UnevenEdge

I should totally write a Flash Gordon treatment.

Why is it that the best version of Flash Gordon (besides in the comics section of the newspaper) is a nearly 40-year-old Saturday Morning cartoon series? Hell, even the 1980 live-action movie that featured a soundtrack by one of the greatest rock bands of all time, Queen, doesn't compare. I think it's time for somebody in the industry to get it right, and I'm gonna be that guy!

FLASH! AAAAAA-AAAAAAAH!

I don't have any knowledge of Flash Gordon, but your biggest challenge will be remaining loyal while also conforming to a formula that sells.

Don't like the formula? I hope you at least know it well enough to discard it. Especially with the current trend of superhero movies,

any studio on the superhero bandwagon has a history of what works and what doesn't.

Those who aren't on the bandwagon by now likely don't have the same kind of funding, and will likely rely

on what they know is financially successful in order to approach that kind of project. Artistic integrity is great, but it doesn't keep a business alive.

So in turn the tenants of financial success will come around to dictate certain creative elements of your treatment.

It might work in your favor. It might not. But more than any other industry of writing, screenwriting (especially for studios) is one of the most creatively brutal.

I don't have any knowledge of Flash Gordon, but your biggest challenge will be remaining loyal while also conforming to a formula that sells.

Don't like the formula? I hope you at least know it well enough to discard it. Especially with the current trend of superhero movies,

any studio on the superhero bandwagon has a history of what works and what doesn't.

Those who aren't on the bandwagon by now likely don't have the same kind of funding, and will likely rely

on what they know is financially successful in order to approach that kind of project. Artistic integrity is great, but it doesn't keep a business alive.

So in turn the tenants of financial success will come around to dictate certain creative elements of your treatment.

It might work in your favor. It might not. But more than any other industry of writing, screenwriting (especially for studios) is one of the most creatively brutal.

Of course. There is a way, though.