UnevenEdge

Two more June schedules revealed, still no new shows

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

but having more cash for acquisitions isn't a crazy demand....if toonami is going to continue moving forward then they need more funding otherwise more reruns are in our future

it's the only part of adultswim that regularly presents content and not just acquired reruns

They have the funding. The problem is Demarco wants a Lamborghini when he has the budget for a Honda. Rather than accept the Lamborghini is impractical and unobtainable under the current circumstances, he would rather just walk over being seen in something that isn’t a Lamborghini. 

Just now, Toonamiguy321 said:

They have the funding. The problem is Demarco wants a Lamborghini when he has the budget for a Honda. Rather than accept the Lamborghini is impractical and unobtainable under the current circumstances, he would rather just walk over being seen in something that isn’t a Lamborghini. 

Look i know you think demarco has no brains and is the dumbest person around but i think pinning this all on him is stupid when he isn't even captain of the toonami team anymore

That's Gill Austin and the only reason everyone dumps on demarco is because Austin doesn't give a shit about social media and avoids posting on it

somebody has to be the PR Person and since The Team Leader doesn't want to do it....it falls on demarco to keep doing that

but since he's still the pr person  people think demarco controls everything about toonami and is why everything is the way it is right now because he insists on trying to acquire every expensive crunchyroll show

without any proof whatsoever

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

It does drive me crazy when fans still justify the lack of pickups but saying “well they can’t get anything popular”. We’ve been past that for 2 years now, they’ve had ample time to adjust and it seems like they still hold out hope that CR is going to magically turn around and run back into Toonami’s arms. If we’ve seen anything from them the last few months- they are a company that doesn’t GAF about anything except dominating the market. Even doing shitty things to their own talent to get there. Why would they all of a sudden care about helping Toonami? 

They need to stop expecting a miracle with the big titles and just get SOMETHING that’s not a rerun from another source. Try it out. People will still defend this and say “well what if the ratings are bad and the block gets cancelled? They can’t just get anything!”

IMO Then that’s what happens, we can either try an interesting block and fail or continue in a state of perpetual mediocrity and reruns. 

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

Look i know you think demarco has no brains and is the dumbest person around but i think pinning this all on him is stupid when he isn't even captain of the toonami team anymore

That's Gill Austin and the only reason everyone dumps on demarco is because Austin doesn't give a shit about social media and avoids posting on it

somebody has to be the PR Person and since The Team Leader doesn't want to do it....it falls on demarco to keep doing that

but since he's still the pr person  people think demarco controls everything about toonami and is why everything is the way it is right now because he insists on trying to acquire every expensive crunchyroll show

without any proof whatsoever

You can repeat this over and over again but all evidence we see shows Demarco still has significant involvement when it comes to actually acquiring the shows. He has even outright admitted to it. If the bumpers aren’t updated or someone airs the Dr Stone promo early, that’s not his department anymore. Show acquisition is. If they don’t fit his extremely narrow parameters, he won’t touch them. 

The proof is in the pudding, or in this case, lack of pudding. We are officially at the halfway point of 2023, with a whopping two shows under our belt. Both of which are Crunchyroll owned sequels. Sure looks like Demarco is only going for the known Crunchyroll properties to me. I’d love to see him prove me wrong though. Maybe when Food Wars ends. 

And let’s say you are right, Gill really is fully in charge. Nothing about what I said changes, then it’s Gill that wants a Lamborghini when he can only afford a Honda. It’s been this way for years, they are terrified of risk, even if the only options available are taking a risk or cutting slots/reruns. 

57 minutes ago, brianycpht said:

They need to stop expecting a miracle with the big titles and just get SOMETHING that’s not a rerun from another source. Try it out. People will still defend this and say “well what if the ratings are bad and the block gets cancelled? They can’t just get anything!”

I fear the rare wins like Dr Stone just validate this tactic to them. Crunchyroll keeps them on the hook just enough, nothing too popular, and most definitely nothing that isn’t a sequel. But occasionally something so they feel like CR is still a willing source of content. 

Ratings are meaningless at this point. Especially with adult swim expanding. It’s gonna become a norm for patches of AS to do shitty, so why not play around and try to find some new things that work?

38 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

You can repeat this over and over again but all evidence we see shows Demarco still has significant involvement when it comes to actually acquiring the shows. He has even outright admitted to it. If the bumpers aren’t updated or someone airs the Dr Stone promo early, that’s not his department anymore. Show acquisition is. If they don’t fit his extremely narrow parameters, he won’t touch them. 

The proof is in the pudding, or in this case, lack of pudding. We are officially at the halfway point of 2023, with a whopping two shows under our belt. Both of which are Crunchyroll owned sequels. Sure looks like Demarco is only going for the known Crunchyroll properties to me. I’d love to see him prove me wrong though. Maybe when Food Wars ends. 

And let’s say you are right, Gill really is fully in charge. Nothing about what I said changes, then it’s Gill that wants a Lamborghini when he can only afford a Honda. It’s been this way for years, they are terrified of risk, even if the only options available are taking a risk or cutting slots/reruns. 

I fear the rare wins like Dr Stone just validate this tactic to them. Crunchyroll keeps them on the hook just enough, nothing too popular, and most definitely nothing that isn’t a sequel. But occasionally something so they feel like CR is still a willing source of content. 

Ratings are meaningless at this point. Especially with adult swim expanding. It’s gonna become a norm for patches of AS to do shitty, so why not play around and try to find some new things that work?

