the world has become a place where people are constantly trying to tell you what to do, what to think, how to feel, and everyone needs to be like everybody else, do what they do, like what they like, whether that's a pop culture mass, or a niche group of flat-earthers, it feels like everybody has gone as far as they need to go.  Nobody needs to think about anything else.  Just surround themselves with that sort of safe space of agreeable routine.

This just isn't having any of that.  It does it's own thing.  Isn't like anything else.  It's alive.  It's going to go farther than it needs to, because that's where the challenge is.  It's not agreeable.  It's not safe.  It's not routine. 

But also it never feels aggressive in those elements.  It feels very childlike, almost naive sometimes.  And then other times very menacing.  Such an amazing combination of things.

I'm blown away. 

It's like I'm in some alternate dimension where imagery and art matter to storytelling again.

This was crazy in the sense that - you know, for decades now I've been a media junky and watched 10,000 different people struggle to tell stories.  And in almost every case, the roadmap they use is to just do the same thing everyone else has always done when they tell stories.  So really, there's like only a few stories, told over and over again by different people almost.

Seeing this is like being dimensionally displaced.  Especially now, in the internet age, when I always feel like everyone is rushing to be like everything else.  Like in entertainment, we're down to a very small number of conglomerates now that own almost everything.  And audiences seem to not even be aware of what they're taking in.  Almost behaving like flocks of birds, when one takes wing, the rest do to, not quite knowing why.  Taylor Swift is at 9bzillion likes.  Like the new Katy Perry video on Youtube gets liked by 100s of thousands in it's first hour online.  Stuff like that.  Even "alternative" stuff is generally people who don't really know what they're doing stumbling around parroting their favorite movie/TV show, tossing in memes and tropes they think might make it more popular etc.

It really has become literally impossible to find something new. 

And then this happens. 

Twin Peaks has been a creative blessing in general with its rare genuine individuality.  But this episode was just light years beyond even anything it had done up to this point.

It's amazing and beautiful and frightening.  And telling a story, allowing that story to be utterly itself.  Not trying to parrot you back to yourself in an effort to be liked and shared on social media.  It just is this strange, scary, uncompromising, refreshing, free thing.

Each image on its own is astonishing.  Strung together they evoke emotion.  The emotion settles into thought.

It's hands down the most brilliant thing I think I've ever seen anywhere in entertainment.

By not holding my hand and walking me through it, it stays with me in a way that other stories do not.  By taking all the signs down, it forces me to figure out what is what and where to enter and where to exit.

It feels like the world has become a place where people are constantly trying to tell you what to do, what to think, how to feel, and everyone needs to be like everybody else, do what they do, like what they like, whether that's a pop culture mass, or a niche group of flat-earthers, it feels like everybody has gone as far as they need to go.  Nobody needs to think about anything else.  Just surround themselves with that sort of safe space of agreeable routine.

This just isn't having any of that.  It does it's own thing.  Isn't like anything else.  It's alive.  It's going to go farther than it needs to, because that's where the challenge is.  It's not agreeable.  It's not safe.  It's not routine. 

But also it never feels aggressive in those elements.  It feels very childlike, almost naive sometimes.  And then other times very menacing.  Such an amazing combination of things.

I'm blown away.

what got me is that it wasn't just imagery for it's own sake.

there was actual storytelling going on.

i mean, if i understand the overarching mythology of the show correctly, and i think i do, episode 8 was basically an origin story.

not only was i blown away by the visuals and sounds, but i came away knowing more about BOB, the inhabitants of the lodge, possibly laura, and maybe even sarah palmer.

I'm late coming to this thread. I'm going to respond to posts about previous episodes later since I have some comments on your guys' comments. But for now I'm posting my prediction from what we saw in part 8.

