UnevenEdge

Thoughts on toonami 2023?

22 hours ago, Jman said:

Meanwhile Netflix is just “Oh, BTW.  Devil May Cry anime.”

How do you compete with this on the originals front?  

Hell, if you want to go “oh, but what about linear?”  Pluto TV, which is free, has several 24 hour anime channels, right now airing stuff ranging from JoJo to Sailor Moon Crystal.  This block is surviving on goodwill from yesteryear, but even now when people hear Toonami, they might start to think “that thing I watched as a kid” or in a few years, “that thing my mom and dad watched”.

Most of the anime offerings on PlutoTV channels are subbed besides Yu-Gi-Oh but RetroCrush has some old dubs. Crunchyroll should really make a FAST channel with their massive backlog. HiDive has one.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 9:30 AM, Sketch said:

Most of the anime offerings on PlutoTV channels are subbed besides Yu-Gi-Oh but RetroCrush has some old dubs. Crunchyroll should really make a FAST channel with their massive backlog. HiDive has one.

Well would you look at that... Crunchyroll finally made a FAST Channel. Though it's not on PlutoTV or TubiTV (neither is HiDive but I digress). The big deal is that it's coming to Amazon FreeVee next week but beyond that it will be on Roku Channel, LG Channels and Vizio WatchFree+. It's at least on Roku and LG right now.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/news/announcements/2023/10/11/crunchyroll-launches-24-7-anime-channel-in-the-us

The list of shows promised to air there includes more recent series like Sugar Apple Fairy Tale, Ranking of Kings, Moriarty the Patriot, Arifrueta, To Your Eternity, and Horimiya along with older series like Psycho-Pass and ASA alumni Code Geass. That's what's listed in the PR at least but there's several more shows that are already on the channel including Ningen Fushin, Requieum of the Rose King, Plunderer, Angels of Death, Bofuri, Harukana Receive and Soul Eater. Code Geass hasn't been shown yet and to my knowledge neither have Psycho-Pass, Ranking of Kings, Moriarty the Patriot, To Your Eternity or Horimiya. Several other series are being regularly promoted on the channel during breaks including Yu Yu Hakusho, Log Horizon, Welcome to Demon School Iruma-Kun, A Couple of Cookoos, Radiant and Eureka 7 AO. Seriously E7 AO, not the original... just... why?

I was going to berate them for launching in October without many thematically appropriate anime but they are at least airing Soul Eater and Angels of Death right now and probably will start Iruma-kun soon.

They also run promos for Attack on Titan: The Final Season and Jujutsu Kaisen but those specifically plug the CR app and it's massive library. It's unlikely they'll be showing either. You'd think they'd promote Spy x Family, Demon Slayer and Chainsaw Man at bare minimum but so far none have had promos.

I'm not that impressed with the scheduling so far because with that huge library at their disposal it's a waste to only show a handful of series per day in 4 episode chunks that repeat a few times. I tuned in much of yesterday and saw bits of Ningen Fushin, Angels of Death, Sugar Apple Fairy Tale and Requiem of the Rose King and most of the four episodes aired for Arifrueta, Plunderer and Bofuri. I checked a few times and know that Bofuri and Requiem of the Rose King have aired at least 3 times in the past 24 hours, possibly 4. And have seen everything but Ningen Fushin show up at least twice and it was the first four episodes every time any show aired. It's honestly a lot better for variety sake than the way HiDive's FAST will straight up marathon a show for 10+ episodes but it also means it will take a while to get through even a 12 episode show if they keep repeating the same 4 episodes.

It's also rather odd that they are already airing several shows they didn't mention in the press release while not airing several shows that were in the press release. Of all things to leave out of the PR... Soul Eater and Yu Yu Hakusho? Those would surely catch some interest.

Currently there's 3-4 ads breaks per episodes usually right after the OP, 1 at the eyecatch, 1 shortly before the episode ends and sometimes an additional spot. Annoyingly the additional one can pop up so close to another break that you literally have a few minutes of episode before another break happens. They fill that space with their "we'll be right back" bumps for 30 seconds to 2 minutes, their custom promos and some 3rd party ads (there wasn't any on day 1 but they started today).

In a way it's a better version of Neon Alley that doesn't cost any money to watch but the presentation is pretty bland even if they make amusing nods to many anime tropes in their "we'll be back" bumps. They put good effort into at least some of the promos while others feel really flat but given they've made about a dozen or so promos for the first batch I suppose they can't all be winners. The AoT promo and the Radiant promo are probably the best ones and use good music selections. The JJK one feels so generic and the Code Geass one feels like they don't know what show they're promoting. Actually the two slightly different E7 AO promos sell the show to me rather well. Someone really went to bat for that polarizing sequel. They made three Yu Yu Hakusho promos already, two focused on the first arc with a longer and shorter version and one focusing on the Dark Tournament. That's neat.

