UnevenEdge

do you think we'll have two marathons in december?

CountFrylock

we already know about the primal marathon coming up and there's usually two marathons in december

although since they really aren't buying time for anything(black clover will return when it has enough dubbed episodes built up and the only announced show for January is an older series)and large celebrations are being heavily discouraged due to covid

I Don't see the reason to keep up the tradition of two marathons in december

I would say the 19th MIGHT be a normal day. It is also possible that our only December marathon is the 26th and we also get one on the 2nd of January. I would guess that one of the Holiday marathons (if there are 2) would be Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 in anticipation of the final season, which may be coming either January 2nd or 9th, since it is set to premiere in Japan on December 7th.

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

if the 19th isn't a normal schedule I'd be shocked

I wouldn't be. They had a marathon on December 19th in 2015 and they have ended the year with two marathon weekends ever since. Even with the current circumstances,  I would be surprised if they ran the regular lineup on December 19th. Right now I give it about a 30% chance they will air the regular lineup on December 19th.

• Like 1

the problem is there's nothing that toonami needs to buy time for right now so back to back to back marathons don't really make much sense right now

going from primal to the regular block for two weeks then marathons for two weeks doesn't really do much for toonami

the only thing they'd be buying time for currently would be fire force and even if you take away one marathon from december it's not gonna run out of episodes

everything else on the block is a completed dub

On 11/21/2020 at 8:42 PM, CountFrylock said:

the problem is there's nothing that toonami needs to buy time for right now so back to back to back marathons don't really make much sense right now

going from primal to the regular block for two weeks then marathons for two weeks doesn't really do much for toonami

the only thing they'd be buying time for currently would be fire force and even if you take away one marathon from december it's not gonna run out of episodes

everything else on the block is a completed dub

It wouldn't be buying time for something currently airing but it could buy time for something that will replace SAO in February.

For that matter we have no idea what their budget is gonna look like in 2021 so stretching all their current shows one more week isn't a terrible idea, not that they even need a reason to do it other than "it's close to Christmas". It wouldn't be the first time they had a marathon in October and the last week of November and then two in December.

But I would also prefer for them to run the regular line-up on December 19th this year because frankly that's almost a week before Christmas. I just wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they took it off as well.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Sketch said:

It wouldn't be buying time for something currently airing but it could buy time for something that will replace SAO in February.

For that matter we have no idea what their budget is gonna look like in 2021 so stretching all their current shows one more week isn't a terrible idea, not that they even need a reason to do it other than "it's close to Christmas". It wouldn't be the first time they had a marathon in October and the last week of November and then two in December.

But I would also prefer for them to run the regular line-up on December 19th this year because frankly that's almost a week before Christmas. I just wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they took it off as well.

The only caveat to having a marathon on December 19th is it gets the two over and done with. Then we go right back to normal January 2nd as opposed to waiting a whole week after New Years 

But truthfully, they really only need the one this year. They’d marathon logic as always evolved to suit their programming needs 

I think one reason a January 2nd marathon may be more attractive than a December 19th marathon is it buys time for a new show right in January (other than SSSS:Gridman, that is). If the final season of AOT still has a "dub must premiere on Toonami first" clause, as we have suspected since Season 2, buying time for the dubbing of the first few episodes would be a good thing, even if it has to go back into partial hiatus when Yasha-hime or something like that is ready.

• Like 1