The moth-frog is the evil entity we know as Killer Bob. It was born in a nuclear bomb blast. It has crawled into the girl's mouth. I'm predicting the evil won't stay with the girl for long. I think it will ultimately come to reside in the boy and stay there long term. We already know Killer Bob will use the inhabited person's name (as possessed-by-Bob-Cooper still goes by Cooper, not Bob), so I suspect this boy's name is Bob and is the reason we refer to the evil entity as Bob in the first place. The young boy even kind of looks like he could be a young Frank Silva. I really think he is the young-pre-possessed Bob!

I've read a theory on this that the young boy is Gordon Cole and the girl is Judy (the one we won't talk about) and that Bob's bug possession of Judy lead her to commit atrocities that lead Cole to the FBI and his interest in Blue Rose. The picture of the atomic bomb in Cole's office being a reference point.

I liked this Part -- it's obviously very visually arresting and wonderfully cold. But I'm not sold on how it aims to explain BOB and The Black Lodge. BOB was/is a force made even more powerful by being a mystery; he was beyond comprehension, and the only thing that could describe him was that he was "the evil that men do." One of my favorite lines is the one in which he declares, "I have the fury of my own momentum." It was a terrifying declaration because we didn't know what he was. He was as dangerous as the void. He was chaos. And you can't comprehend that, not fully.

Besides defanging BOB as vomit from a burping demon, there's also the creation of The Lodge -- a place that was intriguing because we didn't know why it was, only that it ran concurrently within our reality in a different space. There's The Black Lodge and The White Lodge, and as Hawk recalls in Season 2, it's a place that was referenced by his people long ago with the Owl Cave featuring ancient markings of Lodge symbology, and the Owl Ring going as far back as the colonial era (this being explored in The Secret History of Twin Peaks). This conflicts with what we're shown in Part 8, that The Black Lodge broke through the atom bomb in the 50's and that BOB came about because of it, birthed from a mother. The mystery and intrigue of the nature of these worlds built with subtle mythology explained... and explained with an event that's quite obvious. The Native spirituality aspect of The Lodge gave it more character. It felt ancient and old with an otherworldy wisdom in its existence.

If revealing Laura's killer was killing the goose laying the golden eggs then I wonder how explaining BOB/The Lodge didn't kill the other goose in Lynch's mind.

Besides this, I didn't care much for Laura being a golden orb sent down specifically to counteract BOB in some universal battle. It takes the bite out of what was so endearing about the original series in that it was a small town caught up in something beyond the limits, and that someone precious to them was taken away by it without reason - the way it is in reality. TP gave us a visualization of it, it was subtle and simple but understandable. We knew it was evil. It was here before us. Now it feels like Laura is Neo taking on Agent Smith. It's charmless and basic.

I also feel like they're leaning towards retconing the ending of FWWM in Laura finding peace. Looks like she's still in it in some form, reincarnated or not. It's a bummer because that ending is so wonderful that it should be preserved. The ripples of her death should obviously still exist in TP but with her actually being in the town once again.... fuck.

Otherwise I loved it. I loved the Woodsman, even though the ash people only now showing up and being so important in this universe feels a little out of place. The scene where they appear and 'heal' Mr. C was delightfully creepy. The synth plucking of Moonlight Sonata felt grotesque.

I've read a theory on this that the young boy is Gordon Cole and the girl is Judy (the one we won't talk about) and that Bob's bug possession of Judy lead her to commit atrocities that lead Cole to the FBI and his interest in Blue Rose. The picture of the atomic bomb in Cole's office being a reference point.

I liked this Part -- it's obviously very visually arresting and wonderfully cold. But I'm not sold on how it aims to explain BOB and The Black Lodge. BOB was/is a force made even more powerful by being a mystery; he was beyond comprehension, and the only thing that could describe him was that he was "the evil that men do." One of my favorite lines is the one in which he declares, "I have the fury of my own momentum." It was a terrifying declaration because we didn't know what he was. He was as dangerous as the void. He was chaos. And you can't comprehend that, not fully.

