UnevenEdge

One Piece Episode #628 Discussion

22 minutes ago, Roymustang1990 said:

Lover her too!!!. she's a great all around character. Brains,beauty,etc. A shame her series didn't  get debut on toonami yet for some reason

Screenshot_20230819-192721~3.png

Completely agree, love how they did her character, brains, beauty, and great all around character with the writing of what she does as captain and everything she has to deal with over the course of the story.

One of my favorites in the show and easily one of my favorite captains (and my favorite of the gundam series captains).

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Completely agree, love how they did her character, brains, beauty, and great all around character with the writing of what she does as captain and everything she has to deal with over the course of the story.

One of my favorites in the show and easily one of my favorite captains (and my favorite of the gundam series captains).

Though,sorry to kill the buzz DM ,I've only seen the first season of Gundam 00 and  the first 3 episodes of season 2 so far ,but I assume the second season   will also hold up and end splendidly.

But Yeah,sumeragi was a character i ended up liking right away(and took the spot of being my favorite female character in Gundam history,I'm just not sure if sumeragi is my favorite female captain yet haha).

I also liked Lock on,Stratum,Feldt,Louise and her boyfriend,etc. So far I'm enjoying the direction of their character arcs in the second season.

I'm planning to watch the other Gundam animes soon like(wing,seed,etc) and re-watching G-gundam and SD Gundam and see  how they hold up as well in 2023.

I think 00 might end up being my favorite out of all the Gundam anime.

Seems like a series with alot of great females 

Edited by Roymustang1990
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Roymustang1990 said:

Though,sorry to kill the buzz DM ,I've only seen the first season of Gundam 00 and  the first 3 episodes of season 2 so far ,but I assume the second season   will also hold up and end splendidly.

But Yeah,sumeragi was a character i ended up liking right away(and took the spot of being my favorite female character in Gundam history,I'm just not sure if sumeragi is my favorite female captain yet haha).

I also liked Lock on,Stratum,Feldt,Louise and her boyfriend,etc. So far I'm enjoying the direction of their character arcs in the second season.

I'm planning to watch the other Gundam animes soon like(wing,seed,etc) and re-watching G-gundam and SD Gundam and see  how they hold up as well in 2023.

I think 00 might end up being my favorite out of all the Gundam anime.

Seems like a series with alot of great females 

Haha, no problem, if you finished the whole first season and first three of S2 then you've seen quite a bit of her already even if you haven't finished it yet. Great season and I thought they did plenty of good stuff to build up her character and of course her battle plans and some of that crazy stuff toward the end of the season. Season 1 probably was indeed the tightest executed, like some always shout about, but I still very much liked season 2 and the movie myself. I hope you enjoy them whenever you continue since you haven't seen them yet and still love 00 in the end.

And for her I think they did a pretty good job with how they gradually pulled Sumeragi back in over the course of those first 3 eps of season 2 and making her mark once again with her spur of the moment plan in ep 2 and then that epic plan in the third one to break into the prison!

Yeah, imo, lots of good characters, really enjoyed the main team and crew (that end of season 1 stuff was nailbiting!), it's got a really good large cast and arcs and interesting and unexpected twists like the change in roles for even characters like saji and Louise.

Nice, you know I need to re-watch Wing again and see how it holds up too, same with G-Gundam, really liked those two back in the day and now it's been a while since I last rewatched them and I have the remastered blu-rays now.

I think it's still more or less my favorite Gundam. While UC is pretty great as such a large scale multi-series main universe, man I loved 00 so much and it really fell into place for me even with "little things" like how I kind of prefer the "team" angle of 00 and Wing over the more solo pilot focus, so it's kind of like a hugely refined Wing and it feels the most modern in story, politcs, etc of the Gundam shows so far (including even entries that have aired after it like IBO and G-Witch). I guess that makes sense also because it's the one particularly framed as taking place in "our near future", even the calendar timeline uses ours in this one.

Yeah, lots of good ones and we also got a particularly good new female pilot in Soma actually effecting battles with her fighting skills for a change.

Yup, up there as one of my favorite female characters in the franchise and my fav Gundam captain so far thanks to the combination of really liking her character and that this show did one of the better jobs, at least imo, toward implying the importance of and displaying and outlining her strategies more often than not over the course of the show (and strategy/counter-strategy). So she's up there with some of my other favorite show captains but I haven't really written them out or anything to really place her.

