UnevenEdge

Funimation app is done

HardcoreHunter

On PC

I was having issues so I tried a fresh install of the app and it would no longer install. Contacted funimation to ask whats up, and for some reason they're not longer giving support for pc. Sucks because their browser stream is hot fucking garbage compared to the app, and the app already wasn't anything special. 

bullshit.JPG

Being part of the PC gaming community, pretty much for a long time now until the last half decade a lot of companies didn't think much of the PC community, thinking that it's a small market so there'd be no point in supporting it, or even considering it to be riddled with piracy, because of that a lot of devs wouldn't release games on PC, or they'd do half-assed lazy ports. Then they finally got their heads out of their asses and realized just how profitable the PC platform is, where now even Microsoft and more surprisingly Sony is releasing their games onto it. The majority of game releases even if not available on a different console will still be released on PC.

Tying that into this here with anime and funimation, maybe it's a similar case where Funimation sees windows support as a gateway for piracy. Obviously they're able to see the numbers, and I'd imagine the grand majority of their traffic comes from apps on consoles or smart devices, so it's likely a case where they're using that to justify ending PC support, since it is easier to pirate on PC than elsewhere.

4 hours ago, elfie said:

...wait what? The app still works on my Google Chrome on my PC too, I admit I never used the app on here.

The funimation now app for windows is no longer supported. I was able to watch some stuff on mine but it was buggy as hell. Watching in your browser isn't using the app, it's using funimations garbage video player. The app will still work on xbox and ps. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

Being part of the PC gaming community, pretty much for a long time now until the last half decade a lot of companies didn't think much of the PC community, thinking that it's a small market so there'd be no point in supporting it, or even considering it to be riddled with piracy, because of that a lot of devs wouldn't release games on PC, or they'd do half-assed lazy ports. Then they finally got their heads out of their asses and realized just how profitable the PC platform is, where now even Microsoft and more surprisingly Sony is releasing their games onto it. The majority of game releases even if not available on a different console will still be released on PC.

Tying that into this here with anime and funimation, maybe it's a similar case where Funimation sees windows support as a gateway for piracy. Obviously they're able to see the numbers, and I'd imagine the grand majority of their traffic comes from apps on consoles or smart devices, so it's likely a case where they're using that to justify ending PC support, since it is easier to pirate on PC than elsewhere.

I think it could be more to do with them being owned by Sony than worries of piracy. That or they realized that people on pc using the app aren't using their garbage web player and getting hit with ads on their site. The app was more streamlined than their site and had a better video player. You also had to have a funimation subscription to use it, so it was more of a premium feature than the trash one offered for free by watching on their site. 

After so much time on Windows 7 I always forget Windows 10 has apps lol.

So I've been using the website this whole time when on the computer (or the apps on PS4 or Android TV when on the TV).

Are any of the viewing apps like amazon better than just using the websites?

Edited by DangerMouse

23 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

After so much time on Windows 7 I always forget Windows 10 has apps lol.

So I've been using the website this whole time when on the computer (or the apps on PS4 or Android TV when on the TV).

Are any of the viewing apps like amazon better than just using the websites?

If you have it on your tablet/phone/console it's the same app. Amazon I'd say the website is better than the app. Streaming services usually have better apps though. Netflix plays better in an app than it does in chrome. This is because chrome will adjust your video quality on the fly so that it can have more of that yummy ram for itself to run background processes and extensions. So even if you have a video set to 1080p, chrome after a while will often down scale it to 720p and hope you don't notice. If you've ever seen your vids stutter, but no buffering timer pop up it's because chrome is fucking with your settings. I've heard firefox does it as well, but it has an easy to access option to turn off. Chrome's takes more digging to find and turn off, but if you turn it off it's going to ask you every time you're on netflix to enable permissions for that site. 

8 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

If you have it on your tablet/phone/console it's the same app. Amazon I'd say the website is better than the app. Streaming services usually have better apps though. Netflix plays better in an app than it does in chrome. This is because chrome will adjust your video quality on the fly so that it can have more of that yummy ram for itself to run background processes and extensions. So even if you have a video set to 1080p, chrome after a while will often down scale it to 720p and hope you don't notice. If you've ever seen your vids stutter, but no buffering timer pop up it's because chrome is fucking with your settings. I've heard firefox does it as well, but it has an easy to access option to turn off. Chrome's takes more digging to find and turn off, but if you turn it off it's going to ask you every time you're on netflix to enable permissions for that site. 

Thanks. Yeah I wondering about their usefulness on the computer as opposed to just using the sites.

I do have the apps when it's other devices. Like on my phone I don't use the browser and use the apps.

Edited by DangerMouse