Besides defanging BOB as vomit from a burping demon, there's also the creation of The Lodge -- a place that was intriguing because we didn't know why it was, only that it ran concurrently within our reality in a different space. There's The Black Lodge and The White Lodge, and as Hawk recalls in Season 2, it's a place that was referenced by his people long ago with the Owl Cave featuring ancient markings of Lodge symbology, and the Owl Ring going as far back as the colonial era (this being explored in The Secret History of Twin Peaks). This conflicts with what we're shown in Part 8, that The Black Lodge broke through the atom bomb in the 50's and that BOB came about because of it, birthed from a mother. The mystery and intrigue of the nature of these worlds built with subtle mythology explained... and explained with an event that's quite obvious. The Native spirituality aspect of The Lodge gave it more character. It felt ancient and old with an otherworldy wisdom in its existence.

If revealing Laura's killer was killing the goose laying the golden eggs then I wonder how explaining BOB/The Lodge didn't kill the other goose in Lynch's mind.

Besides this, I didn't care much for Laura being a golden orb sent down specifically to counteract BOB in some universal battle. It takes the bite out of what was so endearing about the original series in that it was a small town caught up in something beyond the limits, and that someone precious to them was taken away by it without reason - the way it is in reality. TP gave us a visualization of it, it was subtle and simple but understandable. We knew it was evil. It was here before us. Now it feels like Laura is Neo taking on Agent Smith. It's charmless and basic.

I also feel like they're leaning towards retconing the ending of FWWM in Laura finding peace. Looks like she's still in it in some form, reincarnated or not. It's a bummer because that ending is so wonderful that it should be preserved. The ripples of her death should obviously still exist in TP but with her actually being in the town once again.... fuck.

Otherwise I loved it. I loved the Woodsman, even though the ash people only now showing up and being so important in this universe feels a little out of place. The scene where they appear and 'heal' Mr. C was delightfully creepy. The synth plucking of Moonlight Sonata felt grotesque.

Eh, I don't think this was the creation of the Black Lodge. Things like the Woodsman seemed to have existed before the bomb. BOB's always been a manifestation of malice, but he's never been the only manifestation of malice.

What points to the Woodsman existing before the bomb? I assumed the whole point of them being covered in ash was due to the bomb. I also thought it was apparent that the convenience store scene was them constructing The Black Lodge. Of course it's up in the air as to what it means exactly but that's what it looked like.

BOB is definitely the only spirit shown in Twin Peaks to be truly malicious -- at least to the point to where he can leave the Lodge at will. The only other is spirit is MIKE, but he was never as powerful as BOB. BOB is his own thing.

Edit: Though I suppose it's possible that the ash people were once good spirits only covered in ash after the bomb dropped making them evil and effectively turning the White Lodge into Black.  whut ::spin::

What points to the Woodsman existing before the bomb? I assumed the whole point of them being covered in ash was due to the bomb. I also thought it was apparent that the convenience store scene was them constructing The Black Lodge. Of course it's up in the air as to what it means exactly but that's what it looked like.

BOB is definitely the only spirit shown in Twin Peaks to be truly malicious -- at least to the point to where he can leave the Lodge at will. The only other is spirit is MIKE, but he was never as powerful as BOB. BOB is his own thing.

Edit: Though I suppose it's possible that the ash people were once good spirits only covered in ash after the bomb dropped making them evil and effectively turning the White Lodge into Black.  whut ::spin::

sorry to butt in, but i have some ideas (some of which belong to other people) that kind of deal with this.

one thing that points to the woodsman existing before the bomb is the fact that time (as it regards the lodge and it's inhabitants) doesn't seem to move in a linear, forward progressing fashion.

this seems to hold true to a lesser extent with those who come into contact with the lodge.

for example, laura wrote about annie in her diary. in the original series, laura never met annie. she was dead long before annie got to town.

as for the lodge and it's constuction, the greater mythology of the show points to the lodge having been the subject of native american myth going back for centuries before the town of twin peaks ever existed. (check out mark frost's recently released book)

i also read somewhere else that the woodsmen could be the dead spirits of the woodsmen who died in the fire that killed the log lady's husband. this of course only holds up if, as i just mentioned, time as it pertains to the lodge doesn't move forward as the log lady's husband would have died well after the bomb.

also while im on the subject.

