UnevenEdge

Persona 5 Royal

Distinct Lunatic

So, anyone here planning on getting this game, or have bought it? Just did and am waiting on it to download. I just played through the normal game a couple months back and was wanting to wait longer before diving back in, but I figure with all this going on, and me only working 4 hour days (still paid full amount) now's the best chance.

• D'oh 1

On 4/4/2020 at 9:41 PM, Chapinator-800 said:

I’ll wait til it’s a lot cheaper. My vanilla copy is PS3, but I’m not in a rush to experience the new material with Kasumi, Takuto, or Akechi and there aren’t many new features in Royal that I’d want to throw $60 down on. 

17 hours ago, Ric said:

I liked P5 but I'm no rush to spend another 100 or so hours with it. I'm sure I will get it eventually.

Right now I'm after Kaneshiro's palace, and just starting the Medjed stuff, and this game I'd say is definitely the definitive way to play the game, like if you ever do get the desire to play P5 again, I highly recommend going with Royal over the base game, there's so many quality of life improvements. When I heard about the two new added characters I just figured they'd be characters plugged in, and kind of stand out from the rest of the game since they weren't made when the game was, but Royal does change a significant amount of the in between dialogue and events, adding new ones that either take the place of old ones or add onto it. And as far as palaces go, I've gone through three of them and there was a good chunk of each on that was reshaped or restructured, I can't attest to later ones cause I haven't gotten that far, but I will say it seems like an average of 30% for each palace has been reshaped. I know beforehand that all the boss fights were being changed up to some degree. It's the same bosses, but different attacks, phases, attack patterns.

• D'oh 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went ahead and got it sooner than I expected to. I finished the second palace last night.

On 4/9/2020 at 6:42 PM, Distinct Lunatic said:

And as far as palaces go, I've gone through three of them and there was a good chunk of each on that was reshaped or restructured, I can't attest to later ones cause I haven't gotten that far, but I will say it seems like an average of 30% for each palace has been reshaped.

Doesn't feel like 30% to me so far, just the will seeds and the grappling hook don't really change much. Since it's been three years since I played the game though, between the time away from it and the new stuff it is feeling somewhat fresh so that's cool.

19 minutes ago, Ric said:

I went ahead and got it sooner than I expected to. I finished the second palace last night.

Doesn't feel like 30% to me so far, just the will seeds and the grappling hook don't really change much. Since it's been three years since I played the game though, between the time away from it and the new stuff it is feeling somewhat fresh so that's cool.

I played it back in December-January, and while they're still the same experience for the most part, they do feel rearranged a fair amount.

• D'oh 1

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying this sooner than expected. So far everything’s not too different based on where I’m at at the moment (Ryuji getting Captain Kidd), but I’m loving how they just gave me all the P5 DLC for free in the legacy bundle. The bonus from the Vanilla P5 cloud save isn’t too shabby either. I’m not as keen on the Last Surprise replacement, but because of that, I’ll be more open to trying out some of the outfits that include fight musics more often, especially the Persona 2 ones. 

30 minutes ago, Chapinator-800 said:

I ended up buying this sooner than expected. So far everything’s not too different based on where I’m at at the moment (Ryuji getting Captain Kidd), but I’m loving how they just gave me all the P5 DLC for free in the legacy bundle. The bonus from the Vanilla P5 cloud save isn’t too shabby either. I’m not as keen on the Last Surprise replacement, but because of that, I’ll be more open to trying out some of the outfits that include fight musics more often, especially the Persona 2 ones. 

There are parts of all the palaces that have been shaped differently, it's not a huge percent but it is a bit of a difference, some of it is to work in those three seeds that each palace now contains. I've also noticed a few new lines mixed in with things during many conversations, them also working in the two new characters in your school. It's not until the 3rd term that you'll see real new stuff.

Also make sure you have Akechi and the one school counselor at max by december, otherwise you'll just get the vanilla ending.

• D'oh 1

• 1 month later...

About halfway through the game. There are a few changes here and there that are nice so far like changing up some of the puzzles and boss fights. The darts mini game is pretty engaging too and I’ve spent too much time playing Tycoon in the Lounge.

I’m starting to realize that some the differences I’m coming across are surfacing only because I’m coming into this game far differently than I did 3 years ago. The story in the Kamoshida arc felt a lot more revolting, especially with his boss battle changes. But with Madarame and Kaneshiro, the cartoony behavior their shadows exhibit really took me out of it this time around. 

My romance choice was another dramatic change because I ended up liking Ann the most. Futaba was my favorite back in 2017 followed by Makoto. I also stuck by the “everyone is best girl” argument because there was never a bad choice in P5. But this time around, I’m far more interested in Ann‘s character and really came to fall for her.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chapinator-800 said:

About halfway through the game. There are a few changes here and there that are nice so far like changing up some of the puzzles and boss fights. The darts mini game is pretty engaging too and I’ve spent too much time playing Tycoon in the Lounge.

I’m starting to realize that some the differences I’m coming across are surfacing only because I’m coming into this game far differently than I did 3 years ago. The story in the Kamoshida arc felt a lot more revolting, especially with his boss battle changes. But with Madarame and Kaneshiro, the cartoony behavior their shadows exhibit really took me out of it this time around. 

My romance choice was another dramatic change because I ended up liking Ann the most. Futaba was my favorite back in 2017 followed by Makoto. I also stuck by the “everyone is best girl” argument because there was never a bad choice in P5. But this time around, I’m far more interested in Ann‘s character and really came to fall for her.  

I took several months off from P5R for various reasons, I think I was somewhere after Futaba's palace but don't think I started the one after that yet.

My very first playthrough of P5 I romanced Kawakami-sensei, second one I did Futaba and as much as I liked her I didn't care for that romance. In my current playthrough of P5R whenever I continue on with it, I'll likely pursue Kasumi. If I ever go on to do a second playthrough of it I think I'll likely go after Haru, I felt most bad back in my very first playthrough turning her down cause I was already with Kawakami-sensei.

• D'oh 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wrapping up the third semester. 

Spoiler

Honestly, the third semester felt like a an original movie made for a long-running shounen. I think Sumire didn’t have enough of a personality to seek my interest other than trying to live up to her sister’s image and sucking up to Joker because they want you to fall in love with her. Maruki was supposed to be a more sympathetic antagonist, but he felt very immature in how he used cognitive psience to create a reality that made everyone escape from their troubles. On top of that, it’s a dick move to use the info you got from confidential therapy sessions to use for your own interests against everyone’s wills.

It is nice to get a message that has the characters have more concrete and realistic plans for the future though, so thats a positive. I also like the third awakening personas with Celestine being my favorite of the bunch. I hated Akechi in the base game, but him being honest about being a psychotic asshole throughout the third semester was actually a fun change of pace. 

I also appreciate how the new story allowed Joker to have a Christmas date that’s not spent lying to your girlfriend about turning yourself in. Ann did end up being my main choice this time around, and will also end up being my choice for New Game +. Her dialogue on dates was adorable and I appreciate her empathy more now that it’s been 3 years since I’ve last picked up the game. However, I am eternally pissed that the adult choices aren’t nearly as hot to me as Coach Hiraguchi. Hiraguchi only shows up for a couple scenes, but I would’ve rather had her than Kasumi as a romanceable option. 

Aside from all that, the quality of life stuff has made it more worthwhile with some combat and daily life stuff being streamlined. The Showtimes are great with all of the Yusuke and Makoto ones being perfect. I enjoyed Kichijoji as a new location and all the new things it brought in. Little things like the third semester outfits and the Mementos music are perfect. Thieves Den is a fun addition and I’ve got a ton of mileage from Tycoon.