UnevenEdge

Geoffrey Hinton quits Google to... "warn public of the danger of A.I."?

Lasty

While I think AI will make trash the standard, I in no way think it's ready to start killing us off.  Which is what these articles are implying.....I haven't taken the time to read one thoroughly because I assume that's the tone but I'll take a real look in a bit.

Personally, I think Seth MacFarlane is an AI and when he runs out of jokes, he just starts randomly killing characters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Lasty said:

Sounds like an anti A.I. propaganda stunt to me, considering that machine intelligence has the ability to liberate humanity from the various detriments of the monetary system.

Does it now?

It also has the potential to create a divide between the rich and poor like nothing ever seen before. 

• Thanks 1

I am baffled by the recent news cycle about AI. People who think AI is an existential risk to the world are being reported on with surprising little skepticism.

I think that's partly because of mainstream society's ignorance of the topic and partly because of our own existential angst. We just lived through a pandemic, balloons that had some people talking about extraterrestrials and a war with nuclear weapons in the background. So, of course, we have to talk about AI destroying us too. 

On 5/3/2023 at 3:01 PM, Insipid said:

Does it now?

It also has the potential to create a divide between the rich and poor like nothing ever seen before. 

Except not if we're not using money. Rich and poor would become anachronisms. Hard to make a gap bigger with the thing that eliminated the gap in the first place? >_O lol

8 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

I am baffled by the recent news cycle about AI. People who think AI is an existential risk to the world are being reported on with surprising little skepticism.

I think that's partly because of mainstream society's ignorance of the topic and partly because of our own existential angst. We just lived through a pandemic, balloons that had some people talking about extraterrestrials and a war with nuclear weapons in the background. So, of course, we have to talk about AI destroying us too. 

I think it's also that A.I. has the power to render the idea of money obsolete, so rich people keep coming up with ways to make it look bad. This is where we get propaganda pieces like Terminator, i-robot, etc. that all personify A.I. in a way that is not remotely accurate. If you smash a laptop in front of 50 other laptops, none of them are going to care.

The software that manages the power grid now is not even really A.I.. It predicts where electricity will be needed based on previous trends and distributes power accordingly. The same software could be used to govern the distribution of every other type of resource, so that everyone's everything is always on, just like the lights. (sustainably, too.you can seriously just program in additional protocols to the software) When your power goes out, it's because of a hardware failure, like a tree fell on the line, or because you did not play monopoly well enough. Never because those computers decided they didn't like you.

The simple fact is, we cannot solve our problems without the aid of A.I., it's too much for people to parse out.