BOB's poem seems to point to this.

"Through the darkness of future past

The magican longs to see

One chance out between two worlds:

Fire walk with me"

it seems to suggest that the lodge sits in another realm or dimension. the bomb (fire) somehow tears an opening between two worlds that allows bob (the magician who longs to see) to get through into our world where he can satiate his longing to "see" or be flesh and blood.

sorry to butt in, but i have some ideas (some of which belong to other people) that kind of deal with this.

one thing that points to the woodsman existing before the bomb is the fact that time (as it regards the lodge and it's inhabitants) doesn't seem to move in a linear, forward progressing fashion.

this seems to hold true to a lesser extent with those who come into contact with the lodge.

for example, laura wrote about annie in her diary. in the original series, laura never met annie. she was dead long before annie got to town.

as for the lodge and it's constuction, the greater mythology of the show points to the lodge having been the subject of native american myth going back for centuries before the town of twin peaks ever existed. (check out mark frost's recently released book)

i also read somewhere else that the woodsmen could be the dead spirits of the woodsmen who died in the fire that killed the log lady's husband. this of course only holds up if, as i just mentioned, time as it pertains to the lodge doesn't move forward as the log lady's husband would have died well after the bomb.

I mentioned the Lodge's Native origin in my initial post on the subject. What do you think the convenience store scene is if not a construction?

I mentioned the Lodge's Native origin in my initial post on the subject. What do you think the convenience store scene is if not a construction?

The convenience store stood before the scene started and I didn't get construction out of it. It looked like they were raiding, possibly damaging the store.

My best guess would be the bomb interacted with it moreso than created.

Thinking back on the Secret Lives, I don't think there were any instances where anyone saw a Lodge spirit outside the portal predating the bomb. There had been people stumbling into it and getting ejected, but - as far as I recall - nobody seeing the entities aside from inside the Lodges. But after, there seem to be a bunch of interacts from the outside.

Perhaps it created a passage from their side rather than strictly from our side?

Also, to clarify, I should correct my previous response. I don't know if they had any express implications the Woodsman existed before the bomb, that was bad wording on my end. I meant the Woodsman didn't seem like it was being created by the bomb, so if he wasn't you could infer he already existed.

Not constructing the store, but constructing the Lodge within the store. The strobe lights are inside the store as well as the smoke.

But after re-watching it, it looks more like they're exiting the store. It's more likely to be the area's portal like Glastonberry Grove or the glass box.

Also I believe they mention giant human-owl sightings in Secret History going back to Lewis & Clark. Not for sure on that, but there's also the matter of the cave drawings depicting The Giant and The Man From Another Place.

It looked to me like they were going in & out of the convenience store as if it were still open. Like they're ghosts haunting the gas station.

I don't think it explained too much. Any conclusions ppl are coming to are based on big assumptions. Like were they creating Laura in the orb or sending her something? And seeing Bobs bomb birth doesn't really answer the question of what he is or where he came from & why. It raises more questions.

Door opens slowly, then opens and closes quickly, smoke appears suddenly inside and exits, then they appear. I don't think that's mere haunting. That's an introduction.

And I mean if they didn't create Laura as an orb and sent her to Washington then like wtf else could it have been? And I'd argue that even though it may not explicitly explain BOB, it does recontextualize him in a way that is less mysterious. It can generate more questions but it's also generating a lot of answers. The jury's still out on whether or not Part 8 will make sense by the time it's all over, but by itself it does tell a narrative and it's very much designed like an origin story.

good ep. plot's starting to come together now that we're at the midpoint.

my only complaint is this: where the fuck is my sherilyn fenn?  >:(

I read somewhere that she signed on late so I wouldn't expect much of her. I wanna know where the fuck Big Ed is.