Wherever she ends up on your favorite female captains scale, always good to see another fan loving Sumeragi :D 

Who are you thinking of as your other front runners?

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2023 at 1:27 AM, DangerMouse said:

Haha, no problem, if you finished the whole first season and first three of S2 then you've seen quite a bit of her already even if you haven't finished it yet. Great season and I thought they did plenty of good stuff to build up her character and of course her battle plans and some of that crazy stuff toward the end of the season. Season 1 probably was indeed the tightest executed, like some always shout about, but I still very much liked season 2 and the movie myself. I hope you enjoy them whenever you continue since you haven't seen them yet and still love 00 in the end.

And for her I think they did a pretty good job with how they gradually pulled Sumeragi back in over the course of those first 3 eps of season 2 and making her mark once again with her spur of the moment plan in ep 2 and then that epic plan in the third one to break into the prison!

Yeah, imo, lots of good characters, really enjoyed the main team and crew (that end of season 1 stuff was nailbiting!), it's got a really good large cast and arcs and interesting and unexpected twists like the change in roles for even characters like saji and Louise.

Nice, you know I need to re-watch Wing again and see how it holds up too, same with G-Gundam, really liked those two back in the day and now it's been a while since I last rewatched them and I have the remastered blu-rays now.

I think it's still more or less my favorite Gundam. While UC is pretty great as such a large scale multi-series main universe, man I loved 00 so much and it really fell into place for me even with "little things" like how I kind of prefer the "team" angle of 00 and Wing over the more solo pilot focus, so it's kind of like a hugely refined Wing and it feels the most modern in story, politcs, etc of the Gundam shows so far (including even entries that have aired after it like IBO and G-Witch). I guess that makes sense also because it's the one particularly framed as taking place in "our near future", even the calendar timeline uses ours in this one.

Yeah, lots of good ones and we also got a particularly good new female pilot in Soma actually effecting battles with her fighting skills for a change.

Yup, up there as one of my favorite female characters in the franchise and my fav Gundam captain so far thanks to the combination of really liking her character and that this show did one of the better jobs, at least imo, toward implying the importance of and displaying and outlining her strategies more often than not over the course of the show (and strategy/counter-strategy). So she's up there with some of my other favorite show captains but I haven't really written them out or anything to really place her.

Wherever she ends up on your favorite female captains scale, always good to see another fan loving Sumeragi :D 

Who are you thinking of as your other front runners?

Disclaimer: Sorry if I got any information wrong about any of the Gundam series here ,DM,I just starting getting back into it after giving Gundam 00 a try just 3 weeks ago and now currently on episode 10 of  its season two. I'm hardly a Gundam aficionado like u DM,at least knowledge wise,at this very moment.

I haven't seriously watched a Gundam show in it's entirety since the early 2000s where I watched G Gundam and SD Gundam and unexpectedly drop Gundam Seed. So,my knowledge and information on them are pretty sour at the moment.

But yeah,That's interesting to know that Gundam 00 aspired from Gundam Wing. I did see Gundam Wing back on in early late 90s - early 2000s toonami,though I can't unfortunately remember much of what I watched at that time... due to being too young to comprehend and enjoy the complex storyline and characters that involve war crime,politics,etc(so Gundam wing is heavily due for a second re-watch by me in this age and day where I've become more open to watching complex storylines and characters)  . As opposed to G gundam,where the storyline was more simple to follow due to it being more Shounen(being more about action than plot like having a tournament arc) than the rest of the it's Gundam counterparts.

Yeah the twist  and role change between Saji and Louise caught me off guard,never imagine  they would  be fighting each other in the second season. Season 2 is  also going about Sumeragi's character arc well so far as there's still unexplored  territory to be learn about like her past  character interactions with Kati and Billy. Looking forward to diving in that more.

Soma in 00 is so far, the only female combatant I've seen so far that we seen fight(reminiscent to her mobile suit from what ur saying,dm) 

I can't unfortunately remember much about the other great female Gundam captains your recalling. I would have to watch more Gundam series to give u a better list of my female Gundam frontrunners list,DM

So far,the only choice off from my frontrunners list besides sumeragi is ,Rain Mikamura , from G Gundam,but it's only from what i remember in the past. She seems like a way cooler character than I thought compared to the days(early 2000s I was a kid) ,from reading her trivia on a couple of  top 10 female gundam list. Can't wait to revisit Rain.  Relena and Dorothy from Gundam wing look like good female characters to re-visit too.

