UnevenEdge

What Happens To DBS Now?

we know a movie's coming and We've seen the schedule change for 5/29 bumping it to the end of block

so....does this mean toonami's finally given up on dragon ball?

many thought toonami were holding onto hopes that maybe a new dragon ball series would be announced

but now that it's clear we'll simply be getting a movie...I'm not sure if we'll be seeing much of DB once the Super rerun concludes

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Haha 1

Time to show DBZ Classic w/ Faulconer score at midnight for the next 7 years.

13 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Who cares? “Let the past die, kill it if you have to”

There could be another series a few years from now but until then, I say let the rights expire.

You are a brave man for shoving the stealth best Star Wars movie of the 21st century into this conversation.

Very brave man.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

You are a brave man for shoving the stealth best Star Wars movie of the 21st century into this conversation.

Very brave man.

Only if it’s your special edition.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Very brave man.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, Sketch said:

Who cares? “Let the past die, kill it if you have to”

There could be another series a few years from now but until then, I say let the rights expire.

i think becoming so dependent upon Dragon ball was something that truly hurt toonami

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

i think becoming so dependent upon Dragon ball was something that truly hurt toonami

It was pretty funny because at one point when fans were begging Demarco to show Dragon Ball, Demarco was saying how they didn't need it lmao.  Then of course, they got Kai once it was available, and then Super.

48 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

It was at the very least a double-edged sword. It got people watching in droves after Toonami had a rough year (2014) but it proceeded to set the ceiling too high for any other show to compete with it. It was like Family Guy or other FOX reruns in that regard. I do think getting Kai in late 2014 to replace Bleach was something of a necessary evil but I kind of wish they never got Kai Final Chapters or Dragon Ball Super. DBZ KFC just felt like schedule filler and airing it back to back with Super was so monotonous in for a year and a half.

Super definitely helped keep the lights on, so I can't really begrudge it. I just want them to move on to other things now that it has no fresh episodes to air.

Rerunning Super in 2020 was sensible overall because the block was loaded with reruns (maybe MHA reruns could have sufficed instead but I digress). Keeping it as the first show when the block has 6 premieres though? That's squandering the potential of six other shows. They should have let MHA season 5 have midnight from the start but I'm glad they finally are giving this lineup a shot. Hopefully the results are favorable.

Up until now Toonami has operated mainly with one flagship series playing every week. It was Bleach, then it was DBZ Kai, then it was DBS. Now the most popular anime in the US aren't airing non-stop in Japan so at the very least Toonami has no choice but to rely on a tag team of series like MHA and Demon Slayer as their headliners along with their original series. They have to trade stability for variety.

If they want to renew DBS and rerun it on weeknights to make up for the loss of Family Guy, then I'm all for that. Its a series that works for better on a weekday strip anyway. If it does well at 3:30 and they want to keep it for capping off Toonami every week the way InuYasha once did, then that's fine too. But as long as they have it on hand they'll probably always be tempted to put it in the first slot of Toonami again. So I'd rather they just let the license expire.

• Thanks 3