UnevenEdge

I finished Persona 5.

Greeny

lol yea

The only things better about 5 were the gameplay enhancements that made it very slightly more user friendly. You could argue that 4's story wasn't as good (I'm still on the fence about that) but its characters were definitely better. I also felt like the social links in 5 were pretty weak overall. 4's definitely blow them away.

I care about the gameplay so P5 so being better in every way on that is a pretty big advantage imo. And I disagree on 4's cast being better. The social links/confidants are about even, both games had good and boring ones. If there is one thing I'd say is truly better in P4 would be the soundtrack, P5 had some good tracks for sure but P4 had more variety.

I care about the gameplay so P5 so being better in every way on that is a pretty big advantage imo. And I disagree on 4's cast being better. The social links/confidants are about even, both games had good and boring ones. If there is one thing I'd say is truly better in P4 would be the soundtrack, P5 had some good tracks for sure but P4 had more variety.

I mean, the gameplay is mostly flipping through menus so I don't think saying it was better in every way is exactly true. They basically made it easier to bring up an attack that an enemy was weak against just by tapping R1, and they gave you a dash button. Like I said, minor tweaks that make the game slightly more user friendly. And there was plenty of jank with the stealth mechanics. I lost count of how many times I would flick the stick to shift around the corner when I was in cover only to jump out of cover and get ambushed from behind.

As far as characters and social links go, that's all a matter of opinion. I think Kanji's SL was the best I've seen in the series and I just think most of the others in P4 were better than most of the ones in P5. P5 had some really good ones like Kawakami and Futaba, but the rest felt sub-par to me.

We do agree that 4's soundtrack was much better though.

I would hope it would be better than 4.

For all the hype of Persona being a storytelling marvel of gaming, 4 (the only one I've really played at all) was just so badly written.

I don't think the storytelling is what made them popular so much as it was the characters themselves. They're also revered for sticking extremely close to the source material when translated into English. They don't lose their "Japaneseness" like a lot of Japanese games do when released over here.

I don't think the storytelling is what made them popular so much as it was the characters themselves. They're also revered for sticking extremely close to the source material when translated into English. They don't lose their "Japaneseness" like a lot of Japanese games do when released over here.

The characters were nothing to write home about, either. I could deal with weak story if the characters were good.

They just weren't.