Toonami gets these shows through the Japanese Production Studios  that's who makes the call not crunchyroll

Toonami got one piece through toei and they likely got mha S6 through Toho

so please stop looking at it as "Crunchyroll is locking them out" or "They are too busy trying to work out a deal with crunchyroll"

when they aren't the ones who toonami has to get the okay from...

also toonami is run by a very small skeleton crew nothing about them says "We Have Enough Funding To Consistently Acquire shows without much trouble"

they couldn't even air the dr stone S3 episode 2 promo without making a mistake and that mistake was airing it before episode one even concluded....then that promo was never seen for the rest of the night

Edited by CountFrylock

9 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Toonami gets these shows through the Japanese Production Studios  that's who makes the call not crunchyroll

Toonami got one piece through toei and they likely got mha S6 through Toho

so please stop looking at it as "Crunchyroll is locking them out" or "They are too busy trying to work out a deal with crunchyroll"

If they have to go to the Japanese side to coax them into giving them a show, that means Crunchyroll is blocking the traditional path of acquiring the show. 

19 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

they couldn't even air the dr stone S3 episode 2 promo without making a mistake and that mistake was airing it before episode one even concluded....then that promo was never seen for the rest of the night

they also got the time wrong

2 hours ago, korosu said:

“We hope so” instead of “yes”. 

I said this in December when he originally said that, until we see a Crunchyroll owned pickup that isn’t a sequel, I don’t believe for a second Crunchyroll is being cooperative. Lot of gaps on this years schedule that make it pretty hard to believe Crunchyroll is working with the block outside of the absolute minimum. That’s not even to mention the current unexplained limbo AoT is in. 

Assuming FLCL and Uzumaki are still on track for 2023, this Food Wars replacement is their last acquisition of 2023. The lead slot is spoken for, and Dr Stone is 2 cour. The only possible curveball would be if they decide to stop One Piece after Punk Hazard in roughly 2 months, though that’s a longshot. So if they want to prove Crunchyroll is working with them, now is their last shot till next year. 

9 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

“We hope so” instead of “yes”. 

I said this in December when he originally said that, until we see a Crunchyroll owned pickup that isn’t a sequel, I don’t believe for a second Crunchyroll is being cooperative. Lot of gaps on this years schedule that make it pretty hard to believe Crunchyroll is working with the block outside of the absolute minimum. That’s not even to mention the current unexplained limbo AoT is in. 

Assuming FLCL and Uzumaki are still on track for 2023, this Food Wars replacement is their last acquisition of 2023. The lead slot is spoken for, and Dr Stone is 2 cour. The only possible curveball would be if they decide to stop One Piece after Punk Hazard in roughly 2 months, though that’s a longshot. So if they want to prove Crunchyroll is working with them, now is their last shot till next year. 

I don’t believe it yet either 

I have a feeling anything that was airing before the merger has some kind deal set when they were Funimation. But while Funimation would let Toonami air a show 2 weeks after them, CR is pushing it to 6-8 weeks 

I remember after that announced MHA, some on Twitter were like “haha look at all you fools who said they can’t get CR titles. If you don’t work at Toonami you don’t know anything so keep your mouth shut”

Well, Demarco publicly stating the problems with Sony is where we get the ideas from. We really wouldn’t know that if not for what he’s saying. Also, like you said, until we get a non sequel title from them, I don’t think of them as anything other than a forced partner 

1 hour ago, brianycpht said:

I don’t believe it yet either 

I have a feeling anything that was airing before the merger has some kind deal set when they were Funimation. But while Funimation would let Toonami air a show 2 weeks after them, CR is pushing it to 6-8 weeks 

I remember after that announced MHA, some on Twitter were like “haha look at all you fools who said they can’t get CR titles. If you don’t work at Toonami you don’t know anything so keep your mouth shut”

Well, Demarco publicly stating the problems with Sony is where we get the ideas from. We really wouldn’t know that if not for what he’s saying. Also, like you said, until we get a non sequel title from them, I don’t think of them as anything other than a forced partner 

The original question was also vague and open to interpretation, a Demarco favorite as it allows him to tell the truth and let the community exaggerate its extent. The person asked if things improved “at all”. If Crunchyroll said, ok we will deal with you on sequel seasons and nothing more, that would still count as improvement as the question asked. It is then the community who lets their imagination run wild and suggest Crunchyroll has their door wide open with red carpet and caviar for Toonami, which quite obviously has not been the case. 

I’d love nothing more to be proven wrong about all this and have Demarco drop a Crunchyroll owned hit on us in the coming weeks. But for the moment, we haven’t seen one bit of evidence that could be a possibility, so I don’t consider it to be one. 

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

The original question was also vague and open to interpretation, a Demarco favorite as it allows him to tell the truth and let the community exaggerate its extent. The person asked if things improved “at all”. If Crunchyroll said, ok we will deal with you on sequel seasons and nothing more, that would still count as improvement as the question asked. It is then the community who lets their imagination run wild and suggest Crunchyroll has their door wide open with red carpet and caviar for Toonami, which quite obviously has not been the case. 

I’d love nothing more to be proven wrong about all this and have Demarco drop a Crunchyroll owned hit on us in the coming weeks. But for the moment, we haven’t seen one bit of evidence that could be a possibility, so I don’t consider it to be one. 

Right, sequel seasons give us no real information. We only know what Jason tells us and I don’t think he even knows where they stand 

It’s like when I was told I didn’t know what I was talking about when I said Toonami wouldn’t get dub premieres from Funimation anymore before because they were airing Super and Titan. We all know those were controlled by an external party and an old favorable contract.