UnevenEdge

bacon wrapped chicken

resurrected

Controversial opinion: I never understood the point of "bacon-wrapped" anything. For me, the whole purpose of bacon is to get somewhere along the way to crispy. But, wrapped around any bit of meat, it just fails to achieve anything resembling what it should be capable of. It's still just a bit of soggy floppy chewy fat. If the whole point is to sacrifice some bacon to imbue its essence into the actual dish, surely basting with bacon fat would get there all the same. Or some sort of bacon-based stuffing (cooked, chopped, mixed with... idk, something).

I don't think I've ever enjoyed eating the bacon from any bacon-wrapped dish. And that's just a bit disappointing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Controversial opinion: I never understood the point of "bacon-wrapped" anything. For me, the whole purpose of bacon is to get somewhere along the way to crispy. But, wrapped around any bit of meat, it just fails to achieve anything resembling what it should be capable of. It's still just a bit of soggy floppy chewy fat. If the whole point is to sacrifice some bacon to imbue its essence into the actual dish, surely basting with bacon fat would get there all the same. Or some sort of bacon-based stuffing (cooked, chopped, mixed with... idk, something).

I don't think I've ever enjoyed eating the bacon from any bacon-wrapped dish. And that's just a bit disappointing.

I cooked fish wrapped in bacon once. By the time it was done, the bacon was soggy and floppy. So I can relate to that all too well. I like my bacon nice and crispy, not floppy.

It's a matter of preference. Filet mignon is the absolute best choice for steak, and it has bacon wrapped around it. No one complains about a chef's dream of filet mignon. 

Speaking of the bacon wrapped chicken, the flavors of the chicken combined with the flavor of the bacon, just pops. There is also bbq sauce and cheese that goes on this dish. Along with fresh chopped scallions. Bacon doesn't always have to be crispy, especially when incorporated into a specific dish. Far as bacon slices for breakfast, it should be crispy. 

Eh, all I'm saying is, if the idea is to imbue bacon-ness into a dish, wrapping in bacon just seems like the least elegant means to accomplish it.

Ok, hear me out. Chicken breasts, big and plump, fit for cutting a pocket for stuffing. Cook your bacon in a pan as usual, nice and crispy, save the fat. Chop the cooked bacon and make, like, a cheddary, peppery stuffing. Maybe some onions, or those scallions would do. Jalapeno? That could maybe work, too. Stuff and cook, and I'm just assuming a grill is involved, so take that reserved bacon fat and baste those bitches. You've got bacon-ness outside, bacon-ness inside, with none of the flaccid-ness of bacon-wrapped anything.

Idk. It gets the job done. But I think there must be better ways of achieving that marriage of not just flavors but also textures. It's tasty, but maybe doesn't quite live up to its potential.

That said, I have also had this idea for bacon-wrapped grilled cantaloupe that I think might have some merit...

Why would you wrap filet mignon with bacon? Also, it ay be one of the most tender cuts for steak but it is not the most flavorful.

Also, if you cook bacon wrapped chicken on the grill and the bacon becomes floppy, you have failed. 

14 hours ago, stilgar said:

Why would you wrap filet mignon with bacon? Also, it ay be one of the most tender cuts for steak but it is not the most flavorful.

Also, if you cook bacon wrapped chicken on the grill and the bacon becomes floppy, you have failed. 

Filet mignon comes with bacon wrapped around the side of it. 

Far as you saying it's not the most flavorful, is a matter of opinion. I'll give you this. A Porterhouse is packed with flavor, but a filet mignon done right, can be packed as well.

12 hours ago, Real_AirCooledGirl said:

If I'm going to wrap anything in bacon, it'd better come out crispy.

My aunts, uncles, and I went to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner in 2019. I had bacon-wrapped shrimp as my appetizer. It was awesome.

Weren't you drooling over Packard's pork and beans with raw bacon in it?