Anyway... this is a thing now and while it might not actually make shows more difficult for Toonami to license it could very well close off a much larger portion of the CR backlog. Now anything CR doesn't value too highly can be used as additional content for their FAST channel. That can surely affect prices and perceived value for any of their titles that are currently underutilized.

https://x.com/Sketch1984/status/1712588226811310434?s=20

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Now we see the year will finish out strong but we can also assess the cost of that.

Was Demon Slayer the show they were teasing back in Spring? It's a reasonable theory but not necessarily the case.

Other reasonable theories are that they were expecting 3 months worth of Attack on Titan this year and they were probably banking on Witch from Mercury, Bleach and possibly other shows. They might be able to get them eventually and I doubt they've given up on trying to get them.

They probably didn't have a lot of money to play with if they were saving a bunch for Demon Slayer or Bleach. I can understand going after big shows but they seem to be trying to live beyond their means instead of figuring out a way to live within their means. Hard to believe they couldn't get anything from Sentai, Discotek or Viz. The block looks healthy now but that's not likely to last if they keep doing what they have been doing.

The massive amount of inactivity was frustrating and a short burst of new programming in the last two months doesn't make up for that but it does put it closer in line with prior years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sketch said:

The massive amount of inactivity was frustrating and a short burst of new programming in the last two months doesn't make up for that but it does put it closer in line with prior years.

I agree and I wish they understood that the block airs for 45ish weeks per year, and almost all 45 of those weeks need to be decent. The way things are, 7 weeks will be slightly above average and 38 were subpar to downright garbage. Occasional spurts of activity don’t make up for stretches of bad that are this long. 

They are going to get tested immediately when the new year starts as they will have a slot to fill. Even if more Demon Slayer is on the table, that makes me nervous for later in the year where instead of backloading the budget in 2023, they will frontload it in 2024 and we will have another fall stretch of nothing. 

They definitely need to get more realistic on what they can get. I don’t think they just wanted WfM or Bleach, they probably put money aside thinking it was a sure thing. And now with Mugen Train airing, we know that no matter how many times they are told no, they keep trying to get the same things. An entire year without a single fresh title, just sequel after sequel. 

They have plenty of schedule filler crutches for next year too. Scavengers, Superman S2, Rick and Morty anime, that’s 30+ weeks of content right there. Then there are originals Ninja Kamui, Lazarus, Uzumaki(lol), I think the first two are 12 episodes each. That’s enough backlogged stuff to coast on for the whole year while only picking up 1-2 shows and saving most of the years budget for a futile play for Dragon Ball Diaper. The only major shift on the lineup we will see is Naruto will no longer be around to be reliable schedule filler. In theory, that’s good news, an extra slot to play with to cycle more content. In reality, they will most likely piss away the opportunity. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It IS kind of strange that the official Toonami Facebook page hasn't posted a schedule update since November 1st for the 11th and 18th, although the lineup was identical for the 25th and we pretty much already know will be  for December 2nd and 9th.

...but will it be for December 16th? What if they decide to air something unexpected after Demon Slayer Mugen Train's finale, like the AOT FC Part 2 special? That night COULD be just DSMT, AOT finale, and Episode 6 of IGPX Remastered.

But more likely than not it won't be, and the Dec. 16th lineup will be the same as 11/18, 11/25, 12/2, and 12/9.

7 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It IS kind of strange that the official Toonami Facebook page hasn't posted a schedule update since November 1st for the 11th and 18th, although the lineup was identical for the 25th and we pretty much already know will be  for December 2nd and 9th.

...but will it be for December 16th? What if they decide to air something unexpected after Demon Slayer Mugen Train's finale, like the AOT FC Part 2 special? That night COULD be just DSMT, AOT finale, and Episode 6 of IGPX Remastered.

But more likely than not it won't be, and the Dec. 16th lineup will be the same as 11/18, 11/25, 12/2, and 12/9.

I mean, if the schedule isn’t changing, it’s not surprising they aren’t publishing updates, since there aren’t any. If they are going off script for the 16th, (I don’t think they will), that’s something we wouldn’t learn about till 2 weeks ahead of time. 

With Demon Slayer’s continuation put off till Jan 13th, they obviously have something on deck for the 6th, more than likely AoT part 2. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...