Sumeragi still remains my favorite gundam female character and captain at the moment.haha

I'm excited to go back and rewatch and try new Gundam like 00. Gundam sure hits you different when you watched it as adult now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roymustang1990 said:

Disclaimer: Sorry if I got any information wrong about any of the Gundam series here ,DM,I just starting getting back into it after giving Gundam 00 a try just 3 weeks ago and now currently on episode 10 of  its season two. I'm hardly a Gundam aficionado like u DM,at least knowledge wise,at this very moment.

I haven't seriously watched a Gundam show in it's entirety since the early 2000s where I watched G Gundam and SD Gundam and unexpectedly drop Gundam Seed. So,my knowledge and information on them are pretty sour at the moment.

But yeah,That's interesting to know that Gundam 00 aspired from Gundam Wing. I did see Gundam Wing back on in early late 90s - early 2000s toonami,though I can't unfortunately remember much of what I watched at that time... due to being too young to comprehend and enjoy the complex storyline and characters that involve war crime,politics,etc(so Gundam wing is heavily due for a second re-watch by me in this age and day where I've become more open to watching complex storylines and characters)  . As opposed to G gundam,where the storyline was more simple to follow due to it being more Shounen(being more about action than plot like having a tournament arc) than the rest of the it's Gundam counterparts.

Yeah the twist  and role change between Saji and Louise caught me off guard,never imagine  they would  be fighting each other in the second season. Season 2 is  also going about Sumeragi's character arc well so far as there's still unexplored  territory to be learn about like her past  character interactions with Kati and Billy. Looking forward to diving in that more.

Soma in 00 is so far, the only female combatant I've seen so far that we seen fight(reminiscent to her mobile suit from what ur saying,dm) 

I can't unfortunately remember much about the other great female Gundam captains your recalling. I would have to watch more Gundam series to give u a better list of my female Gundam frontrunners list,DM

So far,the only choice off from my frontrunners list besides sumeragi is ,Rain Mikamura , from G Gundam,but it's only from what i remember in the past. She seems like a way cooler character than I thought compared to the days(early 2000s I was a kid) ,from reading her trivia on a couple of  top 10 female gundam list. Can't wait to revisit Rain.  Relena and Dorothy from Gundam wing look like good female characters to re-visit too.

Sumeragi still remains my favorite gundam female character and captain at the moment.haha

I'm excited to go back and rewatch and try new Gundam like 00. Gundam sure hits you different when you watched it as adult now.

Very cool, good reason to give the franchise another go now. Not to take anything away from G Gundam either, loved that one too.

Yeah, I dunno if it really aspired from Wing but on the surface it's the one it probably at least superficially shares the most DNA with, such as a focus specifically on a main team of Gundam pilots rather than just individual pilots, team based operations, etc.

Oh, actually I'd say there really hasn't been too many female captains within Gundam so it's not like there's a lot of choice, but like we were saying as she's also one of my favorite characters in 00 overall, in addition to being the main captain of the series, she's a pretty easy choice for me, like there was Murrue from Seed and another female captain in Seed Destiny, and a few others, but the Seed shows were just average to me I like a lot of other Gundams more than Seed. That said, even if there were more competition I'd imagine Sumeragi would likely still rank extremely high for me since she's one of my favorite Gundam ship captains (like Bright) so far, male or female, even having seen most of the shows so far.

I do wish there were more female combatants in 00, like you said there aren't many, but at least Soma was often a highlight in a lot of the battles she participated in for most of the run.

Yeah, now that I think about it, Rain's role kinda reminds me a lot of Winry. The lack of female fighters until late with Allenby I remember being kinda disappointing, but I do remember on my last rewatch a few years ago thinking they did a pretty good job with Rain for a support character now that I catch more of her stuff. I think I'm due for a Wing re-watch as well, it's been years and I'm curious how it still holds up, and maybe this time I'll be able to follow some of the middle section better.

Agreed, there's another layer of enjoyment to many of the Gundam shows once you're into these kinds of stories.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 1

• Top Gun unpinned this topic