Dougie is an action hero.  He takes down crime on pure instinct and kratey chops, is good at gambling, and is a beast between the sheets.

Nadine and Doctor Jacoby could be interesting story-wise.  But I wouldn't want to live next door to it.

Dougie is an action hero.  He takes down crime on pure instinct and kratey chops, is good at gambling, and is a beast between the sheets.

Nadine and Doctor Jacoby could be interesting story-wise.  But I wouldn't want to live next door to it.

I saw the episode last night because I missed it the first time around...I swear the karate chop scene, I thought I dreamt that ...and then when he's being ridden by his wife I think my brain shut down

watching 11 right now.

HOLY FUCK that dude sneaking up on the car was creepy as fuck.

hysterical people honking horns evokes emotions in me.

The Dougie stuff is hilarious still for me.  But also it's like - for as dullwitted and wandery as he seems, and how he just kind of floats with the wind, it's super unpredictable what he's actually going to walk into and how he'll get out of it.  ALSO WHAT'S IN THAT BOX I WANNA KNOW

oh it's a pie why did i not guess that?

Another great episode. It's nice when things work out for the casino mobsters.

oh wow I didn't even know this until I looked it up, but the girl with Steven was actually Gersten Hayward (youngest daughter of Doctor Hayward and sister of Donna Hayward from the original series), and apparently that was actually her apartment that becky put a bunch of bullet holes in.

watching the new one now.

I'm struck by - like how quickly I get a little tired of Game of Thrones.  Like Season 7 is shortened.  Only 7 episodes.  And after the first 3, I'm already seeing the commercial cracks and how, for the sake of budget/economy/whatever they're killing off this person, fast-tracking this or that plotline, even though it makes no sense time/space wise, or even sometimes logistically.

Kind of that commercial process of - taking a good solid foundation of a story and characters, and then smacking it with a hammer until it fits into the Teevee.

Twin Peaks, we're 12 episodes in and I just don't want it to end.  Not one moment of this have I sensed that commercial process.  It's been 100% story/art/creative.

This episode, I was also struck by the Ben Horne scene.  I love how, rather than - like having this be "Twin Peaks the Reunion Special" or something, they're just advancing the story in all dimensions.  And it's built on the old show.  It's a continuation of that.  But it is to tv today what that was to tv in the 25 years ago.  So it's - not some extension of that.  it's kind of its own creative thing.

The Ben scene was awesome in that it was neat to see what happened to that character.  In the original series, a man out to control the entire town, with ambitions probably beyond that.  And then 25 years later, there are shreds of that man, but he's much more mellowed and settled.  It's neat that they didn't just be like "well Ben Horne is trying to steal the town again" and instead, he's just this guy who used to be that 25 years ago, but now is a product of the evolution of that space of time between then and now.  It feels organic, but different.  He's sort of the same Ben.  But also different in a neat way.  It'd be interesting to see what tempered him in those 25 years.  One can assume Richard has a bit to do with it.  Jerry becoming increasingly untethered.  His marriage falling apart.  I kind of want to go back and rewatch the back half of season 2 again because I don't remember where they left Ben when the series ended that first time.

Ben was on the good path by the end of Season 2, though he also suffered a blow to the head by Doc Hayward that we have yet seen addressed. I'm sure a lot of what happened there - and some notable others - won't be covered till we get The Final Dossier in October.

I agree and disagree. I think the pacing here is disastrous in the TV format - obviously in account to the fact that it was shot as an 18-hour movie. As such, I don't understand why it wasn't released in full, as each episode feels like it's on the verge of meandering due to it not being tethered to the time slot. You get one bangin Part followed by a bridge Part that feels disappointing and frustrating due to the week long wait.

Other than that, I like that it's this weird. I like that there's a trace DNA of the original without it being obvious.

I think it's perfect in weekly installments.

and I think you're attempting to qualify pacing in a narrow context that doesn't represent this particular show.

Saying Twin Peaks isn't necessarily paced like a normal television show is kind of like saying birds don't seem to have enough gills.