UnevenEdge

Donation Button

we finally added one.  I stuck it in the main forum banner block because that was the easiest way for me to do it.

"AwesomeJamInk" is Zintar's paypal biz acct, he is the one handling the donation/money part.

the plan is whatever gifts to the donate button will go to server expenses, if we have more after that, it'll sit in the account until we need it for something site related, such as software purchases/upgrades and things of that nature.

this just makes me assume UE is being shut down soon :|

nope, in fact it's kinda the opposite.  I've been dragging my feet getting a donation button up until we were maybe closer to a more solid server situation.

• 2 weeks later...

might do Patreon for some creative stuff.

but the site donation thing is pretty straight forward.  If people care enough to, they'll donate, if they don't, they won't and I see no reason to tie any bells on there or - like try to trick people or "incentivize" people.  I sort of like it just simple.

Besides that, any incentive we would provide in a tiered rewards situation are basically just things we should just toss up on here anyway.  So - why should I use content that I'd already just intended to use, or that people request, etc, to pry extra money out of people.

It just wrecks the focus for me.

Basically, I just want to do stuff.  I don't want to have to worry about "well if I do this, no one will like me and i will get no moneys" or "everyone likes this! I'll do more of that to get money!".  I like media, I like having fun, I like gaming and writing and stuff like that.  I really don't much give a shit about money, or monetizing or tiered rewards.

Also when this came up Zintar said he'd done it before on another site.  So he had everything all set up.  I kind of drug my feet on it, kept putting it off.  I think the first time members started bringing it up was back on the Proboard.  So we just went that route also because why not?  It's not something I care about or want to mess with or spend a lot of time on, and Zintar was willing to handle it and was already set up so just did that.

I should look at Patreon, that's actually where one of the AS admins went when they left the AS.Com site.  I'm pretty sure she's still there and she was pretty cool so the site is probably worth checking out.

Why would you not go Patreon?  Having tiered rewards would have increased donations.  Instead of the assumed "donate for nothing" vibe this whole thing is getting.

Patreon's designed for content creators who are able to produce bonus incentives for fans to keep donating.  It doesn't really make any sense at all for a paying-forum-bills context.

• 2 months later...