UnevenEdge

My first trip through BEASTARS

Icarus27k

Me at the start: Hey look, it's the anime version of that manga I saw everyday while working at a comic shop. I always loved having the books and art around. 

Me during the first season: I'm loving the fun and kitsch of it all. Sure, some may be weirded out by the sex and violence, but I still think it's fun. It's even relatable and real. 

Me halfway through the second season: uhhhh, okay. This is now Goodfellas with animals. What the hell, is our protagonist Daredevil now just out of the blue? 

This is my simplified reaction. Overall, I am loving it.

Edited by Icarus27k

I also found myself repeating out loud to no one whenever season 2 would do heavy social commentary. 

"'Segregation is good'? Is THAT what she just said?"

"Did that guy just say, 'meat addict'? And you're going to catch them and rehabilitate them?"

I would do this with delight. 

Such a weird, complex scene that I could endlessly think about in the context of social commentary. Without the satire, it makes no sense. 

I looked this up in the manga, and it's weird there too. 

Edited by Icarus27k

The anime is surprisingly jazzy and moody, and you don't really appreciate that on your first viewing or when reading the manga. Here's its score. 

"Genuine friendship," "Coexistence," "TEM is my friend"? What emotive song titles. I love it.

Edited by Icarus27k

• 2 weeks later...