UnevenEdge

fish tanks

Who has fish? I'm cycling my second tank. I have a 10 gallon with some tetras in it, and plan on my new 20gal being a community tank. I semi follow the walstad method, and keep it low tech. For awhile my 10gal was no tech, but that's so hard to maintain in a small tank I now have a filter, heater, and air pump.

So far in my 20 I have ramshorn and Malaysian trumpet snails (got them when I transferred plants fromy 10g) and I put some seed shrimp in there. Plan on introducing shrimp, and then corys, and then maybe one big guy.

Please don't depress me with current stories of a Betta or goldfish in a one gallon bowl with no tech, but when we were kids it's not your fault if you like won a goldfish at the fair and had no idea what to do or w/e

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

no tank. just these depressing goldfish/coy things.

20211014_170311(0).thumb.jpg.d4756117a074273e44045f7f25a41409.jpg

Looks like carps in a pond which is here they belong, assuming it's not practically a puddle, so I am down with this

Like Disco, I have a Koi pond (it's a roughly 600 gallon concrete pool).  I don't have aquarium fish because I never had any luck with them, but a lot of the things that don't work on an aquarium are "easier" (as in I can throw money at) to implement.  I could never get the filtration right on the aquarium and ended up getting algae all over the sides.  Don't have to worry about cleaning the glass with a pond and the carp eat the algae that grows on the side.  Also, heating the water isn't necessary with carp - they prefer colder water - so I don't need a heater.  Other than that, the same basic process applies - you have to recirculate the water at a certain rate to keep the water healthy without having to do a water exchange, which can kill fish quickly.  I'm going to implement some flora to pull more nutrients out of the water, though the water clarity is perfect as is.  You get a better understanding of filtration when you deal with it on a larger scale:  my pond has three-stage filtration, two mechanical and one UV, and adding a waterfall adds gravity to trap the remaining floating algae before dropping crystal clear water backing into the pond.  The waterfall adds aeration into the water in addition to the bubbler I have at the back side of the pond.  All-in-all It's worked really well.

• Like 1

My grandpa had a really pretty koi pond in the backyard. They were already there when they moved in, and so he would care for the fish. Very natural and very easy to maintain, but once they naturally died off other the years, they didn't replace them.

Apparently he kept fish a long time ago, and had some big tanks. 

• Like 1